A3 Bluetooth Retrofit Instructions for RNS-E Anyone?

magnus911

R8GGA
Reaction score
Website
www.it-tronics.co.uk
Hi,

I'm really not being lazy honest! I've been through navplus and here etc and I can't seem to find a guide for retrofitting bluetooth to my RNS-E in my A3...

I have the Bluetooth module, the mic, the antenna and a wiring loom I got from Kufatec and now I need an idiot-proof guide, preferably with pictures..

Anyone know of a link to one?

Basically there are a load of cables coming out the end of the wiring loom and I'm not sure where they go... presumable I have to add them into the RNS-E wiring loom?

THanks in advance!

You dont have a plug and play harness? How many wires do you have that you need to connect? Think you only need to connect the CAN wires and the wires for the Mic? I recall that the muting of the stereo when a call is recieved is done via CAN so there shouldnt be many wires you need to connect to the rear of the RNS-E.

You will also need to code the CAN gateway with VAG-COM.

Issac,

thanks, I already got them to program the VAG-COM when it was serviced on Monday, because I already had half the kit and knew the installation was imminent!

Basically, the wiring loom is a pig 30Pin connector which plugs into the bluetooth unit. Then there are 8 loose cables coming away from it.

1 is for the microphone, easy
1 seems to be an earth connector with a ring at the end.
2 are grey and intertwined but not terminated in any way - one of which has 'high' printed on it.
1 is red and white with a small clamp-style connector on the end
3 are grey. 1 is printed NF+, another NF- and the last has 'stummshaltung' written on it.

Does that make any sense?!

magnus911 said:
1 is for the microphone, easy
1 seems to be an earth connector with a ring at the end.
2 are grey and intertwined but not terminated in any way - one of which has 'high' printed on it.
1 is red and white with a small clamp-style connector on the end
3 are grey. 1 is printed NF+, another NF- and the last has 'stummshaltung' written on it.
The microphone uses 2 wires, not 1? Is it a screened cable with an inner cable plus an outer screen?

The wire with the ring on is earth.

The two grey intertwined wires are the CAN bus - high and low.

The red and white one goes to a permanent +12V.

The NF+ and NF- go to the NF+ and NF- input pins on the Audi radio/sat-nav.

The one marked "stummshaltung" goes to the Mute input on the Audi radio/sat/nav.

I just ordered a factory bluetooth module with all the block connectors etc so it should plug and play and then need programming.

I've searched everywhere but still can't find the answer as to where to put the module!

1. behind the head unit?
2. above the glovebox(suitable for an A4 but not sure about an A3 8P)
3. Under passenger seat(UK car) in the special plastic box to avoid the damp)

My head unit is a Double Din concert with Bose and MFSW(2007 A3 SB)

any advice would be great!

thanks

I havent got pictures at the moment but when I did mine it fitted perfectly just under the glovebox, you cant see it as its kind of between the glove box and the sound proofing, works perfectly too. I used the thich "no nails"tape to hokld it in place without any issues.

I'm also in the same situation as Magnus.. Got the unit ready to go in, but by the looks of it there's some splicing of wires etc needing done.. Idiot proof guide would be most helpful!

I havent got pictures at the moment but when I did mine it fitted perfectly just under the glovebox, you cant see it as its kind of between the glove box and the sound proofing, works perfectly too. I used the thich "no nails"tape to hokld it in place without any issues.

When you say under the glovebox would mean almost the very top of the passenger footwell?

I bought the plug and play harness from Kufatec after getting a bluetooth module off ebay that required splicing etc. Was a lot easier.

Yeah thats what i need, although a quick look on ebay shows none available :(

Unlikely to find on ebay unfortunately so Kufatec direct is what you need

Ok heres the pictures, sorry there not very good. I think I might end up putting a piece of stick back blach vinly or something over the underside so if you look up at it it wont be noticeable. Anyway its only a few small bolts that hold it in, cant remember if there 8 or 10 mm.3 on the upper lip. 1 near the light at the back and 1 or 2 behind the panel on the outer dash. Disconnect the batter first though before you unplug the glove box electrics of youll have the airbag warning light on like I had, even though I had turned the airbag off with the key.

These first pic`s are looking up at it from the floor of the footwell.
f2e39bd1.jpg

829d3dac.jpg

This one is what you see when you look straight on at it. You cant see it as its slightly above the level of the lowest part of the glove box.
dc83ed3e.jpg

I tried to put it above the glove box at first , then behind it but had no joy I may eventually extend the loom for it to go under the passanger seat as it seems easy enough to extend. It works perfectly as it is though so if its not broken.....

Welshwoody,

thanks for the post, that's where I'll put mine so.

I'll just have to make sure passengers don't stretch their feet up there and kick it.

One last question, does the ariel point towards the passenger seat and sit in behind the end of the dash?

I always & my advice is to fit it under the seat, reason being the antenna is very delicate & can get damaged, also mobiles are usually placed on passenger seat so best connection then :)

Welshwoody,

thanks for the post, that's where I'll put mine so.

I'll just have to make sure passengers don't stretch their feet up there and kick it.

One last question, does the ariel point towards the passenger seat and sit in behind the end of the dash?

Yes mine points towars the passanger seat but is shielded by the plastic of the glovebox. Ive tried sitting in the passanger seat to kick the box but unless your tying to do it purposely I dont think its an issue at all.

Guys, this link may help you out a little, it's from when I did my installation Another RNS-E BT retro fit..HELP NEEDED | Audi Forum

I put my BT Module behind the Sat Nav unit, I also wired it a different way so I can do the SDS hack later on, I wire the Mic to the head unit (mic in + & -) and the out of the head unit to the BT module (mic out + & -).

I did the RNS-E SDS hack months after installation, I started a few threads on it too. It wasnt a problem where it was then either.

I always & my advice is to fit it under the seat, reason being the antenna is very delicate & can get damaged, also mobiles are usually placed on passenger seat so best connection then :)

Do you run all the cables from under the seat under the kick guard by the door or along the transmission tunnel?

I got my bluetooth module today, the loom is too short to allow fitting under the seat so I'll have to go under the glovebox and then extend the loom sometime in the future.

Has anyone got a coding guide for bluetooth with a Concert double din using a VCDS?

cheers

A fairly large bump for close on a year old post but..........

Has anyone got a definitive guide to where to wire the Kufatec wires should go as i just have loose wires and no ISO blocks?