S3 (8P) Spark plug update

warren_S5

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
As some of you will be aware I had some issues with spark plugs recently. The issue is now resolved and they are replaced with some OE ones paid for by yours truly (getting great value for money from my Audi fixed price maintenance contract then!!! :mad:

Anyway, that aside I went off to source some new plugs incase I get caught short again. Sparkplugs.co.uk had some fairly decent info on their website about the difference between the different standards of plugs. Firstly hardly anyone other than Audi had the parts listed as the car is too new. It turns out they are the same plugs as used in Audi's 2.0TFSi TT based on the cross reference from the number on the plug.

I have subsequently ordered a set of NGK Iridium IX's (BKR6EIX). The plug gap for this model is 0.8mm.

There is some fairly interesting information on the key differences between NGK and Denso Iridium plugs (based on the size of the centre electrodes which is 0.2mm thicker on the NGK's) here

The OE equivalent part number is PFR6Q (for NGK) and this is a double platinum plug.

A set of four Iridium XI's has cost me around £30 including Royal Mail Special delivery. A damn site cheaper than the £43 for the Bosch one's in the car which look like they are not that well made (to the point where I'm not convinced they haven't been made under license as they are VAG badged).

Also check the Bosch site as they have some new 4 electrode plugs which look fairly decent.

I'll feedback as to any difference one they are fitted and running.

Cheers
Warren

Thanks for the info mate :icon_thumright: Especially important if one is considering a remap in the future :eyebrows:

Just out of interest what fuel i.e. vpower, etc do you normally stick in your car? Just wondered if that could account for the colour of your old sparkplugs????

garypaul said:
Just out of interest what fuel i.e. vpower, etc do you normally stick in your car? Just wondered if that could account for the colour of your old sparkplugs????

V-Power all the time. Its had one tank of Ultimate and half a tank of Tesco 99RON in its 9,000mile life. That said I have run octane booster on 3 occasions.

I have been told that the OE plugs don't like high speed runs so it may have been that which caused the issue. I only did 6 laps at Castle Combe so I doubt this would be enough to kill the plugs though.

I've just changed from NGK platinums back to OEM Bosch sparks. Car feels awesome and hesitation is gone that was evident at 5k rpm.

Rabbit222 said:
I've just changed from NGK platinums back to OEM Bosch sparks. Car feels awesome and hesitation is gone that was evident at 5k rpm.

Is your car a 2.0T (8P) or a 1.8T (8L)? Did your car need a routine change of plugs, or was your issue similar to mine?

I'm scratching my head over the issue of spark plugs. I now they provide a vital component of the combustion process, BUT how can we be getting such a bizarre range of symptoms, and some people seem not to be getting any issues at all. You'd think the plugs would all be much of a muchness.

boggysv said:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1630800

Might want to have a look at the thread above even though its under the 1.8T section.

Have you been remapped? Or do you drive very aggressively?

I don't drive very aggressively at all. When my wife is a passenger national speed limits always apply everywhere. I think short journeys have been a contributing factor as the car rarely gets warm when I use it to go to work. As its fuelling heavier on cold start and then not warming up it is probably caking the plugs. I've changed jobs recently and the commute is longer so hoping it will cure itself.

Warren,

Have you fitted the NGK's? If so, do you notice any difference?

CJP80 said:
Warren,

Have you fitted the NGK's? If so, do you notice any difference?

No mate, hoping to get them done tomorrow or Wednesday. Our house is being decorated this week, and I've spent the entire week shifting furniture from room to room, and making tea!

I have to put my Carbonia back on to as I took this off at dealer request.

The Bosch plugs appear to be coping, but I've only done 300 miles on them so far, and the car hasn't yet done 3 figure speeds since fitting them.

I'll do some photos when I spin them over.

warrencox said:
Is your car a 2.0T (8P) or a 1.8T (8L)? Did your car need a routine change of plugs, or was your issue similar to mine?

I'm scratching my head over the issue of spark plugs. I now they provide a vital component of the combustion process, BUT how can we be getting such a bizarre range of symptoms, and some people seem not to be getting any issues at all. You'd think the plugs would all be much of a muchness.

Car has got about 5000 kms on it, started misfiring and hesitating at 5k rpm and I knew that spark plugs were the cause. I was advised to fit the NGKs and strangely enough they turned out to be the issue so I refitted my stock plugs after chatting to REVO KEV via email. Car is much more responsive and I am loving it!

Oh yeah, I'm running same mods as you...REVO, Oettinger Ram air.....

guys look at my reacent thred as im having a hell of a time with my revo remap

hi guys ive got a 2010 audi s3 with an mtm map and also having an issue with spark plugs,
mapped at 7k started suddering at 7300k took back under warranty had new audi plugs,at 11300
same issue again so fitted ngk BKR7EIX lasted 2k same issue again so fitted factory ones back and took back to audi,
was put on lap top no fault codes then sent off to audi for more extensive diag into cause,was told audi are aware of this and currently working on a solution short term fix is to fit another set!!!so on to my next set and all is ok for now!any more info call me on 07977334041 col