S3 Superchips, See Below

DaveS3Turbo

Sepang Blue S3
Reaction score
Hi all,

Right I'm about to order myself a bluefin for S3 2.0T.

Questions.
Is it detecable by the dealer ( Reser Flash Counter Enabled Yet? ) ?
What happens if dealer does an ECU Update @ Service ?
Is superchips reliable With the 2.0T engine Etc.... ?
What do superchips normally change ( Boost, Timing Etc.. )?
Can it be put back to stock exactly with te bluefin?

Any help to these questions would be much appreciated.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm considering Bluefin for 2.0T A4 Avant (219BHP version) - spoke to Superchips who told me that the dealer will not spot the upgrade at service but also that you can use Bluefin handset to re-set to factory settings if needed. If the dealer did re-set ECU as part of service I guess you could re-apply the re-map. Keep the thread going, be interested to hear how you get on :)

Flash counter still affected by Bluefin - but shouldn't be an issue, majority of remaps still do this including Revo, APR, Morego etc.

Bluefin holds 2 maps - your cars original OEM & the 'Remap'.

No issues with reliability, I had my previous Golf GT1 2.0T mapped to 240bhp with zero issues and all on MKivs forum seems very happy.

Get it mapped at the bucks HQ - quote this forum and you will get a 10% discount and free before and after RR print outs.

I've had last 5 cars mapped by them and ecived excellent service with nil issues, currently torn between an APR cruise switchable map or Bluefin for my own car at the moment - similar gains but the Bluefin is far better value for money complete with guarantee ( Not that you'll need it:) ).

I have been speaking to Awesome GTi in Irlam Manchester but the price of £585 + £99 for the additional stock map is the stumbling block, think I'll go for Bluefin again..

Me too. I have been offered the discount and they will send me the bluefin.

Will it reset the flash counter " this was in progress last time I heard "

How many pople with S3's have bluefin on here, any issues?

David

Had mine Bluefinned a few months ago very happy.Car went in for a recall recently simply reinstalled standard map.When car came back had to have bluefin reprogrammed as the recall put a new file in the ECU.Superchips did this remotely all good.Hope this helps.

Very seriously considering bluefin also.. £599 + 10% discount puts it at about £540 which is good :thumbsup:

I think a trip to their Bucks HQ would be the way to do it. Get those before and after RR printouts to verify that the gains have been worthwhile.

Now just need to find the time to do it.. :think:

-Sal-

Anyone no if they do bluefin for a 1.9tdi a4 100bhp?

A correction to one of the posts above - Revo do reset your flash counter back to zero.

Anyone with a remapped 8P S3 had a new forge DV installed yet ? Any comments on its abiility to hold boost for longer ?

TheWusMan said:
A correction to one of the posts above - Revo do reset your flash counter back to zero.

Anyone with a remapped 8P S3 had a new forge DV installed yet ? Any comments on its abiility to hold boost for longer ?

Yes I think you are correct revo do flash back to zero but my concern with Revo and APR is their encryption mapping and the fact that they do not keep the oem map for example after any free trial the standard map that the car reverts to is one of their own whereas Bluefin 'saves' your original - the other issue being as the map is encrypted it means a trip back to your local remapper if the dealer reflashes your ECU, at least with bluefin it can be done by E-mail - sounds like I'm convincing myself again - looks like I'll go for bluefin again, perhaps I should open an account LOL :)

I promised myself I'd wait a year before a remap but its getting more tempting all the time..

I have always be very wary of Superchips (Subaru) They used to just up the boost without changing fueling and ignition which led to very expensive bangs, Does the Bluefin get a custom map for the individual car or just a generic change? and does it do more than just up the boost.

Power_Junkie said:
I have always be very wary of Superchips (Subaru) They used to just up the boost without changing fueling and ignition which led to very expensive bangs, Does the Bluefin get a custom map for the individual car or just a generic change? and does it do more than just up the boost.

According to the website they alter many of the cars ECU settings to maximise the cars potential, the maps are generic but can be amended to suit clients requirements, the majority of remaps from the big companies that are on the market are all generic with just a few being the exception. I believe Superchips/Bluefin use a generic map as it has been tested in that application so thay can safely offer their 30,000 mile or 12 month warranty, this is underwritten by Firebond and extendable every 12 months for a nominal charge - to offer this they obviously have confidence in their abilities. I think they have come a long way in the last 27 years with the vast majority of customers being very happy I also think alot of the previous bad PR arose from poor franchisee service rather than originating from HQ.

gkf9 said:
Anyone no if they do bluefin for a 1.9tdi a4 100bhp?

Doesn't look like it - I had a look on the website and it doesn't come up as an option for that engine.

I will be going for Bluefin when my A3 arrives (hopefully in a months time now).

Surely bluefin won't just up the boost. Thats more like joes garage that would do that I assume.

If the funds come in from a sold PS3 I will be getting a bluefin. When the original map is put back on does it remove the map totally.

Dave

Would it be safe to thrash the car as normal with the remap also. What are your opinions...

TheWusMan said:

Hello,

I have had my S3 bluefined and had the diverter valve and carbonio air intake fitted. My initial thoughts of the remap were that i didnt feel much difference, but after a few hours of driving the car it starts to become apparent that its alot faster, i was going to get a Revo remap but found the customer service of all the stockists in my area very poor.

Between the diverter valve and air intake i would go for the diverter valve every time, it really does make a difference, the turbo spools up quicker and it feels like you get extra torque top end.

I wouldnt rush out to buy the air intake, as it hasnt really made much of a difference, all i will say about remapping your car is that a custom remap may be better, as over the past few months i have noticed people on here raving about them, i just dont know anywhere near leeds (where im from) that does them.

Thanks

I'm itching to get my new A4 chipped (2.0 TFSI 220) but its a leased car and if I managed to void the warrenty im sure I'd end up with the sack. If you put it back to the normal settings is there any way the garage can tell?

I had a lotus a few years ago and when we plugged a laptop into it we knew everything

wish they did a blufin for the 170 - they say they won't be doing one cos it has some different ECU that they can't crack

audivirgin said:
I'm itching to get my new A4 chipped (2.0 TFSI 220) but its a leased car and if I managed to void the warrenty im sure I'd end up with the sack. If you put it back to the normal settings is there any way the garage can tell?

I had a lotus a few years ago and when we plugged a laptop into it we knew everything

I doubt an Audi dealer would go looking for it, if you use bluefin and somehting happens just remove the map before calling out the AA. Our lot at work keep filling cars up with petrol, which isn't such a bad thing - except there designed to run on diesel ..... the contract company has never issued us with a warning to tell us any damage will be chargeable, and when faults do occur then it takes ages for a dealer to find a problem.

davidmann said:
Surely bluefin won't just up the boost. Thats more like joes garage that would do that I assume.

If the funds come in from a sold PS3 I will be getting a bluefin. When the original map is put back on does it remove the map totally.

Dave

The bluefin swops your remap back to the original and increments the flash counter. Unless they have now found a way around it.

JohnS3 said:
The bluefin swops your remap back to the original and increments the flash counter. Unless they have now found a way around it.

Simplified the bluefin device acts like a memory stick storing the 2 maps, each time you upload either map the flash counter increases by 1, some competitors use the memory space on the actual ECU to store the maps (up to 4) and encrypt the maps in an attempt to protect their software, as far as I know only GIAC have the capability to avoid Flash count with superchips/bluefin being close to cracking it the last time I spoke to them.

I spoke with Awesome the other day about an APR map and they said not to worry about the flash counter as they have mapped many brand new cars whose count was greater than the anticipated 1 so if quizzed by your dealer best option would be to deny all knowledge of any remap.

Spin140 said:
I spoke with Awesome the other day about an APR map and they said not to worry about the flash counter as they have mapped many brand new cars whose count was greater than the anticipated 1 so if quizzed by your dealer best option would be to deny all knowledge of any remap.

All well and good but the fact is if the car is remapped and the dealer finds the remap they are well within their right to refuse any warranty work on the car full stop irrespective of playing dumb to the remap.

Any company selling remaps are going to say it will be ok as they would never do any business if they said it may cause problems with the dealer.

You pays your money and takes your chance.....

davidmann said:
Would it be safe to thrash the car as normal with the remap also. What are your opinions...

It would be ok to drive it hard but i'd be wary about thrashing it everywhere as remember there will be a lot more stress on the engine, gearbox and clutch with the extra power increase.

You might be ok you might be not (clutch, gearbox etc), I had my last 2 old S3's remapped and had no major issues but you never know.

I'm going to wait til a few more people have had their new S3's done to see what problems if any appear...

Quite a few people have had them done now. I don;t play on doing over 25000 in mine anyways.

DM

Has anyone had an 07 plate A4 Special Edition 2.0 TFSI (219BHP) 'Bluefinned' - is it worth it? Any problems encountered?

Dave,

I have 110k miles since my superchips remap, and its driven hard for most of that time (hours at 100mph+ on autobahns.. Ediburgh-Zurich in one shot for instance). No misfires whatsoever. Still running like a train.

I have every confidence in Superchips. (and no I dont work for them).

Thats great mileage on a remapped engine and proves the point that it needn't affect longevity of engine components if remapped to a sensible level.

Do you stick with the usual service intervals or more frequent now the magic 100,000 has been surpassed ?

IainP said:
Has anyone had an 07 plate A4 Special Edition 2.0 TFSI (219BHP) 'Bluefinned' - is it worth it? Any problems encountered?

Try the A4 forum dude

one of my clients has bluefinned his S3... 315 on the rollers! i've driven the car, and it's so different in performance to a "stock" S3... way worth it in my opinion...not detectable by us either...

Have they made a new map? I know the re-released the 2.0TFSI map after I got one so may so.

315bhp is 320PS, which sounds a lot better :icon_thumright:

aliaudi said:
one of my clients has bluefinned his S3... 315 on the rollers! i've driven the car, and it's so different in performance to a "stock" S3... way worth it in my opinion...not detectable by us either...

Unless you drive it.... ;)

I spoke to a mate today who works for audi and he said that if you have a remap and audi flash the car they also reload the original data on and that it can f*ck the ecu up. whether or not its detected

Thats one reason why its advisable to put your car back to standard when it is going in for service.

This is where Bluefin is really good as the cars original map is stored on the handset and can be easily downloaded to the car.

Spin, I keep the car on the variable service scheme, not earlier or anything special. It tells me when it needs servicing and I service it. Works out between 15-18k between services.

When I had it remapped at 5k, it used to blow through into "limp mode" with the turbo overboosting. I think that this was a combination of me learning how to drive it, running it in and maybe the previous owner bimbled around more than I do.

I reckon driving it rapidly does it no harm or may even keep it cleared out of deposits. It was doing a Road Angel indicated 120mph in Germany, loaded up to the roof with camping kit and mountain bikes. No complaints at all.

I was going to change to a A3 170 Quattro but the DPF issue put me right off. So I am torn between keeping it or changing to a VW T5 Sportline van. These re-map to about 210 bhp. But then again, a ZZR1400 would be nice next year, my old ZZR11 has 85k on it.....

There is no danger of the map being flashed over at Audi. It has only had one dealer service in its life. It goes to Jim and Brian at Star Performance... who I may ask about a bigger turbo to take it over 200bhp... still on the original clutch too though loads of people have had failures with clutches after remaps. Maybe a TDi Q clutch is beefier from the Audi TT Quattro...

HTH