Chris NottVolks Autos

Thread: Squeaky brakes?

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status

Squeaky brakes?

Why do brakes get squeaky and what can be done to stop them from squeaking?
    Ice Silver S3 + every single option + REVO + BSH Street Can + Forge Twintake + Autotech

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    mine send me daft
    2.0T Quattro SLine, now 320d Sport Touring

1st Gear

Status
    If you have changed brake pads not a long ago, maybe someone forgot to put special liquid on yor brake pads.
    Or another option which I had, small rock bump into your brakes noise i horrible.
    2005 A3 2.0TDI S-line quattro
    2007 S3 silver 300Hp
    2008 S3 sportback SprintBlue: Bucket seats, magnetic ride, RNSE, BOSE, Bluetooth, Carbonspeed CAI, Forge BOV... SOLD
    2009 A4 3.0TDI Ibis white with some goodies
    2011 S5 Sportback Sepang Blue with Milltek Race Exhaust

Third Gear

Status
    Mine have squealed from new, only at slow speeds though. Will get it checked at first service, can't be bothered going to the dealer just for the brakes. Copper slip on the back of the pad when assembling usually does the trick though.

Mark
    07 S3 Sprint Blue Now Sold
    12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Now sold
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

2nd Gear

Status
    Copper grease will help but the main problem is asbestos, or rather, the lack of it. Modern pads have substituted metal particles for it. Most of the sqeal comes from contact between the pad and the disk causing high-frequency vibrations in the same way as rubbing a wet finger around the rim of a large thin glass.
    A3 2.0TDI Sportback S Line 184 Quattro S-Tronic, Mar. 2014 Glacier white. Electric seats, sunroof, se suspension, heated folding mirrors, Reversing camera, Nappa leather, TPMS, Hold assist, Xenon plus adaptive lights with variable active range control, lane assist, Interior light pack, Technology pack, Comfort pack with ACC, park assist & parking system plus

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status
    Yes mine have squeaked from new as well and it also only seems to happen at low speeds. For example when coming to a stop in traffic.
    Ice Silver S3 + every single option + REVO + BSH Street Can + Forge Twintake + Autotech

2nd Gear

Status
    A low speed squeal is of little concern. It's very difficult ro remove. Abrading the pads may provide temporary relief but it will probably return. It's made worse if your car stands unmoved outside for days. The thin film of rust that forms contaminates the pads and adds to the problem.
    A3 2.0TDI Sportback S Line 184 Quattro S-Tronic, Mar. 2014 Glacier white. Electric seats, sunroof, se suspension, heated folding mirrors, Reversing camera, Nappa leather, TPMS, Hold assist, Xenon plus adaptive lights with variable active range control, lane assist, Interior light pack, Technology pack, Comfort pack with ACC, park assist & parking system plus