also will 235/40/18 fit a 2.0 tdi sport a3.....wheels are off an rs6

cheers
    2004 A3 TDI SPORT
    Lava grey,cruise control, alcantara,bose

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    i got 4 225/40/18 Goodyear F1's fitted on mine for £432.

Reverse Gear

Status
    i was hoping to pay a little less

seen some falken for £300 a set- anyone had any...what did/do you think
    or kumho are they any good.

my wallet just prefers mid price tyres
    2004 A3 TDI SPORT
    Lava grey,cruise control, alcantara,bose

6th Gear

Status
    One thing i will never budget on is tyres!

Buy the best you can, they are your only contact with the road and they vary wildly from brand to brand with confidence in wet, grip etc...
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kev_a3
    i was hoping to pay a little less

seen some falken for 300 a set- anyone had any...what did/do you think
    or kumho are they any good.

my wallet just prefers mid price tyres
    Hi
    My previous car was BMW 330d SPORT. As a member bmw forum I can strongly recommend Falken FK 452 as beeing the best tyre I ever used. Many members of bmw forum including M3 owners are using those tyres and say they are the best tyres they ever had. I have never used a budget tyres my recent tyres before falken were dunlop sport maxx. michekin pilot sport, dunlop 9000 and none of them give you so much grip on both wet and dry surface. What surprising about these tyres is the price. For 255/35 r18 for my BMW iI paid about 100 fitted. I personally don`t know why they are so cheap in UK as for example in germany they are regarded as higf performance tyre and cost more than here. Go for falkens FK 452 you will never regret this. If you need more recommendation have a look at the bmw forum
    http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/inde...b7b261b0a1da27

2nd Gear

Status
    Second the last post also had Falken 452 and found them to be a good all round tyre

6th Gear

Status
    i find it amazing that oeople will spend 20k plus on an A3 and then skimp on tyres which are the most important thing when it comes to safety!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinA3
    i find it amazing that oeople will spend 20k plus on an A3 and then skimp on tyres which are the most important thing when it comes to safety!
    Believe me mate I would never ever buy a tyre becouse it was cheap. The only reason why I recommend Falken FK 452 is that I believe it's the best tyre available on the market I used them my self on my BMW 330d and plenty BMW M3 owners who use them on track days and tested them at nurburgring says is the best tyre they ever had so don't say I'm trying to save on tyre as I don't reallly care if it costs 60 or 260. (as long as it gives me the best performance and grip)

2nd Gear

Status
    Think you are getting a bit confused here between the difference in a good quality cheaper tyre and a crap budget tyre

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dipstic
    Think you are getting a bit confused here between the difference in a good quality cheaper tyre and a crap budget tyre

Well said!!!

S3RVA

Status
    I just got 2 new tyres for the front (8P S3) - only done 6k too

Continental ContiSport Contact 3. 225/40/18 113 each inc vat & del from mytyres.com

Theyre better than the original ContiSport Contact 2's cos theyve got more rubber on the outside edge. I've compared them to the backs and the rim protection lip on them is way more than the originals. Honestly dont think the mrs could kerb the front wheels now with them on. I'll be bangin Conti 3's on the back too when ready.

Conti 3's are standard on the RS4 so had no doubts about it.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlogic

Continental ContiSport Contact 3. 225/40/18 113 each inc vat & del from mytyres.com

Theyre better than the original ContiSport Contact 2's cos theyve got more rubber on the outside edge. I've compared them to the backs and the rim protection lip on them is way more than the originals. Honestly dont think the mrs could kerb the front wheels now with them on. I'll be bangin Conti 3's on the back too when ready.

Conti 3's are standard on the RS4 so had no doubts about it.
    6000m s--t was that your driving lol or your Mrs
    Last edited by dipstic; 2nd November 2007 at 19:23.

2nd Gear

Status
    I've used mytyres.co.uk for many years - but my last 4 225/40-18 Contis came from www.tyreshopper.co.uk

I think they are "National Tyres" in disguise, as this is a "price match" site that matches the best internet prices and you then simply turn up at your nearest National tyres depot to get them fitted.

Its become much more of a hassle to get my internet-supplied tyres fitted locally recently, so having this site provide the best prices with easy fitting was a godsend....
    2012 White A5 Coupe TFSi Black Edition
    (Was 2004 A3 2.0 TDi S-Line DSG, owned from 2005 to 2012....)

6th Gear

Status
    i was not refering to the Falken FK 452's, i was refering to kumho's.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlogic

If you are changing the tyres on a 4WD car you should keep to the same make/model on all 4 wheels. Please be very careful under heavy driving especially where the ESP/EDL is on the limit. I had mixed tyres on a previous A3 quattro and nearly ended up in a crash as the electronics could not counter for the differences in the rubber on each corner.

It didn't take long for a mechanic to note the problem and a quick shout at quickfit (it was a company car at the time) ensured they fitted 2 new tyres on the car). the next evening, near identical wet conditions the car handled completely differently and managable round the same bend.

Please be very careful unless you change all the tyres to be the same make.

As far as tyre choice goes, I struggle to see how after Audi spend so much time on R&D and test many makes of tyres for a car, why its necessary to try to out do their engineering. I have always left the Audi choice of delivery tyre on the car and been very happy with the results, especially as i don't have the time to spend fiddling about with trying differnt tyres on the car...
    12- A1 1.6TDI Sport Sportback Misano Red/Black, Black/Grey Tornado, Xenons, Tech Pack, Mobile Prep High, Bose, Rear Park, Cruise, Dim Mirror, Climate, LED Lights, Armrest
    07-12 S3 Sprint Blue, Leather & Buckets, Flat MFSW, Armrest & Phone Prep, Rear Park, Dim & Fold Mirror, Tyre Warn, Sunband, Interior Light, Cruise, Hill hold, Auto Light & Rain, Bose, Sat Nav+, iPod
    01-07 S3 Dolphin Grey, Blue/Black Alcantara, Bose, Armrest, CD, Cruise, Ali Mirrors, Heated Seats
    00-01 A3 1.8TQ Sport Red, Bose

Neutral

Status
    i was not refering to the Falken FK 452's, i was refering to kumho's.
    In this case you are right mate, misunderstanding

RGBArgee

Tyres

Don't bother with bigger ones, although they will probably fit they will likely bugger up your insurance should you need to claim! We're 18's optional in 04? I thought they came in with S Line in 54/05 era?

Goodyear are a great compromise between price / handling and longevity.

TT
    Rick

Reverse Gear

Status

Mixed tyre models on 4WD

I have an A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro and I've just ordered Conti SportContact 3s for the front wheels (225/45 ZR 17) - rears are Conti SportContact2.

Will this be a problem ? FWIW I don't think it'll be long until the rears need changing...

Cheers

Gareth

Quote Originally Posted by stevec
    If you are changing the tyres on a 4WD car you should keep to the same make/model on all 4 wheels. Please be very careful under heavy driving especially where the ESP/EDL is on the limit. I had mixed tyres on a previous A3 quattro and nearly ended up in a crash as the electronics could not counter for the differences in the rubber on each corner.

It didn't take long for a mechanic to note the problem and a quick shout at quickfit (it was a company car at the time) ensured they fitted 2 new tyres on the car). the next evening, near identical wet conditions the car handled completely differently and managable round the same bend.

Please be very careful unless you change all the tyres to be the same make.

As far as tyre choice goes, I struggle to see how after Audi spend so much time on R&D and test many makes of tyres for a car, why its necessary to try to out do their engineering. I have always left the Audi choice of delivery tyre on the car and been very happy with the results, especially as i don't have the time to spend fiddling about with trying differnt tyres on the car...
    Last edited by garethholt; 14th November 2007 at 17:48.