test drive in a BMW 120D M SPORT

stevehsv868

Unofficial Audi UK Endurance Test Driver
Reaction score
Please feel free to shoot me down, but after various warrenty issues with ym A3, I crossed to the dark side, and went to a test drive in a BMW 1 series 2.0 diesel

I want something more driver focused, so I thought i would give it a go

and im pleased to say I though it was............. Terrible

spec 2007 07 reg 9,000 miles 120D 164hp M sport trim

Firstly when i pulled off the car juddered , like the clutch pressure plate was giving uneven pressure. and then it was difficult to make a smooth gearchange, without concentrating.

The gearbox felt like it was from a tractor, I actually told the salesman , "my toyota hilux has a better gearbox" , and i wasent joking. its was stiff , and difficult to get in gear, certainly not the smooth gearbox of various Audi's i have driven.

The indicators are terrible , why they had to change it from the normal set up i dont know, what is the benifit ??????????????

and the engine !!!!! it felt like i had left the handbrake on , it felt flat and lifeless , it was very quiet , but the car felt slow and heavy . nothing like the 170 tdi of audi , the BMW didnt have the turbo lag of the audi 170 , but it felt so slow and lifeless.

the good point was it was excellent in the corners , very nice with precise steering. and an excellent chassis , very ballanced

but with that gearbox and a flat engine, there is no way im swapping my A3 :kissmyrings:

How different views people have. Personally I liked the engine, it had a N/A petrol feeling (apparently you didn't like that part ;)), but rest of the car just doesn't live up to it.

It's not even that special to drive in my opinion. And I'm not alone, I've read a lot of bad reviews from 1-series coupe, that it's not so special as it should be. I think Auto Express said even Golf GTI special edition is nicer to drive.

Anyway, 1-series is not the best BMW can provide.

I drove a 118d and 120d before buying the A3 TDI 170. The beemer was sooo cramped inside and felt very basic even in SE trim. The ride on the run-flats was hard and very bumpy. And the engine felt pretty sluggish & lifeless. It drove nicely but didn't grip or impress like the quattro.