Audi warranty!

Dandle

Reaction score
Just a bit of a rant to vent my anger.

At 3.5k I noticed the drivers seat bolster had wear marks on the leather llike the black dyed area had split a bit. Audi replaced the cover under warranty but the car had to go back five times over the next 8 months due to a sqeaky seat, which they finally fixed.

Now at 13.5 k miles the passenger seat has the same signs of damage. I took it back to the dealers last week and the warranty manager said it was wear and tear and blamed us for letting go of the seat belt so it could fly back. The car has been our pride and joy and theres no way we would tread it badly, I dont even let any one else wash the thing. So I rang Audi UK and said that I don't think 13.5k miles is fair wear on the seat considering that my wife drives the car on her own most of the time and that the passenger seat is only used twice a week at the most. Two times they were supposed to ring back they never bothered. Then when I spoke to them they say they are backing the warranty manager and its wear and tear. I'm ****** fuming now that we are treated so badly after shelling out £27k of our money on what we thought was a premium brand to be told the seat covers are fair wear at only 18months old and with so little use. I would be annoyed if a 16k focus had the same wear let alone this car.

Ive been on to trading standards and they agree that I have a case so I'm now having to draft and official letter to Audi and will then have to pay to get the seat covers independantly tested.

I was even lining up an A6 avant as my next car but this will be the last Audi I will buy for a very long time if ever again. I have freinds who have bought second hand BMWs and had warranty issues and theres never even been a quible. So much for customer service at Audi.

Rant over thanks for reading.

They will probably never agree as there was/still is a issue with wear on the bucket seats in the S3/RS4 with the bolsters creasing badly in no time at all.

They are probably thinking if they replace yours then this will open the floodgates for all!

Keep at it though, just start mentioning the local press motoring mags etc as this always scares them getting bad press.

I was speaking to someone the other week and they were telling me a story about a situation in the States where Audi had an issue with one of the 2.7 engines letting go (may have been the turbos actually), and although it was 'a known issue' Audi defiantly stood their ground and would not cover the issue under warranty. In the end one guy who was wealthy enough took Audi to court and the car sat for 9 months during the process. Eventually Audi agreed to by the car back off this owner at full price rather than admit the issue which would have opened the floodgates for loads of repairs.

I really feel for you mate, to be frank its f*king disgusting. At time its a farse they can call themselves premium. To be honest I think Audi have a lot to learn and the experience I have had to date is $h1t. I love Audi's but am thinking hard about whether I want another one. We may pay through the nose but its only for a plastic badge, and a brand perception.

Best of luck.

My cloth seat was wearing after 6k miles, and like you, I take care of the car. I just can't be bothered to go to Audi as I know from past experience how shocking they are with warranty issues.

Had an official response back from Audi after sending a complaint recorded delivery. The still state that its just wear and tear and wont replace the cover under warranty. After taking legal advice and talking to an indpendant testing company Im now going to get the leather tested, if it fails I will be taking Audi to court and even have the option of rejecting the vehicle.

It seems after searching the net that theres alot of problems with the leather(vienna) Audi,VW and seat are using with the finish both wearing thin and cracking.

Quick question, Dandle.
Have you ever treated, or fed, the leather?
I'm used to doing it for motorbike gear, so the leather in my car gets the same treatment.
No cracks/splits/flaking in mine, after 3 years.
I'm not saying yours isn't faulty, it may well be.
It's just that a lot of people seem to think leather is maintenance free, which it isn't.

Yes i have looked after the leather its been cleaned and fed with Swissol products which werent cheap. Thats when I first noticed the wear on the drivers side at 7 months old.

Sod all wrong with the way you're looking after it then.
Out of sheer nosiness, what independent experts you using?
There are a few motorcycle leather makers in London, they'll know good leather from bad at a glance.
Right off the top of my head you have Mike Willis at MW leathers in East Ham.
020 8471 3933
He knows more about leather than the Village people.

The company I'm talking to at the moment is http://www.satra.co.uk/. But could do with more recommendations of leather experts that are nearer me. It would be wise to get a couple of reports if we make it to court. Cheers.

i must say my experience of audi warranty issues is the opposite to all of you, ive owned 3 audis over a number of years and although i have had my fair share of faults, my warranty problems have been dealt with in a manner better than i expected.

I.E i have a pixel dead on my instrument cluster (which i admit is an obvious warranty problem) it takes 10minutes to fix, which i dont have as i work like a lunatic so they are lending me a courtesy car and keeping mine for 2 days just so i dont waste 10 mins of my time!

Never ever been questioned re any fault ive reported... 1 A4 2 A3's...

Quite shocking to hear you have been treated like you have said, sounds like either what has been said above, or some numpty has said the wrong thing and they dont want to make it look like they employ numpties...

Hope you get it sorted, let us know the outcome...:icon_thumright:

I have posted before about the way warranty and the dealer network works, basically the dealer has targets, and it's in their interest not to make non essential (and expensive) claims. Dependent on the dealers spending habits sometime another dealer down the road will see thing differently (i.e. have more warranty budget). Obviously the outsourced UK Audi Customer Service rep will always back the dealer.

I think the small claims court would be the way to go, should be a simple thing to win, and you only have to outlay about £25 and a day of your time. The question is will Audi see you in court?

I have stopped buying cars with unsuitable interior materials (not just leather) cos I can't be bothered with the stress. Car manufactures have been pushing posh super soft leather like "Nappa" etc, saying they breath and are more comfortable, but the truth is they last about 5 mins before they look rubbish. I am the sole user of my cars, and they are immaculate after 40K miles (about 2 year) apart from if a (posh) leather seat is fitted, in which case you might as well have a seat of a different colour. I force myself to only have cloth because its then not an issue, but this limits my car purchases, i.e. an A3 with cloth is OK ish for resale, but a cloth A6 is a no go. It hasn't always been this way it's a modern MATT leather thing. I have a 12 year old car, I have owned from new, which had shiny hard wearing leather on day one, the seat look as good today, no cracks or splits, Audi can't make a TT's leather last a few months.

In addition, I have also stopped buying cars with unsuitable exterior materials, a lesson I have just learned, but one I could not put into practise with my current A3 because the dealer did not have the wheels I ordered on a car to see. The centre caps on my wheels have a polished ally ring which starts to corrode about a month after fitting. 6 months into ownership and 4 centres already, not to mention, 2 steering racks, 1 wheel before delivery, 1 headunit all before I have needed to top up the screen wash.

Stick to your gun's

Chris.

Im going to be taking this to court without a doubt. Didnt think of small claims though. The letter I had back from Audi customer services was funny. It wasnt on headed paper , didnt have the company adress at the top and was just signed by someone with no job title or anything. It looked like someone knocked it up at home and was very unproffesional. Normally any Audi post is coved in company logos even the envelopes.

Heres some pics of my seat, they were taken in the dark so arent perfect but you get the idea. Its not as bad as the drivers seat was at 3.5k but is getting worse.
IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg

As far as I know leather/cloth trim is covered up to six months from faults like this. Leather will crease no matter how well you treat it.

Can I ask how much you weigh? The wear on that bloster appaers to be the result of someone sliding in/out/against the blooster when they get in the car?

You mean they're not meant to look like that? My 1/2 leather sportback does too

I'll phone Audi tomorrow and see what they say

They'll look how you treat them really, leather ages over time as well.

I've just noticed the leather is torn/scratched on the seam of the boulster, is that what you're complaining about?

bacardi said:
n aaaah, its the ripples that get to me

You need to rear this thread the http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/ttforumbbs/viewtopic.php?t=98842&sid=8db1094905663d31b8eafda68d03594d

The wear on that seat isnt from someone sliding in and out of it. Even if it was there is a clause in Audis warranty that states 6 months or 6250miles or so they have quoted me. Where I believe I stand legally after talking to both trading standards and from taking legal advise, is that under the sales of goods act section 14(2B) For the purposes of this Act, the quality of goods includes their state and condition and the following (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods—

(a) fitness for all the purposes for which goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied,
(b) appearance and finish,
(c) freedom from minor defects,
(d) safety, and
(e) durability.

And I(and the advise i have taken) dont believe these seat covers live up to this. I paid 27k for a car which at 13k miles im told is expected to have a seat cover wear out. I drive a 99 Volvo T4 which has a better condition leather in it at 100k miles than my 27k 18 month old Audi(not forgetting the drivers seat cover change at 3.5K miles). I dont think its unreasonable for the seat to look good for 60k miles and if its the seat belt thats worn them like my dealer claims then it must be a design fault which is unfit for purpose.

Dandle said:
You need to rear this thread the http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/ttforumbbs/viewtopic.php?t=98842&sid=8db1094905663d31b8eafda68d03594d

The wear on that seat isnt from someone sliding in and out of it. Even if it was there is a clause in Audis warranty that states 6 months or 6250miles or so they have quoted me. Where I believe I stand legally after talking to both trading standards and from taking legal advise, is that under the sales of goods act section 14(2B) For the purposes of this Act, the quality of goods includes their state and condition and the following (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods—

(a) fitness for all the purposes for which goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied,
(b) appearance and finish,
(c) freedom from minor defects,
(d) safety, and
(e) durability.

And I(and the advise i have taken) dont believe these seat covers live up to this. I paid 27k for a car which at 13k miles im told is expected to have a seat cover wear out. I drive a 99 Volvo T4 which has a better condition leather in it at 100k miles than my 27k 18 month old Audi(not forgetting the drivers seat cover change at 3.5K miles). I dont think its unreasonable for the seat to look good for 60k miles and if its the seat belt thats worn them like my dealer claims then it must be a design fault which is unfit for purpose.

The TT seat base issue is a known problem with Audi and there is a fix in operation, therefore all repairs have been postponed. It only affects TT's with a particular seat base and leather combination (which isn't the type fitted as standard to A3 S-lines). You're adding 2 + 2 and getting 6.

Looking at the pictures of your seat, I can see;

1) Wear on the leather due to someone 'collapsing' when they rest on the backrest.
2) Small cuts in the leather from wear someone has possibly had a zip/broken button rubbed against it
3) A mark from where someone has dug the seatbelt in.

My A3 S-line has covered 16000 miles and does not show any signs of wear; it's been cared for as Audi recommend with the Audi Genuine cleaning kit every 3 months.

Wear on seat covers is covered up to 6000 miles; this is because for all Audi know you could be Mr Creosote from Monty Python.

I do appreciate that nelson about the TT/A5 covers but i posted that link for info. Im not saying all A3 seat covers are the same but the one we had replaced at 3.5k(drivers) shows non of the signs of wear after 10k more of driving in it. Yet the passenger seat which is hardly ever used is wearing now at 13k. As the woman said at trading standards, wear and tear on a 30k car(we paid 27k) isnt expected 13k miles, we have paid for a premium for a premium brand. As for your Mr Creosote commment im not alittle guy at 17stone but i dont use the car and wasnt told at the time of buying it isnt suitable for someone of my build anyway. As i have said the volvo I drive every day doesnt have these signs of wear and i dont believe it is acceptable. If i bought a 15k focus i would be peaved and ive paid twice that.

Audi said "yup, that's wear and tear"

Clearly I should stop using the car, then the seats would be fine and I'd not need to phone them up for warranty work

I guess it would not use anymore wheel bearings either :)

this week has an article about a very disgruntled TT owner whose seats started to go loose and wrinkly. Mr Audi replaced the cover under warranty but (guess what) it's gone again and they say it's part of the character of the leather..........

steveg9 said:
this week has an article about a very disgruntled TT owner whose seats started to go loose and wrinkly. Mr Audi replaced the cover under warranty but (guess what) it's gone again and they say it's part of the character of the leather..........

That is another issue but it just proves what Audi think of their customers and is the reason I now drive a BMW:). I have the letter still though telling me that with 13k miles and 18months old it is acceptable for Audi leather seats to wear out.