Wost Case Scenario For A TDI - Solutions?

emzino

Reaction score
I recently watched the Top Gear episode where the A8 TDI was driven from London to Edinborough on one tank.

During his trip I distinctly remember and won't ever forget how he said that when a Diesel runs out of fuel, you don't just go down to a petrol station, get some fuel then fill it up. It's not like a petrol car.

With a Diesel, you need to "blead the system". Now I don't have a clue what that means or how it's done.

What exactly do you have to do if that's ever the case?

Also, if you've run out of Oil on a long journey. Do you stop much earlier or can you drive till it dries out? What do you do in that scenario?

If theres any anyone else can think of, please mention it as i'm making a word document that i'll be putting in the car so I know what to do heh.

Thank you

First thing to do is accept your out of fuel and not try and restart the car this only emptys the fuel system more and causes more trouble later

to bleed a diesel- add diesel too fuel tank then turn key, engine will crank and crank until either battery goes flat or engine fires up, If it stalls repeat. The car should auto bleed but it may take a while. avoid long bursts of cranking to prevent battery/starter motor damage.
If oil level light come on top up oil as soon as possible. If oil pressure light comes on stop immeadiatly.

Thanks alot, thought it'd be much more complicated then that!

Do you carry the Audi book in your car? I keep mine at home but I think I should carry it with me from now on...

In my opinion it is always better to keep the owners handbook in the car. It's not a lot of use if it's at home especially when you need it most when you have a problem out and about on the road.

A great deal of what the manual tells you is fairly obvious but it does contain some little jewels of knowledge about things your car can do. I've always been the kind to always read manuals for everything I purchase (even things like irons etc).

Warning lights etc can be a bit confusing at times as the Audi's use various combinations of blinking lights etc to warn about faults. Without the handbook close at hand (i.e. in the car) you could be left in the dark. Not sure if the handbook covers things like bleeding the fuel system though.

That Top Gear was a repeat too. The 'new' Audi A8 with V8 TDi is now 2-3 years old!!! IIRC.

With the 'trip' computer you have no excuses for ever running out of fuel, and if you checked your oil weekly then you'd never need to 'go dry' on a journey either!!

Good point marms, think they book will have a new home back in the car =)

And Teejay it's just incase something ad happens. Worst case scenario remember ;)