Airbag Deactivation?

MarcQuinlivan

Reaction score
Website
audiretrofit.quinlivan.net
I'm about to order the ambient light pack from VAGParts.

They need to know if I have a sunroof or if I have airbag deactivation installed. Airbag deactivation is not something I would have ordered as an extra with the car. Anybody know how to tell if my car does or doesn't have it?

I assume it is the feature to disable the passenger airbag. According to the manual there should be a keyhole in the glovebox to disable the airbag. I don't have one, so presumably that means I don't have it installed.

Also, would anybody know what the airbag deactivation has to do with the interior light cluster? Seems strange that there would be any link.

I thought it was standard spec. Have a look in the glovebox and there should be a key slot tha you turn using the ignition key. Mine also had a status light next to the hazards switch in the centre of the dash.

nah, mine doesn't have that. perhaps it is only standard on UK cars

here's a pic of my glovebox I've taken from a phatnoise install doc I posted previously.

PhatNoise_021-large.jpg

I ordered one last week and it arrived today and has been fitted tonight in the dark in 20 mins max.

I gave them the chassis number and they sent the part. The number told them the colour and spec.

From your picture you don't have the switch where mine is.

MarcQuinlivan said:
Also, would anybody know what the airbag deactivation has to do with the interior light cluster? Seems strange that there would be any link.

I believe some have a warning light as part of the overhead light unit, & others dont, so you need the right one.

If you ordered bucket seats (with no ISOfix mounts) you don't get the deactivation switch.

stan said:
I believe some have a warning light as part of the overhead light unit, & others dont, so you need the right one.
This is correct. Whilst all A3s have the key-switch in the glovebox to deactivate the passenger airbag, on earlier models there was a warning light on the overhead light cluster. This always illuminates briefly when the car is started, and then goes out when the airbag system has done its self-checks and is ok but, if you deactivate, the light stays on.

On newer models this light was removed in favour of one on the dashboard next to the ESP switch and a DIS warning too, if you have DIS that is.

They're probably just asking if you have this light so they can send you the correct overhead console plate.