2.0 TDI (140) 8v vs 16v....confused

a3kjorer

Reaction score
Hi, have searched the forum but haven't found any exact match for my question.
Here in Norway I have the choice to choose between two different 2.0 TDI 140 engines for the A3, the 16 valve non-DPF version, and the 8 valve DPF version. Both reports the exact same power and torque data.

This bugs me;
On the older 1.9 TDI there is only the 8V version available both with or without DPF.
The newer 2.0 TDI 170 is using 16V both with or without DPF.
Why does the 2.0 TDI 140 come in different valves configurations depending on if you order it with or without the DPF???
Are they using a 8v enlarged 1.9 to feed the DPF as a 2.0 engine?

Thanks

Didn't know they did an 8 valver in Europe. I believe the 2.0 sold in the US is 8 valve and rated at 134bhp.

If it's true (and not a mis-print in the tech info) then they may have done it due to the altered breathing characteristics of a DPF equipped engine. TBH, diesels don't really need multi-valves as they don't really rev high enough anyway to take full advantage. I suspect it's more a marketing ploy although I believe the old 2.5 V6 was 24 valve in 163BHP versions and 30 valve in 180 bhp versions so perhaps it did make some difference

Hmm, looks like this might be true after some googleing...

When I have asked the sales persons, nobody could answer what the "real" difference between the 2 engines were.....

Which dealership did you go to? Skoeyen or Ensjoe? I got my car from Billingstad, the sales guys were not too helpful when it comes to technical information. They also did a poor job selling extra equipment. Fortunately I did all my homework so I know exactly what I want.

When it comes to DPF, it might be a good idea to get DPF since Norwegian road tax will soon increase for non-DPF cars. But 8 valves instead of 16 sounds a little strange ... let me know how you get on.

Just curious, what sort of discount you are negotiating?