Engine that doesn't key off!

Laney456

Reaction score
Hi guys,

After picking up my brand new A3 1.8T yesterday....I got home from work last night and turned the ignition off, took the key out and the engine was still running!!
As I turned my lights off, the engine then cut out. I initially thought it was a feature of the car (maybe to remind me to turn the lights off)......but I have had a look at the manual at it doesn't pay reference to any such feature!

I have phoned the Audi garage and they said that it doesn't sound quite right and it is booked in for the morning.....but just wondered if anybody had seen this before??

What happens if you dont have the lights on and turn-off the ignition?

If i don't have the lights on, the engine turns off when I turn the ignition off as per a normal car!

As you say it must have somthing to do with the ignition wiring...maybe shorting on the head light wiring.

Guess I will find out 2mo!...just didn't want to look like a prat at Audi tomo if it was a feature of the car :faint:

You're not going to look a prat. Any car capable of running without a key in the ignition would clearly have health and safety issues. It could dismember someone working on it.

I think that it should be a feature on all turbo cars lets the turbo cool for 20 secs then switches off

Just to finish off this thread and incase anybody else has a similar problem in the future.

The reason why my engine wasn't turning off when I turned the ignition off (when lights are still on) is because of a faulty ESP illumination switch.

Basically it took Crewe Audi 22 1/2 hours of investigation to work out what the heck was going on.

The ESP illumination switch had too much solder on one of its connections,causing a live current to feed right back through to the ignitin system when the lights are on...I don't really understand the exact details (as I'm not much cop with sparks!) but it has ben put right now anyway!

What ever happened to simple mechanical features on cars like wind down windows and a sunroofs for aircon!:)

A3simon said:
I think that it should be a feature on all turbo cars lets the turbo cool for 20 secs then switches off

Loving the white A3 Sline by the way Simon........I have always been a fan of white cars right from when my dad had a Sierra Saphire GLSi all them years ago!

Very nice....and very jealous! :respekt: