Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
    Unofficial Audi UK Endurance Test Driver

Status

test drive in a BMW 120D M SPORT

Please feel free to shoot me down, but after various warrenty issues with ym A3, I crossed to the dark side, and went to a test drive in a BMW 1 series 2.0 diesel

I want something more driver focused, so I thought i would give it a go

and im pleased to say I though it was............. Terrible

spec 2007 07 reg 9,000 miles 120D 164hp M sport trim

Firstly when i pulled off the car juddered , like the clutch pressure plate was giving uneven pressure. and then it was difficult to make a smooth gearchange, without concentrating.

The gearbox felt like it was from a tractor, I actually told the salesman , "my toyota hilux has a better gearbox" , and i wasent joking. its was stiff , and difficult to get in gear, certainly not the smooth gearbox of various Audi's i have driven.

The indicators are terrible , why they had to change it from the normal set up i dont know, what is the benifit ??????????????

and the engine !!!!! it felt like i had left the handbrake on , it felt flat and lifeless , it was very quiet , but the car felt slow and heavy . nothing like the 170 tdi of audi , the BMW didnt have the turbo lag of the audi 170 , but it felt so slow and lifeless.

the good point was it was excellent in the corners , very nice with precise steering. and an excellent chassis , very ballanced

but with that gearbox and a flat engine, there is no way im swapping my A3
    LAND ROVER DEFENDER 2.5 Td5
    EGR valve removed, DE-cat down pipe, Turbo boost pressure increased to 22 psi, Upgraded full size intercooler, Stage 3 remap, single mass flywheel conversion, with performance pressure plate and racing friction disc. 210hp 500 Nm

The Audi A3 2.0 TDI S line DSG Has gone and forgotten

2. # ADS
    ADS

yak
    2nd Gear

Status
    How different views people have. Personally I liked the engine, it had a N/A petrol feeling (apparently you didn't like that part ), but rest of the car just doesn't live up to it.

It's not even that special to drive in my opinion. And I'm not alone, I've read a lot of bad reviews from 1-series coupe, that it's not so special as it should be. I think Auto Express said even Golf GTI special edition is nicer to drive.

Anyway, 1-series is not the best BMW can provide.
    Audi A3 2,0 FSI -04, Honda CB 600F Hornet -07

Full speed ahead

Status
    I drove a 118d and 120d before buying the A3 TDI 170. The beemer was sooo cramped inside and felt very basic even in SE trim. The ride on the run-flats was hard and very bumpy. And the engine felt pretty sluggish & lifeless. It drove nicely but didn't grip or impress like the quattro.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by yak
    Anyway, 1-series is not the best BMW can provide.
    Amen to that.
    For those that need convincing, go drive a D3.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3