Remap Flashcounter - Update

Spin140

Reaction score
Just had this mail off jamie Turvey the Technical director at Superchips/Bluefin.

Its official they have now resolved the flash counter issue further increasing dealer transparency.....

"..Information on the ECU's internal flash counter:
With most ECU's, especially those used on vehicles of the Audi/VAG Group, every time the ECU is reprogrammed this action is logged by an "internal flash counter". For example, if the car is reprogrammed with a Superchips remap, then programmed back to standard, the "internal flash counter" will have increased by 2. OE Dealers can read this counter and see that the ECU has been accessed.
Thanks to new software the vSpire (Script 3.12 and Core 4.02 on e-tuning) and bluefin (from 06.11.07) systems do not increase the ECU's internal flash counter when the remap is installed or returned back to standard...."

I thought they planned to set the flash count back to zero every time the bluefin was used. Reading your post it looks like the flash counter remains at it's original value.

JohnS3 said:
I thought they planned to set the flash count back to zero every time the bluefin was used. Reading your post it looks like the flash counter remains at it's original value.

See what you mean I'll drop Jamie a mail and get it clarified and post the details - back to zero is what we are all looking for - not before Thursday though as on the road tomorrow.

Spin

Why do you want it setting to zero? surely you want it setting to whatever it was at before it was chipped?

My thoughts exactly. If the dealer has carried out a software upgrade to your ECU (as on mine) then will the flash counter be set at 1?

If so and I take my car to have some service work done and the eagle eyed technician notices it's at zero but knew it had been upgraded in the past, this would insinuate that the ECU had been 'played with'.

I think not increasing it at all is probably the best solution. Of course if you've already had your ECU flashed and the counter increased you may now want it reset to 0.

Savage said:
My thoughts exactly. If the dealer has carried out a software upgrade to your ECU (as on mine) then will the flash counter be set at 1?

If so and I take my car to have some service work done and the eagle eyed technician notices it's at zero but knew it had been upgraded in the past, this would insinuate that the ECU had been 'played with'.

I think not increasing it at all is probably the best solution. Of course if you've already had your ECU flashed and the counter increased you may now want it reset to 0.

I think the clarification is required concerning adding the software retrospectively eg) my wifes 2.0tdi has been bluefinned and reflashed numerous times so in this scenario I would prefer it to be at Zero than say 8 but equally I understand why in a perfect world software could be created that resets your counter to its previous setting as suggested but come on Guys we can't have it all our own way this is a massive step forward IMO and far more beneficial than the previous option, prior to this post many people favoured GIAC due to its not affecting the flash counter now S/C have identified this technology and duplicated it.

How likely is it that the dealer database will contain a record of all re-flashes, it got to be better at zero - remember no map is totally invisible regardless of flash counter this just helps aid transparency and helps me to spend some cash :)

So its up to each persons preference now with what style of remap which gives the best drive!

GIAC or bluefin?

Which one is the most aggressive?

JamS3 said:
So its up to each persons preference now with what style of remap which gives the best drive!

GIAC or bluefin?

Which one is the most aggressive?

Yep, Im gonna go with one of these two aswell. Does anyone know what the individual maps are like? How much is the boost increased to? What else is changed? Is the rev limit raised? Could the different remaps, Revo, Bluefin, GIAC etc all be the same? :)

This is interesting,

I had my 07 S3 bluefined, but was toying with the idea of having GIAC, i suppose the reason i chose superchips was the warranty issue, and they probably drew me in with their superior marketing compared with GIAC.

I would be interested to know what the GIAC remap feels like as i dont find the bluefin very aggressive, but can only pass judgement til i have driven a GIAC chipped car.

Cant remember the name but a regular on here had a figure of 313ps with the GIAC which is very impressive

You’ll have to excuse my ignorance but I have never had my car chipped/remapped and would love to only problem is I lease them so anything that would void the warranty is a no go.

Does resetting the flash counter and setting your car back to the standard map mean that the garage can not tell it has been mucked about with and thus your warranty stays intact?

Johnnyb said:
Cant remember the name but a regular on here had a figure of 313ps with the GIAC which is very impressive

You're thinking of CJP80. Here's his dyno plot (taken from the GIAC website)
giac_s3flash_nomods98ron.jpg

An update as promised Guys, Jamie got back to me via mail and it appears to be good news for all.........

"....Hi Martin, the option on the counter is to reset to zero only. But I could make the reset optional at each and every program giving the bluefin owner the choice.

Regards,

Jamie..."

As for the questions raised about 'aggressive maps' I've never experienced an aggressive map from the Guys at Superchips to date as I don't believe this is their intention, I have dyno plot print outs for the last 5 cars and they all follow the original curve but obviously with more power and torque being produced, I'm sure they could tweak the generic maps to match customers requirements but the individual would need to discuss this with SC HQ and I would recommend visiting them rather than installing online so that Rolling road runs can be done, with such a powerful car as standard the differences are going to be noticeable but probably not like 'night' and 'Day' so the dyno plots would help the individual decide. I'm not sure if the price would be the same as for the generic bluefin (Currently £509 inc vat & Dyno runs at HQ - with 15% Discount for Furum members) so this would be another point worth discussing prior to commitment all I can say is the customer service I have recieved has been nothing short of excellent which is probably why I'm now such a regular customer.

Spin

TBH I like the fact that Bluefin is more 'OEM+' than balls out performance. I've had aggressive maps on previous motors and it just becomes a little wearing after a while.

Slightly off topic but has anyone had to claim anything engine related under warranty after returning the car to the standard map and had it knocked back?

Why would u want it to go back to 0 all the time..

What if the car has had a update u would want it to go back to the same as what it was before. ?? So i could be 2 or 3 etc...... If you put it back to 0 and the car should be higher waht would happen then ?

Thanks

Mike

revomike said:
Why would u want it to go back to 0 all the time..

What if the car has had a update u would want it to go back to the same as what it was before. ?? So i could be 2 or 3 etc...... If you put it back to 0 and the car should be higher waht would happen then ?

Thanks

Mike

Bluefin have now confirmed they can give you and your handset the option of a default setting - so you could choose 1,2,3 whatever you require and as bluefin is updateable online you can arrange for it to be updated as and when required subject to the usual 24hr update turn around. Its not going to get any better than this IMO. The key thing to remember is if you remap you are undertaking to break the terms of your warranty and as with all things in life there is always an element of risk as with all mass produced items your engine and its internals are subject to the odd mishap - all this extra capability is doing is adding to transparency - NO Map is totally invisible to a highly skiiled pair of eyes but add to the above the Firebond underwritten 12 month , 30,000 mile warranty and you have certainly increased the odds in your favour.

Thankfully I've never had cause to claim and have had no problems to date.

In summary its up to the individual which Tuning company they choose, I'm obviously a Superchip fan due to the great service and performance gains experienced in the past, this does not mean I am blinkered, I have been talking to Awesome about APR, RSD ref Oettinger,GIAC and considered Revo - all companies seem excellent but for me at present only GIAC and Bluefin offer the technology I require, Bluefin swings it due to 4 main factors_

1. Past Service
2. Flash Counter Tech & OEM map retention
3. Value for money. (£509 inc vat, Before and after RR at HQ) - *inc Forum 15% Discount.
4. Warranty.

Of course my posts are just my opinion the individual should do their own investigation and speak to the various companies before making any decision, I'm just sharing my enthusiam with you :)

Mate I have now probs with super chips hold a old rs turbo back in the day with there stuff loved it..

But if the car go's in for a up grade on the o.e softwear say up to v0050 and ur car/bluefin is set up for ur car before it had the v0050 on so lets say v0030 what happens then , Do u put our old software back on top. As you might lose the updates. Some of the updates could have been for ABS or DSG etc etc...

just asking .

thanks for ur help ..

revomike said:
Mate I have now probs with super chips hold a old rs turbo back in the day with there stuff loved it..

But if the car go's in for a up grade on the o.e softwear say up to v0050 and ur car/bluefin is set up for ur car before it had the v0050 on so lets say v0030 what happens then , Do u put our old software back on top. As you might lose the updates. Some of the updates could have been for ABS or DSG etc etc...

just asking .

thanks for ur help ..

In this scenario its not an issue, if your dealer re-flashes your original code with an update Superchips can organise this to be stored as your new OEM map therefore keeping all the updates on that map, beyond this its getting too technical for me so something you could perhaps discuss with them yourself , basically the bluefin handset is just a clever mass storage device which encrypts itself to your cars ECU - this can be updated by the SC as and when required - even transferred to the same vehicle type subject to terms and conditions but usually FOC in the first 12 months.