Flat Spot 3.2

edition

Reaction score
Hi,

1st poster here with a new car (new to me). I have just bought a 05 plt a3 3.2 s-line and think i might have a problem.

It seems to have a flat spot upto about 2k as above 2k there is a noticable step up in smoothness and power.....

Is this normal?

Other than that im very happy!

I had a flat spot on mine a bit higher in the rev range (2500-3000) which I eventually found was the little plunger had come off the end of the inlet manifold...if you open the bonnet and look down towards the rad on the right of the plastic maifold you will see what i mean, its a little vacuum unit with a little plunger coming off it to the end of the manifold...Not sure how it works but I think it opens the valve in the manifold when under load?...might not be your problem but worth a look as it had fallen off on mine somehow...?:icon_thumright:

Thanks for the help will have a look when i get time! Just dont know if thats how they are...

Only other problem i have is that when going slowly and putting on full lock quickly i run out of assistance. Is this normal?

Cheers!

If your car is still under warranty then get it to a dealer to sort...it was a common problem on the 3.2 and a new rack was the cure I think, mine was done under warranty but I still get the problem even now,although not as bad as before...if its not under warranty then I wouldnt worry, you`ll get used to it.:icon_thumright:

Might be a software issue. My Mk 4 R32 used to suffer from this, and there was an update on Vag.com, dealer again.

And welcome.

Had it on both 3.2s I have owned. It's at about 2200rpm. Most noticeable when on a light throttle and trying to drive smoothly and it buggers it up and makes you look like a learner (or is that just me?). Wasn't aware of a cure, but have had a new rack on both cars and haven't noticed any difference - actually why would it help?

Read post #4 - edition quotes a steering issue. I assume this is what Wes_G was refering to, at least I hope so ;)

Cheers - must learn to read as well as drive properly.

Steering rack problems are frequent - can go all lumpy if you try to turn the wheel quickly at low speeds. Either that or it makes a creaking noise when turning left. New racks are supposed to cure it but I have had three. The latest one is by far the best but not perfect.

excuse me for not knowing but what is a 'flat spot'?

killa_z said:
excuse me for not knowing but what is a 'flat spot'?

[SIZE=-1]A point during acceleration when the engine seems to lose power for an instant.[/SIZE]

ah, got it!

will have to check on mine, only got it recently so im still learning it