Changing my S3 in-dash CD player to a 1 DIN player?! How?!

dinin

Reaction score
Hi guys!

What is needed to change the standard S3 (2007 model) in dash cd player to a 1 DIN Pioneer DVD/Navigation unit?

Some sort of adapter to fit it there, but what about cabling?

Where can I get these adapters and the cover to make the 1 DIN unit fit there in the quite "large" (over 2DIN?!) space?

Thanks really much for your help!

Cheers,

Petteri

Finland

You would need a new single din cage, new climate unit, new switches cup holder etc, Imo not worth the hassle!.
I had the Alpine single din sat nav unit which I sold to do the RNS-E conversion, much better option and as you already have the double din dash, I would seriously consider going down this route.

Hope that helps

Julian

Deffo

Get the standard Audi RNS-E unit. Will fit like a glove and no cabling required just plug and play.

You will need someone to code it with a laptop though but this is no problem to someone who knows what they are doing.

or just fit a Pioneer double din unit and put the single din on ebay.

I'm sure someone on here with a single DIN unit might want to "swop" the required parts.

Hi again!

Ok, I might then go with the double din Pioneer / RNS-E. Any idea where I could buy a RNS-E in Europe in case I go that road?

What about iPOD integration with RNS-E? I have the std. ipod integration now with the current player and it sucks. No titles etc.. So I really would like it to support iPOD integration well too.

Pioneer AVIC-D3 looks also really nice.. Can even play iPOD videos from it...

Cheers,

Petteri

eBAY seems to be the best place for RNS-e. Just check the sellers feedback. There are a few selling them at the moment so you have few to choose from.

The RNS-e uses the same iPOD interface that you are currently using. And yes it is rubbish in terms of integration.

The RNS-e does however have 2 SD card slots that you can load with MP3's and that is a much better option and is fully supported with track names etc being displayed. The RNS-e will also be much easier to fit.

Personally I think the RNS-e is the way forward if you want to keep the OEM look but the Pioneer will probably be better if sound/iPOD integration are higher on your priorities.