A3 Sportback - 1.8 TFSI

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Having read several reports recently saying how good the new 1.8 TFSI engine is when installed in an A5 and the new A4, I've decided to try one fitted in the A3.

It will be a A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI 160 bhp S-tronic so will be a direct comparison to my current A3 Sportback.

Sounds a good combo of power & fuel economy-goodluck & let us know what its like:icon_thumright:

Might feel a little undernourished compared with your 170 tdi, 2.0t should be more to your liking

Very interested in your findings. I will probably go for something less gas-guzzling next time.

The new 2.0 CR diesel will be available in the A3 next year too.

Unless I win the lottery and buy a supercar, I can't see me ever going back to a petrol.
Not unless they can match diesel fuel consumption, which I doubt they'll ever do.
The 'gap' will always be there.
The traditional advantages of petrol (wider power band,more power,better refinement) are constantly being nibbled away at by diesels too.
Until they come out with a petrol that can do Aberdeen to Manchester on under £40 of fuel, non-stop, I'll stick with diesel ta.

Might feel a little undernourished compared with your 170 tdi, 2.0t should be more to your liking

I'm passed wanting more and more power. The only reason I went for the 170 over my previous 140 was that it was quieter. I've driven quite a few 2.0Ts and I wanted to see what the new 1.8 TFSI was like being a brand new engine. The 2.0T has now been dropped from the range available for both the new A4 and the A5.

Although I read that market penetration by diesels is expected to peak at about 65%, then tail off again. This is due to impending emissions regulations (not just CO2), which will make diesels uneconomic to manufacture eventually.

h5djr said:
I'm passed wanting more and more power. The only reason I went for the 170 over my previous 140 was that it was quieter. I've driven quite a few 2.0Ts and I wanted to see what the new 1.8 TFSI was like being a brand new engine. The 2.0T has now been dropped from the range available for both the new A4 and the A5.

it hasn't been dropped, just not available at launch, I understand a new 2.0T with 210bhp is on the way, as well as a 130bhp version of the 1.8T for the A4.

it hasn't been dropped, just not available at launch, I understand a new 2.0T with 210bhp is on the way, as well as a 130bhp version of the 1.8T for the A4.

That may well be the case, but the new ones will not be the same 2.0T as is currently used in the A3 but a version of the new 1.8TFSI. One thing with the new 1.8 is that it only requires 95 rather than 98 for peak performance.

It's not my intention to change my car just yet as mine is not a year old until March. More to see what the new engine is like compared with my other 1.8T Sport A3s. But who knows.... if I like it enough I may be persuaded. Depends how good a deal they can offer. I start to receive my main occupational pension on my 60th birthday on 2 December together with a sizable tax free lump sump, so I may treat myself.

h5djr said:
That may well be the case, but the new ones will not be the same 2.0T as is currently used in the A3 but a version of the new 1.8TFSI. One thing with the new 1.8 is that it only requires 95 rather than 98 for peak performance.
The recent Autocar news item on next year's A3 facelift mentioned that the revised 2.0T will be available in the A3 too.

There's also the 1.4TFSI of course.
Similar torque to the old 1.8T.

There's also the 1.4TFSI of course.

True, but it's not available with S-tronic. There's no way I'm ever going back to a manual gearbox/clutch.

Performance wise, the 1.8TFSI and my TDI-170 are very close.

Top speed: 1.8 = 137mph 170 = 138mph

0-100kph: 1.8 = 8.0 secs 170 = 7.9 secs

h5djr said:

It's not my intention to change my car just yet as mine is not a year old until March. More to see what the new engine is like compared with my other 1.8T Sport A3s. But who knows.... if I like it enough I may be persuaded. Depends how good a deal they can offer. I start to receive my main occupational pension on my 60th birthday on 2 December together with a sizable tax free lump sump, so I may treat myself.

The fact that it runs on 95 ron is a bonus - it can be a pain tracking down 98 ron in rural areas.

Congrats for dec 2nd - Go on treat yourself :)

h5djr said:
True, but it's not available with S-tronic. There's no way I'm ever going back to a manual gearbox/clutch.
Ah yes, of course.

If you are tempted, wouldn't you be better off waiting until next Summer to get the facelifted model ?

If you are tempted, wouldn't you be better off waiting until next Summer to get the facelifted model ?

Maybe, but then I definetely like the current model and I may not like the face-lifted version as much. Could wait until Audi release details of the new version and wait if I like it or order an existing one if I don't.

This all assumes I prefer the 1.8 TFSI to my current 170 of course. If I don't I will keep my existing one for another couple of years. I do actually like it after all.

h5djr said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah...
I'm sure you said that about petrol engines too...

;-)

Yeah, yeah, yeah...
I'm sure you said that about petrol engines too...

Petrol or diesel - not too bothered one way or the other providing it feels right when I'm driving.

but..... Manual clutch/gearbox or S-tronic - no contest as far as I'm concerned. I've driven for 40 years with a manual - I'll drive then next 40 with with some form of automatic - S-tronic, DSG or whatever else comes along.

mfspen said:
The recent Autocar news item on next year's A3 facelift mentioned that the revised 2.0T will be available in the A3 too.

Does anybody know what revisions/changes they are making to the 2.0T engine?

What kind of power will the new 2.0 CR TDI A3 be pushing out next year? Will it be in compeition with the 320d's?

KRL said:
Does anybody know what revisions/changes they are making to the 2.0T engine?
Only as much as Dave R mentioned above, which is that the new engine is a bigger version of the 1.8TFSI. I believe the main change is to the injectors, which have 6 nozzles instead of one per injector.

emzino said:
What kind of power will the new 2.0 CR TDI A3 be pushing out next year? Will it be in compeition with the 320d's?
I assume it will be the same 143bhp engine they fit in the new A4 initially, although I would expect there to be a 175bhp version to replace the 'old' PD170 engine in due course.

The 143 has had very good reviews - beating the Merc C220 CDI for refinement apparently.

mfspen said:
The 143 has had very good reviews - beating the Merc C220 CDI for refinement apparently.

It hasn't beat the Merc or BMW for refinement in any test I've read, and I've read quite a few (I was considering the new A4 at one point, so I read as much as I could).

bowfer said:
It hasn't beat the Merc or BMW for refinement in any test I've read, and I've read quite a few (I was considering the new A4 at one point, so I read as much as I could).

It was a very recent review in What Car I think - A4 vs C220.

They rated the Merc better overall by virtue of the RWD, but said the Audi had the better engine.

So the new CR 2.0TDI's will only have 2variants: 143 & 175bhp.

How does this compare new diesels BMW & Merc are pushing out & I mean this in terms of performance not refinement.

Well I had my test drive of an A3 Sportback 1,8TFSI S-tronic this afternoon. I drove it about 2 hours with just my wife and no salesman in the back! It was an 07 registration S-Line spec with around 4000 miles on the clock. I will not comment on the suspension or trim because it was not what I would order but the drive was to see what I thought of the engine against my 2.0 TDI-170.

Well I was both disappointed and pleased at the end of the drive. I was disappointed because the 1.8 did feel under powered against my 170 not in overall speed or 0-60 type acceleration because the figures for both cars are very much the same. But the mid-range acceleration was nowhere near as good as the 170. Obviously this is where the extra 100Nm of torque comes into it's own. Even my wife commented on the fact from the passenger's seat. Yes it was a little quieter at low speed but seemed to be noisier at higher speeds. That may of course be down to the different suspension and wheel and tyre set.

I was pleased with the fact the I already have what I consider to be the most appropriate A3 for my requirements. Good performance with reasonable fuel economy. A suspension setup and trim level that I find more than accptable and a gearbox that I find fantastic.

I have certainly decided not to change at the moment. Perhaps when Audi bring out their new Common Rail diesel engines for the A3 I may well be tempted but mine will probably be due for change then anyway.