What to look out for when collecting new car?

SMc

Reaction score
Website
www.smcphotography.co.uk
I should be picking up my new Sportback within the next week or so. Its the first new car I've bought so want to make sure I check absolutely everything before I drive it out the dealers!

Does anyone have any guidelines on what to look out for in case I miss anything?

Cheers

SMc said:
Does anyone have any guidelines on what to look out for in case I miss anything?
Cheers

No not really, just the obvious like the paintwork, the alloys and the spec (to make sure everything you ordered is on there!) Anything else will be covered, without argument, by warranty hopefully, even if the car has left the showroom.

I think the main thing is to enjoy the experience, and from what I've read on here, that seems to vary depending on the dealer. Some seem to make it really special (as it should be for that price of car) and some take it for granted and even try to diddle you out of your free oil, in a nice wee bag, in the boot.

Good luck, and enjoy the experience, the day, and the drive :jump:

If you're not part-exchanging, take someone with you to drive your car back. :icon_thumright:

When I order a new car I tell them at the outset that I will be going over it with a tooth comb and will reject any car that needs paint work rectificatiion of any sort.
If I were you at this stage I would ask to see it a day or so before you are due to pick it up for your initial inspection. Watch out that they do not take off the protective coating too soon as bird poo could leave a nasty etch mark in the paint work.
Get nice and low and look at the panels from both ends of the car for dents. You will be excited and may miss something. Take your time and try to keep a cool head. Do not inspect it if the body work is wet.
Check all round the rims of the wheels for marks in the alloy. At £500 times a go you don't want to be forking out cos as soon as you leave the garage they will say it is your fault.
The big thing is to reject it before they tax it as afterwards it is more tricky for them to deal with.
In 2002 I was due to pick up a new Golf V6 4 motion. When I went to inspect it before hand it had a scrape on the door edge that had just been touched up with a paint stick.
I walked away (after quite a stressful conversation) with a full refund.
Remember it is your money and all they want to do is make their sales figures. Harsh but realistic!!
Good luck, prt

yes i agree with all the above - fine tooth comb is needed - walk away and notice something at a later date (like i did) and trust me they will leave you high and dry - customer service doesn't come into it then once they got your money

Thanks for the feedback guys....

Now then....what exactly am i meant to get from Audi at the start? half tank of petrol, 12months road tax....and some oil? anything else?

SMc said:
Thanks for the feedback guys....

Now then....what exactly am i meant to get from Audi at the start? half tank of petrol, 12months road tax....and some oil? anything else?
I got a full tank of fuel, full set of Audi floor mats, first aid kit and some other bits and pieces too.

One thing to remember, don't let the "valet" monkeys at Audi anywhere near your car with their nasty sponges.

Tell them to take the shipping tape off and leave the paintwork alone. Book it in with a proper detailer.

P.S. Audi brochure states full tank of fuel on delivery. Hold them to it.

Your only trouble with doing the paintwork yourself is that if a scratch stc is found how do you prove it wasn't the detailer and that the car had been delivered with a defect in the first place?

prt

I think you will find that the brochures now state half a tank of fuel. Bit mean really!