Parcel Shelf - Arrghh!!

s3mike

Reaction score
I'm sure it's been mentioned before but which idiot came up with the 'rubber ball on a string' method of holding the parcel shelf?

Every other car I have ever seen has a little reel on the bottom of the shelf to coil up the cord when the boot is closed, but Audi, in their infinite wisdom came up with the little rubber ball.

"Hey what shall vee do today Hans"
"Lets come up with a really stupid vay of annoying zee English"
"I have zis little rubber ball that will rattle like crazy on zeir inferior bumpy roads"
"Zehr gut, put it in zee S3"

Apologies to any Germans but DUH!! what were they thinking.

Are you sure about that?
Maybe it went like this instead:
"Hans, you know that silly ball idea that S3Mike in parcel shelf design came up with?"
"Ja. What's up?"
"Well, it's going to rattle, isn't it?"
" No problem Gunther. Only yesterday I submitted a design change to make the balls from rubber so that they don't rattle on those inferior English roads!"

But seriously, I don't have a problem. Are you really sure it's your parcel shelf that's rattling?

Its the direct centre of the parcel shelf that rubs on the boot lid, the bit that recesses in on the centre in the semi circle shape, it might have even worn slightly like mine has.

Someone had a link to a fix which was something like a little stick on felt strip on the boot lid which totally stopped it.

I'm pretty sure it's the rubber ball. When I move off from a standstill or stop I get the noise.

I dropped the seats from inside and the ball knocks on the top part of the boot which is plastic rather than carpeted.

To be honest I'm not too fussed , at least I know it's not the suspension making the noise!

I also think that this design is absolutely aweful. I drive over almost 12 speed bumps in the mornings and the balls swinging about clattering into the side panels etc are incredibly annoying. It's definitely the balls as I've taped them up and the noise has stopped.

Members have been complaining about the rubber balls since the inception of the 8P. A few people wrapped the balls with something soft to try and reduce it.

Can anyone confirm that the Sportback doesn't have the balls, but has spring loaded reels instead ?

mfspen said:
Can anyone confirm that the Sportback doesn't have the balls, but has spring loaded reels instead ?

Nope, just balls.

JamS3 said:
Its the direct centre of the parcel shelf that rubs on the boot lid, the bit that recesses in on the centre in the semi circle shape, it might have even worn slightly like mine has.

Someone had a link to a fix which was something like a little stick on felt strip on the boot lid which totally stopped it.

Linky dinky doo

Mine has balls but I also have the perfect solution.

See that knob on your radio, turn it clockwise until the rattle/knocking can no longer be heard

But yes it is annoying

i have some rattling coming from my boot area but it sounds more like a tinny plastic kind of sound rather than rubber knocking... and it doesnt sound muffled whicvh to me suggests its not inside the actual boot itself but coming from somewhere at the back of the cabin near or around the boot

Twizzler said:
Nope, my new one has a handsome pair of balls!

Now you see the obvious response to this answer, should have been a simple ...

BALLS :bye:

My 54-plate Sportback also has two balls, so I assume the 8P has always been like it. Haven't noticed any rattling but the clip that attaches it to the bootlid has disappeared, so the whole parcel shelf is now supported by just one cord! Hardly seems worth bothering about but I may ask next time I visit a dealer.

benw123 said:
My 54-plate Sportback also has two balls, so I assume the 8P has always been like it. Haven't noticed any rattling but the clip that attaches it to the bootlid has disappeared, so the whole parcel shelf is now supported by just one cord! Hardly seems worth bothering about but I may ask next time I visit a dealer.

Its a tiny telescopic plastic plug. Costs less than a quid from the stealer. But annoyingly they had to order one in - try phoning before you go down to collect.

Off to buy some velcro now . . . .

It's not just the Audi hatchbacks that have balls. BMW's/Mini's have them too...

I guess lots of manufacturers have them.