2.0TDi how long to warm up to 90c

sukrw

Reaction score
Hi,

Calling all those A3 2.0 TDI (140) owners ... Mine is a 2007 sportback s-line and was wondering how long it "should" take to warm up to the 90 degrees ?

I drive mine nice and gentle but it takes about 7-10 miles, approx 10-12 mins before it is getting anywhere near to 90 and this was before it got real cold outside ... this is mainly 30mph roads up to this point driving in 5th and 6th gear (if I manage to hit the traffic lights at the right time).

Just wondered if this is normal ? My previous car (Subaru STi) got up to temp (well the dial said it was up to temp) in just a few mins ...

Anyone got one the same ? or is my thermostat stuck open ?

Thanks.

That seems to be the same as mine.
Diesels are so efficient that it does take a long time for them to get to the full operating temperature, especially when driven at slow speeds.

One thing to check is the oil temperature, you will find this lags the water temperature by quite a bit. Even when the engine reaches 90 degrees, the oil may only be at 65 degrees and can take another few miles to get to it's normal range.

They do take a little while to warm up thats why the diesels get an electric heater to boost cabin warm up.

Sounds like the same as mine, around 10 mins, and it's -5c here.

Thanks all for replying,

That puts my mind at rest ... :)

Electric heater for the cabin - I was not aware of that, but on reflection the air coming into cabin does have a warm feel quite quickly ....

Clever those Audi people ...

Thanks Again ....

JST_A3 said:
One thing to check is the oil temperature, you will find this lags the water temperature by quite a bit. Even when the engine reaches 90 degrees, the oil may only be at 65 degrees and can take another few miles to get to it's normal range.
Absolutely right. I used to drive a Focus ST170 which had a separate oil temperature gauge, and this wouldn't reach normal level for at least 20 minutes of normal driving.

Incidentally, my 140 TDI also takes around 10-15 minutes depending on where I'm headed (i.e. urban or motorway), and I always drive away straight from cold with no warm-up and low revs.

:icon_thumright: Yes thats about right, mine takes a good 10 mins driving.

Depending on the ambient temp our A4 1.9 PD130 can be showing above 50 degrees after just over a mile of 30mph town driving. It's then out onto dual carriageway and it'll be at 90 by the next roundabout which is about 4 miles from home.

With the colder weather it does take longer but it's still at 90 after about 5-6 miles.

My 170's oil temp doesn't really go above 80 unless I drive fast then it'll reach 90 before dropping back to 80 when I ease off. Takes about 10 miles to get up to 80!

My 140 will warm up to 90 in 10-12 mins of 30-40mph driving. Or 5-6 mins of 30-40 followed by 2 mins of 70mph.

Incidentally by driving at 30mph in 5th or 6th you're burning more fuel than necessary and prolonging the warm up time. The most efficient engine speed is 1600-1800rpm, so at 30mph that would put you in 3rd or 4th.

"The most efficient engine speed is 1600-1800rpm"

Is this for cold to warm transition or for all diesel driving ?
I have been trying to drive it at around 1200-1400rpm all the time (apart from pulling off or overtaking etc) thinking it is efficient ... so I am driving it "wrong" ? Never owned a diesel before so I am a bit new to this style of driving ...

???

Think I will start a new thread to see peoples views as this could be interesting ...

Thanks.

i read somewhere that if you leave a diesel ticking over it will never get to operating temperature as at tickover the heat produced is minimal - so defo best starting then driving straight away - and not too softly.

I've started putting my car in sport on cold mornings to keep the revs between 2-3k (its a dsg) this seems to help warm up faster although it does hurt fuel economy (i end up with about average 30mpg when i get to work) petrols warm up miles faster but thats because they are more inefficient

Not sure about with a DSG, but with a Manual TDi that uses an electronic throttle (as opposed to cable throttle) then the point when the fuel injection is inputting the least fuel is the point when the turbo has just spun up. At this point the turbo is doing all the hard work, below this engine speed the ECU has to add more fuel to effectively stop the engine stalling.

This is all stated in the A3 Owners Manual..... amongst other places.

sukrw said:

I have been trying to drive it at around 1200-1400rpm all the time (apart from pulling off or overtaking etc) thinking it is efficient ... so I am driving it "wrong" ? Never owned a diesel before so I am a bit new to this style of driving ...

???

Think I will start a new thread to see peoples views as this could be interesting ...

Thanks.

The most efficient engine speed for any engine is around the point where peak torque is produced. So around 2k rpm for the 1.9 and 2.0 TDIs. That equates to 3rd gear at 30, 4th at 40, 5th at 50 and above and 6th from 65 onwards in our 1.9 130

I'm surprised people are asking which gear they should be in!! I wasn't used to a diesel a year ago but immediately realised that being in 4th at 30 mph in my 2.0 TDI didn't "feel" right. I was taught this years ago on my driving lessons!!

sukrw said:

???

Thanks.

Anything below about 1500rpm feels like its straining the engine so I would keep the revs up a bit more if I were you!

My commute is roughly 4 miles.
A combination of about 3 miles of 30-40mph roads, combined with the last miles of sitting at crawling pace.
On some winter mornings, my temp gauge barely moves.
The interior of the car can hardly be called warm either.

is that cos you're commuting on the bike Bowfer??