Passenger A-pilar rattle

steve184

Reaction score
Hi - at long last i've had chance to have a go at finding an annoying noise in my car which is caused by a very specific bass-line of sound from my BOSE stereo system. It manifests itself 'inside the A-pillar trim, but only when the door (obvious place of vibration origin being the speaker in the door which even on its own with other turned off creates a lot of vibration) is closed, ie, pressed tight against the door frame so the vibration can be transmitted into the A-pillar. OK so far. Methinks, ahh will be something lose within the A-pillar panel. So managed to pull the trim off - bit awkward but easy when you know how! And found that all that is under there is some bundled wires and a curtain airbag - and upon close listening - not the cause of the rattle. So i'm now at a bit of a loss, without actually going to Audi to have it looked at. Know whats going to happen there. A they will tell me something daft like its actually the exhaust rattling and it is being trnasmitted through the car body. And (B) My car will in some way be damaged (even if its some tiny mark somewhere this WILL happen). Anyway i digress - i can't work out where else its coing from but it certainly is and loud as life - i can hear it over loud bass-heavy music. Seems to be coming from deeper, ie, inside the metal part of the A-pillar but then this seems to be filled with some sort of foam - anybody know if there is anything within the metal A-pillars that could rattle? Its definately not in the door, as when the door is open, its fine, its only when the door is closed properly and tightly against the door frame.

Jeezz i thought these were supposed to be 'well-built'!

Any ideas anyone?

Which side of the car - driver or passenger ?

I had a rattle which sounded much as you describe, but it turned out the be the catches at either end of the glove box.

Is it the A or B post, could be the seatbelt adjuster.

no its definately from the Apillar passenger side not the b-pillar - i have created a very very useful sound track which contains low bass tones - and this is superb at showig the rattle up - even at low volumes on the stereo and because i have taken all frequencies above 80Hz out you can hear the rattle very loud! At least this will aid audi in finding it - if and when i take it in (most probably when) as its driving me insane!

But then heres a question - what if they cannot find it and cure it? Where do i stand?

Turn the bass down, have you checked the fuse box everything tight, have you tried emptying the glovebox & then leaving it open, you can even remove the glovebox with 3 bolts i think, might narrow down the prob.
I guess it happens when stationary remove the door panel check every thing out even drive without the panel fitted.
Me i would take it to the dealers, i've got a rattle at the mo. drivers door in the lock area been into the dealers 3 times for this, with no success, but i have found the trim broke on the lower screw so it wont tighten, when you push the lower trim in the rattle stops weird screw bottom rattle top. new trim on order I'm sure the dealers hate me with my rattles & squeeks.
Never had any rattles until the dealers replaced the glovebox& replaced the drivers window.

yeh rattles are minor - but you don't buy an audi - a car with a price premium over in excess of 25% on an equivalent, 'run of the mill car' to have it feel like a rattle bucket - supposed to be a quality product.

I thought the fuse box was on the driver side???????? Defo not turning bass down! i paid 600 quid for Cd changer and BOSE so i want to use it! Its defo not anything in the door - as i say no rattles when the door isnt pressed tightly against frame, ie, when closed. Yes i can make it happen when stationery! - have even created a special track on CD which when played (even at very low volume) it sends the rattle crazy.

But thanks you came up with some useful suggestions there - nice to see.

I've got a squeaky handbrake- only happens occasionally, but so very annoying.

steve184 said:
i have created a very very useful sound track which contains low bass tones - and this is superb at showig the rattle up - even at low volumes on the stereo and because i have taken all frequencies above 80Hz out you can hear the rattle very loud!

wouldn't mind getting a copy of that if you wouldn't mind sharing it. It'd certainly come in handy.

Believe it or not, the handbrake button is a common source of buzz/rattle.
Took me ages, and a test-drive with a mechanic, to identify it.
I thought it was coming from the dash, but the mechanic spotted it immediately.
Eliminate it as a possible by pressing your thumb on the button when you play the CD.

MarcQuinlivan said:
wouldn't mind getting a copy of that if you wouldn't mind sharing it. It'd certainly come in handy.

same here, share the wealth dude