Juddery when idle

B

Boydie

Hey guys,

I'm concerned about my wee car :( Ever since I have owned it, the car judders when idle intermittently. The other day, my mate (who is a complete car head) noticed this and said that my car might need oil - strangely, within 3/4 mins, my oil light came on :ohmy: psychic!

The car needed 1.5 litres of oil before the light went off and I only did an oil change max 5k miles ago!

Mainly, what I would like to know is... does your TDI judder when idling?

Secondly, those with remaps, do you need to use more oil? I knew you did but didnt expect it to use so much in such little time

Thirdly, I have just passed 60k miles, should I get my timing belt seen to?

Boydie said:
Hey guys,

I'm concerned about my wee car :( Ever since I have owned it, the car judders when idle intermittently. The other day, my mate (who is a complete car head) noticed this and said that my car might need oil - strangely, within 3/4 mins, my oil light came on :ohmy: psychic!

The car needed 1.5 litres of oil before the light went off and I only did an oil change max 5k miles ago!

Mainly, what I would like to know is... does your TDI judder when idling?

Secondly, those with remaps, do you need to use more oil? I knew you did but didnt expect it to use so much in such little time

Thirdly, I have just passed 60k miles, should I get my timing belt seen to?

Hi mate is your car A3 2.0 TDI engine code BKD manual?
If yes then yes those engines do that, why? badly designed dual mass flywheel, there is nothing really you can do about it. As I`m a member of Polish audi A3 forum I know this problem is well known but jou can do nothing about it. My is 04 reg and has 73 on the clock. It is recomended to have the cambelt changed at 80k or 5 years but if you want my advice don`t wait that long and have it changed now. Just make sure they change ALL tensioner and rollers and water pump at the same time.

thank you very much mate :D

its an 04 as well so probably a BKD

Boydie said:
thank you very much mate :D

its an 04 as well so probably a BKD

enyway I like your car the mods you've done.
Well done mate!:icon_thumright:

There was a recall on some of the flywheels, maybe yours is one that needs to go in?

That said, mine didn't have one of the defective ones and it did judder very slightly at idle, certainly compared to my current 170 from which you can't feel any vibration at all at idle.

Even though my car is out of warrenty, can it still be under the recall?

My 54 plate had intermittent idle told dealer & they put on a software upgrade

I mentionned this is the cabin quality thread! mentionned it to the dealer wednesday and they said all was fine! But it isn't!! Mine is a 56 plate.

might call into the local dealer next week and mention it to them

cheers

Anything which can be proven to be "inherently faulty" can be claimed for outside the warranty period. I'd imagine that anything subject to a recall is, by definition, inherently faulty.

Worth asking the dealer I'd have thought.

There was a recall for faulty flywheel but it had nothing to do with judder at idle. They check who produced a flywheel in your car if Sachs - ok if LUC - need to be change as some of them just fall apart, nothing to do with judder. I know lads on polish forum who still had that judder after having it changed. I have checked my at dealer and they said that my VIN is not on the recall list but I experience the judder at idle I just lern my self how to live with it.

Do you have to call Audi UK & give your VIN number (begins with WAUZZZ etc) so they can check whether it's had any recalls or not...?

i was told that the faulty flywheels can go 'oval' after time and this causes further vibration - this is why they have changed them - only certain ones tho - i had mine changed an 04 plate 05MY but it didnt make any difference at all to the running, cant say there was any sort of judder, just usual diesel vibes and sound

emzino said:
Do you have to call Audi UK & give your VIN number (begins with WAUZZZ etc) so they can check whether it's had any recalls or not...?
Yes just give them a call or visit your local dealer and the will tell you.

Some cars do judder some don't and there is nothing you can realy do about it. I have also heard that 2 and 4 injector can cause this and I know people who replaced them and it helped for some of them anf for some of them didn't. As far as I know i happens in all VAG cars (Audi, VW, Skoda, Seat) with this paricular engine.

Boydie said:
How do I find out if my flywheel is Sachs or LUC?

thanks mate :D
You can`t. Ask your dealer if your car's VIN is on a list for a flywheel recall and if the job has been done. If it is on a list they will do it for you and if it is the faulty one they will replace it free of charge regardless wheather your audi still has warranty or not.
I ask about mine and they said no outstanding recalls on my car .

My dealer had to physically inspect the car just to determine if it had one of the affected flywheels. I was surprised at the time as I'd have thought they'd be able to determine what parts were fitted to what car from their own records but apparently not.

Vertigo1 said:
My dealer had to physically inspect the car just to determine if it had one of the affected flywheels. I was surprised at the time as I'd have thought they'd be able to determine what parts were fitted to what car from their own records but apparently not.

That's what i ment if your car is on the list they will check which flywheel you got and change it if it's LUC.