tyres

kev_a3

Reaction score
hi all,

im looking for prices on a set of 225/40/18 any ideas on prices/suppliers

also will 235/40/18 fit a 2.0 tdi sport a3.....wheels are off an rs6

cheers
:music:

i got 4 225/40/18 Goodyear F1's fitted on mine for £432.

:sign_omg: i was hoping to pay a little less

seen some falken for £300 a set- anyone had any...what did/do you think
or kumho are they any good.

my wallet just prefers mid price tyres

One thing i will never budget on is tyres!

Buy the best you can, they are your only contact with the road and they vary wildly from brand to brand with confidence in wet, grip etc...

kev_a3 said:
:sign_omg: i was hoping to pay a little less

seen some falken for £300 a set- anyone had any...what did/do you think
or kumho are they any good.

my wallet just prefers mid price tyres

Hi
My previous car was BMW 330d SPORT. As a member bmw forum I can strongly recommend Falken FK 452 as beeing the best tyre I ever used. Many members of bmw forum including M3 owners are using those tyres and say they are the best tyres they ever had. I have never used a budget tyres my recent tyres before falken were dunlop sport maxx. michekin pilot sport, dunlop 9000 and none of them give you so much grip on both wet and dry surface. What surprising about these tyres is the price. For 255/35 r18 for my BMW iI paid about £100 fitted. I personally don`t know why they are so cheap in UK as for example in germany they are regarded as higf performance tyre and cost more than here. Go for falkens FK 452 you will never regret this. If you need more recommendation have a look at the bmw forum
http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/index.php?sid=d182fce6bc040ff186b7b261b0a1da27

Second the last post also had Falken 452 and found them to be a good all round tyre

i find it amazing that oeople will spend £20k plus on an A3 and then skimp on tyres which are the most important thing when it comes to safety!

RobinA3 said:
i find it amazing that oeople will spend £20k plus on an A3 and then skimp on tyres which are the most important thing when it comes to safety!
Believe me mate I would never ever buy a tyre becouse it was cheap. The only reason why I recommend Falken FK 452 is that I believe it's the best tyre available on the market I used them my self on my BMW 330d and plenty BMW M3 owners who use them on track days and tested them at nurburgring says is the best tyre they ever had so don't say I'm trying to save on tyre as I don't reallly care if it costs £60 or £260. (as long as it gives me the best performance and grip):icon_thumright:

RobinA3 said:

Think you are getting a bit confused here between the difference in a good quality cheaper tyre and a crap budget tyre

dipstic said:
Think you are getting a bit confused here between the difference in a good quality cheaper tyre and a crap budget tyre

Well said!!!

I just got 2 new tyres for the front (8P S3) - only done 6k too :jump:

Continental ContiSport Contact 3. 225/40/18 £113 each inc vat & del from mytyres.com

Theyre better than the original ContiSport Contact 2's cos theyve got more rubber on the outside edge. I've compared them to the backs and the rim protection lip on them is way more than the originals. Honestly dont think the mrs could kerb the front wheels now with them on. I'll be bangin Conti 3's on the back too when ready.

Conti 3's are standard on the RS4 so had no doubts about it.:)

silverlogic said:

Continental ContiSport Contact 3. 225/40/18 £113 each inc vat & del from mytyres.com

Theyre better than the original ContiSport Contact 2's cos theyve got more rubber on the outside edge. I've compared them to the backs and the rim protection lip on them is way more than the originals. Honestly dont think the mrs could kerb the front wheels now with them on. I'll be bangin Conti 3's on the back too when ready.

Conti 3's are standard on the RS4 so had no doubts about it.:)

6000m s--t was that your driving lol or your Mrs:hubbahubba:

I've used mytyres.co.uk for many years - but my last 4 225/40-18 Contis came from www.tyreshopper.co.uk

I think they are "National Tyres" in disguise, as this is a "price match" site that matches the best internet prices and you then simply turn up at your nearest National tyres depot to get them fitted.

Its become much more of a hassle to get my internet-supplied tyres fitted locally recently, so having this site provide the best prices with easy fitting was a godsend....

i was not refering to the Falken FK 452's, i was refering to kumho's.

silverlogic said:

If you are changing the tyres on a 4WD car you should keep to the same make/model on all 4 wheels. Please be very careful under heavy driving especially where the ESP/EDL is on the limit. I had mixed tyres on a previous A3 quattro and nearly ended up in a crash as the electronics could not counter for the differences in the rubber on each corner.

It didn't take long for a mechanic to note the problem and a quick shout at quickfit (it was a company car at the time) ensured they fitted 2 new tyres on the car). the next evening, near identical wet conditions the car handled completely differently and managable round the same bend.

Please be very careful unless you change all the tyres to be the same make.

As far as tyre choice goes, I struggle to see how after Audi spend so much time on R&D and test many makes of tyres for a car, why its necessary to try to out do their engineering. I have always left the Audi choice of delivery tyre on the car and been very happy with the results, especially as i don't have the time to spend fiddling about with trying differnt tyres on the car...

RobinA3 said:
i was not refering to the Falken FK 452's, i was refering to kumho's.

In this case you are right mate, misunderstanding:meeting:

Don't bother with bigger ones, although they will probably fit they will likely ****** up your insurance should you need to claim! We're 18's optional in 04? I thought they came in with S Line in 54/05 era?

Goodyear are a great compromise between price / handling and longevity.

TT
Rick:music:

I have an A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro and I've just ordered Conti SportContact 3s for the front wheels (225/45 ZR 17) - rears are Conti SportContact2.

Will this be a problem ? FWIW I don't think it'll be long until the rears need changing...

Cheers

Gareth

stevec said:
If you are changing the tyres on a 4WD car you should keep to the same make/model on all 4 wheels. Please be very careful under heavy driving especially where the ESP/EDL is on the limit. I had mixed tyres on a previous A3 quattro and nearly ended up in a crash as the electronics could not counter for the differences in the rubber on each corner.

It didn't take long for a mechanic to note the problem and a quick shout at quickfit (it was a company car at the time) ensured they fitted 2 new tyres on the car). the next evening, near identical wet conditions the car handled completely differently and managable round the same bend.

Please be very careful unless you change all the tyres to be the same make.

As far as tyre choice goes, I struggle to see how after Audi spend so much time on R&D and test many makes of tyres for a car, why its necessary to try to out do their engineering. I have always left the Audi choice of delivery tyre on the car and been very happy with the results, especially as i don't have the time to spend fiddling about with trying differnt tyres on the car...