170ps TDi DSG ( s tronic )

SteveTDCi

Reaction score
Does anyone on here have one of these ? I was thinking of the A4 multitronic but feel the DSG box would be a better option and I prefer the look of the A3. Whats the 170 like,

I have the 140 golf with a chip and would do the same to either the 170 or 140. I'm leaning towards the sportback model, i'd like white with the glass roof, but this might be hard to find used, although I have found a nicely specced black one ..... oh and does anyone have the open sky roof, I think it might let some much needed light into the cabin.

:hi: Yeah I've got the 170 stronic & am loving it I had a Octavia vrs before & swear it's faster, gear change is smooth when gently going or just caining it, but you soon learn that going in fast to a junction/corner etc that you manually change down ready to cain it out so it's smooth & ready to go.

Have'nt got the sunroof but thats how I like.

I have the DSG & after trying the multitronic, i find the DSG leagues ahead.
I have the 140 myself, so cant comment on the 170, but i'm sure there has been problems with the chips for them.

I will only say one thing - TEST DRIVE ONE!

Seriously, the DSG/S-Tronic is a very personal thing - some love it whilst some hate it - only you can decide.

Drive a manual 170 at the same time,for the love of god....
;-)

Are you only looking at used cars ?

The A3 TDI gets the new 2.0 common rail diesel from next Spring (along with a facelift), so it would be worth waiting for that. Also, prices of used A3s with the old (140/170) PD engines are bound to take a hit when the new engines come out.

Yep its used, it would make me cry with the amount you lose on a new one. I might try the manual but i'm getting fed up with changing gear and just want to be lazy. The alternative to the A3 is a jaguar S type diesel, more toys auto and twin turbo and they are cheaper than an A3.

I drove a 170 for the 1st time at the weekend. Had been told previously that there wasn't much difference between it and the 140.

There definately is! It doesn't run out of steam as early on as a 140, seems willing to rev more. The power is a noticeable increase too. All in all impressed with it.

SteveTDCi said:
The alternative to the A3 is a jaguar S type diesel, more toys auto and twin turbo and they are cheaper than an A3.

Cool.
I love my (now retired) MD's S-type (sport model).
Definitely the most solid feeling car I've ever driven.
Not a natural competitor to the A3,but more fun to own/drive (IMO).
Real feel-good factor to it.

The wife has a 140 DSG remapped to 177bhp by Bluefin.

As others have said have a test drive then decide but if you do any driving in traffic the DSG IMO is superb, very smooth and fast without the jerkiness of the previous Triptronic we had. Economy is also superb with the car averaging 47 according to the DIS with 50+ easily achieved on long runs.

I'm a real fan of the DSG in all forward gears but still prefer a manual but having said that I only do short trips in my car to work etc whereas the wife will cover approx 25k+ in the DSG. My only complaint about the DSG is selection of reverse which has a noticeable delay so can lead to 'jerky' parking manouvers.

I think Superchips/Bluefin have bottomed out the issue related to the 170 and the DPF so imagine a 170 remapped would be a very fast tool indeed.

Just my 2p worth hope it helps.

It does help, I've got the remapped 140 Golf so presume it will be similar to the 170, but then i'd remap the 170 if thats what I got ... its just this Jag thing, apparently you need to be 900 years old or something .... but I like wood, leather and auto and they are cheap !

SteveTDCi said:
its just this Jag thing, apparently you need to be 900 years old or something .... but I like wood, leather and auto and they are cheap !

I've just turned 40,but I like the S-type !
I don't think they have the old bloke image that some cars do.
I wouldn't consider a Merc,for example.
I'm like you,I like wood and leather in the right car.
Wood would (sic) look daft in an A3,but it looks right in an S-type.
Even Clarkson rates the diesel S-type.
Didn't he call it the best diesel in the world ?
If I had the budget for an S-type,I'd have one in a shot.
It would be a black sport model,with cream leather interior.
Are you ever too young for luxury ?

bowfer said:
It would be a black sport model,with cream leather interior.
Are you ever too young for luxury ?

Good point.

I briefly looked at an X-type jag estate when I bought the A4 Avant, the jag was lovely in every respect but the wife thought it was an old mans car - I too am 40 so would have thought we were the target market for an executive car, just drive the 2 back to back and see which you prefer.

I preferred the A4 in the ned as with S-line it felt marginally sportier but having said that I only kept that 5 months before I got bored and found I wasn't utilising the extra space.

Always a tough decision when getting ready to part with your hard earned especially when you have a nice car in the first place.

Not as if the S-line can't hustle either,coz Clarkson (**** driver) managed to do a pretty respectable Nurburgring time in one !
It is entirely dependant on trim though.
Sport is the only one I'd consider,coz it has the right size/style of wheels.

If I go for the A3 it'll be the 2.0 TDi with DSG but the ones i'm looking at used start around 19k, if I go for a 2004 54 plate Jag Sport Auto then i'm looking at 18k ... I've actually been looking at blue or ultraviolet as jag calls them, but with the birds eye maple dash ( black wood ) with the Champange leather black dash and carpets, the beauty is I could do weddings at weekends !!!! The A3 is the more chuckable car, the S type is a cruiser, i'll get 40+ out of the A3 the Jag I reckon will be low 30's ... also with the way the govenment keep picking on the larger cars.

This is the first time i've ever stuggled for a replacement... I even like the A4 but the 3.0TDi is far too expensive. X type, there nice but no auto and when you compare the prices to an A4 they are a stonking bargin !

Well I don't suppose anyone could argue the Jag would be dearer to run,but would it that be that much dearer ?
The roadtest fuel consumption figures seem to suggest around 35mpg,which is pretty decent.
It's Co2 is 179,compared with around 159 for the A3,so I don't think roadtax is much more expensive either.
FWIW,after 3 years of pretty noisy A3 ownership,refinement is a top priority for my next motor.
Comfort is becoming more important than the occasional 'thrash' these days too,mostly because I'm rarely alone in the car.
Honestly mate,the thought of an S-type sport with full leather is making me jealous as **** !
There simply isn't an A3 I would have in preference,full stop (although I take the point that they are completely different animals).

Edit,how about a low mileage new-style Lexus IS220 diesel ???

These are the two cars I was looking at, both £17995, the blue one has 34k, the black 21k, blue doesn't have nav but makes up for it with adaptive cruise and xenons and split BBS alloys, both are sport models. Jag are giving away free servicing for 2 years which beats Audis offer as you would only get 1 service in ... running costs, the auto is 204 for Co2 and 36 mpg on the combined, dealers i've spoken to have said 30 ish if you spend your time in lots of traffic 38 on mostly motorways ... i like the look of the IS but would prefer the audi ... oh the choices, oh and the Jag is a big car its 1/2 metre longer than the GOlf and that struggles to fit in most spaces ...

pictures,

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/projectcab/03rdSept032.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/projectcab/03rdSept030.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/projectcab/03rdSept031.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/projectcab/MARTIN031.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/projectcab/MARTIN038.jpg

bowfer said:
Not as if the S-line can't hustle either,coz Clarkson (**** driver) managed to do a pretty respectable Nurburgring time in one !
Not that respectable - I've gone only 28secs slower in my 140TDI and was on for about a 10:15 at one point until I got blocked.

Back there next week in the 170, now about that time of yours Clarkson... :)

Oh man,Steve,those Jags are lovely.
Look at the interior,superb.
I'm looking at it this way.
If you buy the A3,and a Jag pulls up alongside,I'm guessing you'll always regret not going for one.
I can't imagine the same thing happening if you buy the Jag and an A3 pulls up alongside,can you ??
BTW,where's the salesman getting a Co2 of 209 for the diesel from ?
Everything I find says 179.
Jag have won green diesel of the year awards two years running.
Another thing to bear in mind.
Jaguar consistently beat Audi is reliability and customer satisfaction surveys.

Edit,see the black one to right of the black one you're looking at ?
The side on view ?
That's what my ex-MD's one looked like,but he had a black grille.
That's the wheels I would go for.

No probs with the S-type we had here.
No probs with his X-type previous to that either.
It is about time a car's history was freely available though.
I mean, anyone buying my car won't have a clue what a pain in the **** it's been, unless they call me.
The dealer will have the info, but they won't divulge it freely.
I've called previous owners when looking at used cars in dealers before though.
Their details can often be found in the glovebox somewhere.
Then I just ask them if it was a pleasure or a poultice.
Never had anyone object to me phoning them.

The 179 figure is for the manual, 204 is for the Auto. Jag dealers have been very good, one offered to bring the car to me for me to demo even though i'm 100 miles away. Having said that, Huntingdon Audi have also been very good... We'll see what happens this weekend, i've got a demo booked in an A3 dsg for a few hours

SteveTDCi said:
We'll see what happens this weekend, i've got a demo booked in an A3 dsg for a few hours

Make sure you do some stop/start driving.
If all you do is flowing driving,you'll think DSG is great.
Roundabout and junctions are it's downfall,amongst other things.
Oh,and wear a neckbrace...

;-)