AH FabricationsSky Insurance
    JED
    Neutral

Status

My economy is getting worse! ?

Don't understand what's happened over the past couple of weeks. On my usual 30 mile commute to work in my 170TDi I could always get 48mpg on the DIS, however, with exactly the same driving over the past two weeks I simply cannot get above about 42 to 43? What's going on?!! The only thing I can think of is that I usally fill up with Shell Dieselt Extra but the other week I topped it back up to full with about 4 gallons of Sainsburys - could this have contaminated the tank some how????
    Audi A4 170TDi S-Line, 2007 in Phantom Black. DVD Sat Nav Plus, Split Folding Rear Seat, CD Changer, Bluetooth in Centre Armrest.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Up the owls!

Status
    Its the colder weather

JED
    Neutral

Status
    Really? That's a big reduction !
    Audi A4 170TDi S-Line, 2007 in Phantom Black. DVD Sat Nav Plus, Split Folding Rear Seat, CD Changer, Bluetooth in Centre Armrest.

Third Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JED
    Really? That's a big reduction !
    Yep, car takes alot longer to warm up, therefore more fuel !!! also cold air = more power so maybe more fuel ???

Mark
    07 S3 Sprint Blue Now Sold
    12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Now sold
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by markwiggy
    Yep, car takes alot longer to warm up, therefore more fuel !!! also cold air = more power so maybe more fuel ???

Mark
    Correct. The cooler the air the denser it gets and this more fuel is required to keep the mixture correct. The upside of this is that your car will be more powerful so potentially you should need lighter throttle openings to do the same speed. A bit like a free remap!

I think the main issue with mpg dropping is the fact that the car takes longer to warm up.

6th Gear

Status
    Check that you are not on function 2 of DIS as mine shows 43 mpg which is what it has averaged over last 8500 miles.
    2007 Sportback S Line Tdi 170 Avus,Bose,Multi function steering wheel, Electric Lumbar support,Front centre armrest,
    Storage pack,Through load system,Folding mirrors,Non smoking pack

2009 BMW K1300S, ABS, ASC,OBC, heated grips

Boydie
    plus sainsburys deisel is crap - its low sulphur and its not liked by the 2.0tdi's I find!

5th Gear

Status
    But shouldn't you be getting more fuel when you fill up because of the colder denser air so it pretty much equals each other out... just about
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.

Gone but not forgotten

JED
    Neutral

Status
    Well I definitely won't be using anything other than BP or Shell from now on!

Thanks for the input.

JED

Boydie
    I use Texaco quite a lot and have no problems with it! (but it did used to be BP lol)