AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
    under pressure

Status

Cold Air, More Power.

The winter it's coming, the temperatures started to drop and my Es Three feels more nippy. To make sure it's not a placebo i've plugged in the Vag Com and made a dyno run.

At 23 Celsius my car had 364 Hp and 414 Nm, but now at 5 Celsius it showed 373 Hp and 420 Nm. Also i found that the torque is limited at < 420 Nm by the remap.

So same car, same fuel, same mods, only different temperature.

Audi S3 2.0 TFSI quattro - Turbo-Back exhaust - Cold Air Intake - Uprated Fuel Pump - Upgraded Clutch - Upgraded Intercooler - Stage2+ Software

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    Defenitly its not a placebo feeling..And i would have thought it will be more than 10 hp difference. Driving the car in the summer at 35 c and driving it now at night (8c) its completly different.
    oh, and BTW, your car numbers are impressive man
    Audi S3 TFSI Quattro Unitronic

under pressure

Status
    Thanks kabuto.

There is a 9 Hp difference between 23 Celsius and 5 Celsius. I'm sure between 35 Celsius and 5 Celsius would be at least 12 Hp difference.
    Audi S3 2.0 TFSI quattro - Turbo-Back exhaust - Cold Air Intake - Uprated Fuel Pump - Upgraded Clutch - Upgraded Intercooler - Stage2+ Software

987C

Status
    I certainly feel the difference also. Does this increase also apply to N.A. engines. Is it purely the volume of oxygen per cubic foot?
    2008 987C Porsche Cayman S (299 RWHP)
    2007 987 Porsche Boxster S (295 RWHP)
    2007 Audi S3 (330PS)
    2005 Seat Leon FR TDI (195PS)
    2005 Skoda Fabia vRS (175PS)

Reverse Gear

Status
    Exactly, its because of the increase of oxigen in the same volume of air. In NA cars there is also a difference in power but i think its less than in turboed cars. Correct me if i am wrong.
    Audi S3 TFSI Quattro Unitronic

5th Gear

Status
    Turbos LOVE cold air & it could be because the air itself is much more dense.
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.

Gone but not forgotten

2nd Gear

Status
    You can see why most Turbo-diesels have intercoolers. You should also find your engines run better on damp days as opposed to low humidity days
    A3 2.0TDI Sportback S Line 184 Quattro S-Tronic, Mar. 2014 Glacier white. Electric seats, sunroof, se suspension, heated folding mirrors, Reversing camera, Nappa leather, TPMS, Hold assist, Xenon plus adaptive lights with variable active range control, lane assist, Interior light pack, Technology pack, Comfort pack with ACC, park assist & parking system plus

6th Gear

Status
    All engines love cold, and therefore dense, air.
    The density of the air makes a helluva difference.
    Dense air, more power.
    Thin air, less power.
    I noticed a drop off in performance in my car when I took it up and over the Lecht (mountain road in Scotland) the other day.
    It was wheezing like an asthmatic ant carrying some heavy shopping.
    It's about 2000 feet above sea level, I think.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    All engines love cold, and therefore dense, air.
    The density of the air makes a helluva difference.
    Dense air, more power.
    Thin air, less power.
    I noticed a drop off in performance in my car when I took it up and over the Lecht (mountain road in Scotland) the other day.
    It was wheezing like an asthmatic ant carrying some heavy shopping.
    It's about 2000 feet above sea level, I think.
    Nice blackadder reference there

6th Gear

Status
    Think someone has posted on here about driving way up in the mountains on the continent soewhere and how the car performed crap very high up and as soon as the altitude decreased it was fine and poerfuul again!
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

1st Gear

Status
    Hence Intercoolers guys, why do u think peeps put big intercoolers on their supras and skylines

under pressure

Status
    Almost all modern turbocharged cars have intercoolers and the S3 has a quite big all metal intercooler. But that's not the point, because even with the biggest intercooler there will be differences between summer and winter.

And it's true, engines loose power with altitude, especially N/A engines. I've heard that N/A engines loose around 10% of their power every 1.000 meters in altitude.
    Last edited by aiculedtzu; 7th November 2007 at 15:47.

Smoking is good for you

Status
    Derbyshire, land of the free home of the brave.
    I live up in t'hills (near the Cat'n'Fiddle ) and notice a difference when I go to sealevel!
    8P S3 S-Tronic BE. Stage 2 from Awesome GTi.

Gone - S4 bi-turbo - forever a place in my heart!

3rd Gear

Status
    Difference on N/A will probably be more pronounced than a turbo at high rev's.