Anyone remapped a TDI 170 yet?

Garth_S3

Reaction score
As title. I'm in the process of selling my remapped 330cd (anyone interested? ;))
and have just placed an order for a new A3 2.0 TDI 170 Quattro S-Line but am sure I'm going to be massively dissapointed with the drop in performance.

I am coming from a remapped S3 (2003) before I got the Beemer so I know that the A3 is never going to be as quick as either but how much quicker can I make it with a remap??

Anyone got any experiences of the difference once mapped?

Cheers

I personally do not know anyone who has remapped a 170 TDI yet,

I had heard reports of increases, easily to 215hp without trying

But in the same instance I have heard horror stories about remapped 170 TDI's setting fire to the diesel particulate filter.

Superchips also withdrew there remap for the 170 TDI for a while, during this time it was revised.

only a moddest 200hp remap is now avalible and no "bluefin" option.

But after remapping my 140 TDI with superchips, I have to say I trust there products , and if I had a 170 TDI, a superchips remap would be the first port of call, after collection of the car.

quick question what made you change from the 330cd ????

Don't know of anyone who has had a remap and I wouldn't recommend one either as there are too many problems still to be sorted out with this power unit. I wouldn't trust anyone's warranty either after the demise of AMD.

Having said the above RSD offer an Oettinger remap taking it up to about 200 but it's not cheap at around £700. But RSD do have a reputation for understating their power upgrades and offer a full warranty.

At least run your new vehicle a little while without an upgrade to see if any manufacturers faults appear as you could do without the aggro of running back to one tuning company who may be a distance away.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

stevehsv868 said:
But after remapping my 140 TDI with superchips, I have to say I trust there products , and if I had a 170 TDI, a superchips remap would be the first port of call, after collection of the car.

quick question what made you change from the 330cd ????
My 330cd has a superchips remap... and it's awesome, but I'm driving loads more than I was 6 months ago and I want a car that's slightly more economical, plus I really miss the quattro of the S3 and overall I just want to save some money... The Beemer is mine, the A3 will be a company car.

I am of course only querying the remap as I couldn't possibly remap a company car ;)

stevehsv868 said:
Don't know of anyone who has had a remap and I wouldn't recommend one either as there are too many problems still to be sorted out with this power unit. I wouldn't trust anyone's warranty either after the demise of AMD.
Demise of AMD? Have they gone out of business? It was them that remapped my S3 and it was superb. This was to replace the Revo map that I initially had that the car seemed to hate

The switchable Revo remap is due out at the end of the month, it's been tested for about 6 months on the development car with no problems with the DPF. Initial figures from the rollers at Stealth were 225bhp and 330lb ft, but the production version may be de-tuned slightly. The fun has been the new flashing routines as they are Siemens ecus not the original Bosch ones on the PD140s. I've got a couple of customers waiting, I'll post an update when the first ones are done.

Garth_S3 said:
Demise of AMD? Have they gone out of business? It was them that remapped my S3 and it was superb. This was to replace the Revo map that I initially had that the car seemed to hate

AmD have sold out to BBT (Big Boys Toys). BBT were originally a Revo dealer, but they seem to be using the AmD name so the product must still exist. THey are no longer based in Bicester, they have moved to Essex.

mikep said:
The switchable Revo remap is due out at the end of the month, it's been tested for about 6 months on the development car with no problems with the DPF. Initial figures from the rollers at Stealth were 225bhp and 330lb ft, but the production version may be de-tuned slightly. The fun has been the new flashing routines as they are Siemens ecus not the original Bosch ones on the PD140s. I've got a couple of customers waiting, I'll post an update when the first ones are done.
Can you give any idea on the power delivery on this? In had Revo on my Ibiza Cupra and the boost spike was far too big low down which just resulted in masses of wheelspin. It was similar on my S3 with stuttering and hesitation, this is why I replaced it with the AMD remap. I'm looking for a map that is as smooth and progressive as possible

warrencox said:
AmD have sold out to BBT (Big Boys Toys). BBT were originally a Revo dealer, but they seem to be using the AmD name so the product must still exist. THey are no longer based in Bicester, they have moved to Essex.

I've heard bad things about Big Boys Toys... really bad things :sadlike: