Engine temp for checking oil level?

Sussex A3 3.2 Quattro

Reaction score
Whats the temp you are advised by Audi to check your oil level at?

My cars showing 90deg would this be too high for an accurate reading?

I've always checked my oil level when the engine is cold and parked on a level surface.
Otherwise, if the engine has recently been running the oil will be up inside the crank case and give a deceptively low reading on the dipstick.
Anyone else....?

Never bothered worrying about temperature.
Cold or hot, I just make sure the car's been sitting level for a good while.

Best to check when completely cold then all the oil is at the bottom of the sump for the most accurate reading, as mentioned above when warm its not all dropped down and will read lower than it is leading to overfilling issues!

Friend of mine that works in a dealer-tells me to start my engine,then leave it to settle for 5 mins and then check the level, apparently just to be sure the filter unit is full??? However I have to say I have never had to top up my oil between services, its always spot on:icon_thumright:

Wes G said:
Friend of mine that works in a dealer-tells me to start my engine,then leave it to settle for 5 mins and then check the level, apparently just to be sure the filter unit is full??? However I have to say I have never had to top up my oil between services, its always spot on:icon_thumright:

So your engine temp is also cold when tested?

Yes...I just start the engine for a few seconds-maybe a min" and let it settle, same as I`m told they do at the Stealers when they service it? :icon_thumright:

The manual says 'The vehicle should be on level ground when checking the oil level. After stopping the engine, wait a few minutes for the oil to drain back into the sump'.

It is not altogether clear :think: from this but based on the suggestion that you should stop your engine, my approach would be to check the oil level when the engine is warm

garypaul said:
The manual says 'The vehicle should be on level ground when checking the oil level. After stopping the engine, wait a few minutes for the oil to drain back into the sump'.

It is not altogether clear :think: from this but based on the suggestion that you should stop your engine, my approach would be to check the oil level when the engine is warm

I bet you would get 2 completely different readings for a cold and warm engine temp. My car was sitting for 10 mins and still showing 90deg. And if you used the method to make sure your oil filter is full but the engine is cold then you may even get different 3 different readings?

When I check mine @ the weekend I will try both methods and see if there is a differance? I`m sure you will get a small differance but for me-I have used this method since I started driving 10 years ago and I have never had any problems so will stick with it? I guess its each to there own as with most things in life???:) Mine never uses any anyway,although I check it reg"?:cool:

Wes G said:
When I check mine @ the weekend I will try both methods and see if there is a differance? I`m sure you will get a small differance but for me-I have used this method since I started driving 10 years ago and I have never had any problems so will stick with it? I guess its each to there own as with most things in life???:) Mine never uses any anyway,although I check it reg"?:cool:

OK, thanks :)

I'm not able to check my oil temp on my DIS (53plate pre-facelift). Is there a way to update the software on the DIS for it display the Oil Temp?

emzino said:
I'm not able to check my oil temp on my DIS (53plate pre-facelift). Is there a way to update the software on the DIS for it display the Oil Temp?

When the needle in the tempreture gauge is half way it is 90 degrees.

emzino said:
Isn't that the coolant temperature?

Yes it is. The oil takes quite a lot longer to warm up than the coolant temp so I would not use this as a gauge for oil temperature.

Engine should be up to operating temperature to check oil, on a level surface and wait a couple of minutes after engine turned off...

Well did the the comp" at the weekend on my usual check over-started car,drove out of garage left on drive for 10 mins while sorting out something else,checked oil (cold) and it was very slightly short of the max mark so I left it as it was. On returning from a trip to the mother in laws later I rechecked it(hot) and it was very slightly over the mark ,again by only a smig??? So there is a difference but on my car was only 1 ml max... on the same topic I saw my mate that works @ Norwich Audi (Robinsons) and he confirmed that when they service a car they start it let it settle and check it...then after the roadtest they recheck it just to make sure its not overfull and he agreed that there is normally a small difference as I found, he told me to carry on as per and that either way is ok as long as you dont over fill:icon_thumright: