JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

Engine that doesn't key off!

Hi guys,

After picking up my brand new A3 1.8T yesterday....I got home from work last night and turned the ignition off, took the key out and the engine was still running!!
    As I turned my lights off, the engine then cut out. I initially thought it was a feature of the car (maybe to remind me to turn the lights off)......but I have had a look at the manual at it doesn't pay reference to any such feature!

I have phoned the Audi garage and they said that it doesn't sound quite right and it is booked in for the morning.....but just wondered if anybody had seen this before??

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    if it is a feature to remind you to turn off the lights it is probably a bit excessive!!

I'd sayit is a fault in the ignition system.

2nd Gear

Status
    What happens if you dont have the lights on and turn-off the ignition?
    A3 2.0TDI Sportback S Line 184 Quattro S-Tronic, Mar. 2014 Glacier white. Electric seats, sunroof, se suspension, heated folding mirrors, Reversing camera, Nappa leather, TPMS, Hold assist, Xenon plus adaptive lights with variable active range control, lane assist, Interior light pack, Technology pack, Comfort pack with ACC, park assist & parking system plus

Reverse Gear

Status
    If i don't have the lights on, the engine turns off when I turn the ignition off as per a normal car!

As you say it must have somthing to do with the ignition wiring...maybe shorting on the head light wiring.

Guess I will find out 2mo!...just didn't want to look like a prat at Audi tomo if it was a feature of the car

2nd Gear

Status
    You're not going to look a prat. Any car capable of running without a key in the ignition would clearly have health and safety issues. It could dismember someone working on it.
    A3 2.0TDI Sportback S Line 184 Quattro S-Tronic, Mar. 2014 Glacier white. Electric seats, sunroof, se suspension, heated folding mirrors, Reversing camera, Nappa leather, TPMS, Hold assist, Xenon plus adaptive lights with variable active range control, lane assist, Interior light pack, Technology pack, Comfort pack with ACC, park assist & parking system plus

6th Gear

Status
    Be careful when you flash others
    A4 2.0TDI S Line (2008)
    MMI/Sat Nav, Parking System Advanced, Advanced Key

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Laney456

just didn't want to look like a prat at Audi tomo

hmmmmmmm

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SamDude
    Be careful when you flash others
    especially now the weather is getting colder!

1st Gear

Status
    omg free turbo timer

5th Gear

Status
    I think that it should be a feature on all turbo cars lets the turbo cool for 20 secs then switches off

2009 Suzuki GSXR1000K9 SE in White
    2012 Triumph Speed Triple R in Black
    2012 RS3 in Racing Mica Blue
    2012 A1 TFSI in Misano red (shared with mum)

Reverse Gear

Status
    Just to finish off this thread and incase anybody else has a similar problem in the future.

The reason why my engine wasn't turning off when I turned the ignition off (when lights are still on) is because of a faulty ESP illumination switch.

Basically it took Crewe Audi 22 1/2 hours of investigation to work out what the heck was going on.

The ESP illumination switch had too much solder on one of its connections,causing a live current to feed right back through to the ignitin system when the lights are on...I don't really understand the exact details (as I'm not much cop with sparks!) but it has ben put right now anyway!

What ever happened to simple mechanical features on cars like wind down windows and a sunroofs for aircon!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3simon
    I think that it should be a feature on all turbo cars lets the turbo cool for 20 secs then switches off
    Loving the white A3 Sline by the way Simon........I have always been a fan of white cars right from when my dad had a Sierra Saphire GLSi all them years ago!

Very nice....and very jealous!