New A4 comments on Top Gear website

Amchlolor

Reaction score
"Driving isn't exactly the complete pleasure of a 3-Series or a C-Class, both of which have a slightly better mix of ride and handling, but that doesn't mean the Audi is bad. It isn't, but it's just not quite as composed and a little bit more plough-on understeery than its rivals"

Dunno how I feel about this.
I was hoping it would have been something more along the lines of "right up there with the 3 series",which was Audis aim,after all.

Whoa Bowfer, after your well documented relationship with the sportback I am surprised that your are actually looking at the the new A4 at all. If I were so fed up with a car I would drop the whole brand like a burning brick... ;-)

Just make sure you dont go for the "chavvy" s-line!!

TBH,the only thing that's steering (sic) me towards the new A4 is the 14 speaker Bang + Olufsen stereo option.
Nothing else about it floats my boat really.

bowfer said:
TBH,the only thing that's steering (sic) me towards the new A4 is the 14 speaker Bang + Olufsen stereo option.
Nothing else about it floats my boat really.

Thats a pretty reasonable reason to go with it! Thats got to be the most amazing stock car stereo ever!

StevenAFC said:
Thats a pretty reasonable reason to go with it! Thats got to be the most amazing stock car stereo ever!

It's not stock,it's a £550 option.

The C-Class get's my vote, if I was in a position to change, I'd consider the new merc. Although, I'm addicted to quattro, if only merc did a quattro c-class.

arthurfuxake said:
The C-Class get's my vote, if I was in a position to change, I'd consider the new merc. Although, I'm addicted to quattro, if only merc did a quattro c-class.

I know it gets all sorts of plaudits,but it's nowhere near my list.
Firstly,I can't get past the rather stuffy/Golf club image.
Secondly,Mercs are still perceived as dearer than the likes of Audi/BMW,so it would give clients the wrong impression.
Honestly,we've heard it before.
They won't think much about you pulling up in an Audi or BMW,but they'll make comment about a Merc.
Too 'showy',if you like.

/
jonnyc said:
Just make sure you dont go for the "chavvy" s-line!!

not trying to be cheeky but u seem to think the "s line" is chavvy, in what ways? the big wheels and the lowered stance? so what makes your s3?

I think he was a tongue in cheek comment towards Bowfer, who brands everything that isn't on the base model of a car "chav" with the exception of wheels and B&O stereos...

To be fair, with front wheel drive and an engine mounted a long way forward they're never going to reach 3 series levels of handling.

As for the car generally, the boss has just taken delivery of an A5 complete with the B&O sound system plus £5k worth of other options, including nav, bluetooth, digital radio, digital TV, AMI ipod interface and some other bits and it's an extremely impressive machine. The 3.0TDI engine is superb and it goes like a train!

normski said:
I think he was a tongue in cheek comment towards Bowfer, who brands everything that isn't on the base model of a car "chav" with the exception of wheels and B&O stereos...

Specifically things like dark windows and especially aftermarket exhausts.

Macduff said:
So is that a standard can on your gixxer then? :p

Yes.
Standard and 100% road legal.
I'm assuming the colour and plate are fooling you.
Mine is an anniversary model though,which comes with a black can.
The plate says 'anniversary',not Micron/Akrapovich/Scorpion...

mfspen said:
There's a slightly longer review of the new A4 on the What Car site :
http://www.whatcar.com/car-review-full.aspx?RT=2796
It gets 4 stars

Compared with :
C-Class - 4 stars
3-Series - 5 stars
Jag S - 3 stars

I guess another option would be the Passat, assuming it gets the new CR engine too.

Hmmm...
I still don't know what to make of the tests I've read.
I was hoping and expecting for something pretty special,but the reviews are barely any better than the current model !
I think I'll give it a miss,B+O stereo or not.

arthurfuxake said:
There's no better way to judge the car than on a 24-48 hour test drive.:jump:

When are dealers due to get demonstrators ?
I can't be ***** phoning them,they'll take that as a green light to hassle me every day from that point forward.
I really was hoping for "wow,this thing is so much better than the current A4",that's all.
The lukewarm response has deflated my interest somewhat !

Audi not use Bose as there "premium" sound system anymore?

emzino said:
Audi not use Bose as there "premium" sound system anymore?

They seem to offer three levels of stereo now.
Standard,Bose,B+O.
To answer your question though,B+O now seems to be the premium option.

Fair few inaccuracies in that honestjohn roadtest.
Firstly,he says it's a 1.9tdi engine,which it isn't.
Then he says all A4's come with LED daytime running lights,which is wrong again (they are an option).
Having read all the tests,the general consensus seems to be that the new A4 is fine enough,but that's a wee bit of a disappointment to me.
It would appear the 3-series still owns the sector.

bowfer said:
Fair few inaccuracies in that honestjohn roadtest.
Firstly,he says it's a 1.9tdi engine,which it isn't....
Might be a typo, because he correctly refers to it as the 2.0TDI 143 further down. Seems to rate the new CR engine quite highly.

mfspen said:
Seems to rate the new CR engine quite highly.

Yeah,all of them seem to think the 143bhp 2.0tdi performs well enough.
You know how it goes though.
I have to order soon,so it would have to be the 143bhp.
Guaranteed,two weeks after I order they will release the 175bhp version and I'll be hacked off !