Help with installing my new Alpine screen please.

mrmuscle

Audi, the next best thing to Bodybuilding
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Am after some help again please on my '03 3.2 quattro.
I tried fitting my Alpine IVA-D310 screen today but it didnt power up. after having a look at the plugs, i noticed the one supplying the power only has a battery cable and an earth cable but no Acc cable. I double checked this with my trusty voltmeter.
I have just been poking loads of plugs in my car to try and find one but to no avail. And this was a long process as i did this on my own and had to keep turning the key on off etc.
I know this is a long shot but does anyone who has been through this same problem know where i can find this cable and/or know how to get around this?
Thank you

When I fitted an Alpine unit into my Golf I had to find a switched live, according to the instructions I had to splice into the light switch and mine works well.

mrmuscle said:
Hi guys,
Am after some help again please on my '03 3.2 quattro.
I tried fitting my Alpine IVA-D310 screen today but it didnt power up. after having a look at the plugs, i noticed the one supplying the power only has a battery cable and an earth cable but no Acc cable. I double checked this with my trusty voltmeter.
I have just been poking loads of plugs in my car to try and find one but to no avail. And this was a long process as i did this on my own and had to keep turning the key on off etc.
I know this is a long shot but does anyone who has been through this same problem know where i can find this cable and/or know how to get around this?
Thank you
You'll need to run a wire from the fusebox to sort this as there is no switched live behind the radio. If you have a LHD car this will be to the left of the steering wheel. you'll need to prise off the side panel (see user manual for this).

I had to do this for my Nokia 610 car kit. The best thing to do is take a test light and touch a fuse with it, then turn the ignition on and off to find a fuse with switched live. From memory I used the fuse 21 or 22. I think this is for the AirCon or rear wiper. Again, the user manual gives you a full rundown of what each fuse is for and what it runs. I can check when I get home to confirm which fuse I've used.

When you've found the fuse you want to use you'll need to take a tap off it with the wire you've run across, or you can purchase a "piggy-back" fuse to do the job neatly.

MarcQuinlivan said:
You'll need to run a wire from the fusebox to sort this as there is no switched live behind the radio. If you have a LHD car this will be to the left of the steering wheel. you'll need to prise off the side panel (see user manual for this).

I had to do this for my Nokia 610 car kit. The best thing to do is take a test light and touch a fuse with it, then turn the ignition on and off to find a fuse with switched live. From memory I used the fuse 21 or 22. I think this is for the AirCon or rear wiper. Again, the user manual gives you a full rundown of what each fuse is for and what it runs. I can check when I get home to confirm which fuse I've used.

When you've found the fuse you want to use you'll need to take a tap off it with the wire you've run across, or you can purchase a "piggy-back" fuse to do the job neatly.

Hi Marc,
i did as you advised and found a fuse that did this.
the only problem is i cant trace the wire from the back of the fuse box to tap into it, do i just put the wire in with the fuse so the fuse holds it once its clipped into the fusebox?

mrmuscle said:
Hi Marc,
i did as you advised and found a fuse that did this.
the only problem is i cant trace the wire from the back of the fuse box to tap into it, do i just put the wire in with the fuse so the fuse holds it once its clipped into the fusebox?
what I did was wrap the end of the wire around the fuse. you can do the piggyback option which is the tidiest if you want.

The best thing to do is remove the fuse and find which end of the fuse receptacle is live with the fuse out. in other words take out the fuse and stick the test light into the hole with the ignition on. the end that lights the test light is the live end. strip the wire back and wrap the end of it around the end you are going to stick into the non-live end. this way you still get the security of having a fuse between your head unit and the live current. then put the fuse back into the hole and bob's your uncle.

thank you kind sir, i did it and houston we have lift off!
i did it on a 5amp fuse though, is this ok?

mrmuscle said:
thank you kind sir, i did it and houston we have lift off!
i did it on a 5amp fuse though, is this ok?

happy days!!

the lower the fuse you use the better. i think I have mine on a 10amp.

by the way, since you didn't request any sarcasm in this post I left it out! :)

MarcQuinlivan said:
happy days!!

the lower the fuse you use the better. i think I have mine on a 10amp.

by the way, since you didn't request any sarcasm in this post I left it out! :)

haha, thanks again for the advice.
sorry to everyone if we got off on the wrong foot but it just isnt nice when someone is genuinely asking for help and someone, rather than helps just makes a silly comment.