Cold Air, More Power.

aiculedtzu

under pressure
Reaction score
The winter it's coming, the temperatures started to drop and my Es Three feels more nippy. To make sure it's not a placebo i've plugged in the Vag Com and made a dyno run.

At 23 Celsius my car had 364 Hp and 414 Nm, but now at 5 Celsius it showed 373 Hp and 420 Nm. Also i found that the torque is limited at < 420 Nm by the remap.

So same car, same fuel, same mods, only different temperature.

Defenitly its not a placebo feeling..And i would have thought it will be more than 10 hp difference. Driving the car in the summer at 35 cº and driving it now at night (8cº) its completly different.
oh, and BTW, your car numbers are impressive man :icon_thumright:

Thanks kabuto.

There is a 9 Hp difference between 23 Celsius and 5 Celsius. I'm sure between 35 Celsius and 5 Celsius would be at least 12 Hp difference.

I certainly feel the difference also. Does this increase also apply to N.A. engines. Is it purely the volume of oxygen per cubic foot?

Exactly, its because of the increase of oxigen in the same volume of air. In NA cars there is also a difference in power but i think its less than in turboed cars. Correct me if i am wrong.

Turbos LOVE cold air & it could be because the air itself is much more dense.

You can see why most Turbo-diesels have intercoolers. You should also find your engines run better on damp days as opposed to low humidity days

All engines love cold, and therefore dense, air.
The density of the air makes a helluva difference.
Dense air, more power.
Thin air, less power.
I noticed a drop off in performance in my car when I took it up and over the Lecht (mountain road in Scotland) the other day.
It was wheezing like an asthmatic ant carrying some heavy shopping.
It's about 2000 feet above sea level, I think.

bowfer said:
All engines love cold, and therefore dense, air.
The density of the air makes a helluva difference.
Dense air, more power.
Thin air, less power.
I noticed a drop off in performance in my car when I took it up and over the Lecht (mountain road in Scotland) the other day.
It was wheezing like an asthmatic ant carrying some heavy shopping.
It's about 2000 feet above sea level, I think.

Nice blackadder reference there :)

Think someone has posted on here about driving way up in the mountains on the continent soewhere and how the car performed crap very high up and as soon as the altitude decreased it was fine and poerfuul again!

Hence Intercoolers guys, why do u think peeps put big intercoolers on their supras and skylines

Almost all modern turbocharged cars have intercoolers and the S3 has a quite big all metal intercooler. But that's not the point, because even with the biggest intercooler there will be differences between summer and winter.

And it's true, engines loose power with altitude, especially N/A engines. I've heard that N/A engines loose around 10% of their power every 1.000 meters in altitude.