Filling Up Washer Fluid

emzino

Reaction score
Hey. Driving last night to get a warning on the DIS to refill the Washer Fluid. Could anyone advise which to get? Should I get Audis or is there a better one?

I know it sounds silly but I don't just want to fill it up with water, I want the good stuff :)

Thanks in advance.

in my opinion abit of water mixed with nice scented washing up liquid or something witha ouch of anti freeze. then when you clean your screen a nice scent should spread throughout the car....

this is my personal opinion and i wasnt aware audi actually make there own washer fluid...what will they think of next, i suppose you could buy that but a bottle of water for 5 - 10 quid, id rather improvise and spend the money on a nice chinese for the night.

I don't think it matters particularly which brand you use. There has been some posts recently on here slating the Halfords stuff to I'd stay clear of that if I were you. The Audi stuff is £2 a bottle and is concentrated so you mix it with water to the required strength. (varies depending on time of year, stronger mix for winter gives better anti freezing). It also smell really nice.

I personally wouldn't use washing up liquid as per the previous post. Household washing up liquid will remove any waxes and polishes you have applied. Not a problem on the glass itself but will be for the paintwork where excess washer fluid ends up.

Well thank you very much for your input guys, learnt abit there =)

But does the Audi stuff actually contain anti-freeze too?

emzino said:
Hey. Driving last night to get a warning on the DIS to refill the Washer Fluid. Could anyone advise which to get? Should I get Audis or is there a better one?

I know it sounds silly but I don't just want to fill it up with water, I want the good stuff :)

Thanks in advance.

The good stuff you say eh?

Try Asda, about £1.75 for a decent amount...

Not sure who posted what comments about Halfords - but their "Double Concentrate" came out top in Autoexpress tests and I'm happy with that.....

Do a search on AutoExpress produc tests and just go with what they recommend. Theyr'e doing proper comparative testing and noone else does that - they just post a personal opinion....

Whatever you do DONT use anti-freeze in the mix as suggested above, as this damages paint!!!!

Also, even washing up liquid damages the rubbers on the wipers and screen surround eventually, and also strips off any polish and wax on the paint it touches so steer away from that too....

For the sake of a few quid, go with one of the products that Auto Express recommends....

Personally I use Audis own product. I have used it for many years and found it to be generally better than most run of the mill products.

The only problem with tests by people like Auto Express is their tests are limited to the major products on the market. Whilst their advice is often very good and the products well tested they do not include the likes of Audi's screen wash, which whilst it is not obviously made by Audi, does at least meet their specification.

alfiejts said:
Not sure who posted what comments about Halfords - but their "Double Concentrate" came out top in Autoexpress tests and I'm happy with that.....

Do a search on AutoExpress produc tests and just go with what they recommend. Theyr'e doing proper comparative testing and noone else does that - they just post a personal opinion....

Whatever you do DONT use anti-freeze in the mix as suggested above, as this damages paint!!!!

Also, even washing up liquid damages the rubbers on the wipers and screen surround eventually, and also strips off any polish and wax on the paint it touches so steer away from that too....

For the sake of a few quid, go with one of the products that Auto Express recommends....

It actually seems like Sonax Clear View 1:100 won the test:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/product_honours_2007/208746/screenwash.html

But it says for Summer use. Hmmm.

Well putting the decision making aside, shall I empty out the old liquid before putting in the new?

Try using rinse aid for your dishwasher for a sparkling clean windscreen!