2.0 TDI Using WATER (COOLANT)

stevehsv868

Unofficial Audi UK Endurance Test Driver
Reaction score
Has anyone's had there 2.0 TDI using water ???????

mine is using about a pint every few days...................

I cannot see a leak, so im thinking its the head gasket.... but there is no moisture on the bottom of the Oil filler cap. So if it is the head gasket it must have gone between compression and water........

any more idea ?????????????

cheers:motz:

does sound excessive amount of water, there is a problem for sure.

is the car still in warranty? if so then take it back to the dealers for them to sort out

otherwise it might be worth doing a compression and leakage check to see if there is a leak between the head gasket.

Yeah im thinking its the head gasket, its still in warrenty by 18 months

but you dont expect a head gasket at 31,000 miles

fantastic Audi build quality

mine had a complete new head at about 47,000 miles same symptoms water loss but clean oil and water. I wasnt loosing that much water, it would take a few days after topping up for the light to come back on. Audi did try replacing the exhaust gas cooler first as these have been known to leak too.

There is a TSB on 2.0TDi heads leaking.

Get it in the dealers ASAP for them to check it as it is under warranty.

Paul

Also worth checking the hoses, especially around the jubilee clips. If you've been topping up with tap water (especially because pouring in normal coolant gets expensive!) you might see some white limescale splashed around the engine bay. This has helped me on some older cars I used to run when they were losing coolant.

My petrol model leaked coolant, not as fast as yours though, gradual.

They replaced the oil cooler and all was ok.

Ive just had conformation from Audi that my 2006 2.0 TDI with 32,000 miles requires a new cylinder head

Vorsprung Durch tecknick my **** !

ooooooo sounds like the cylinder head has become porous!

Well look on the bright side - you will get a new cylinder head :)

Yeah a new head is a point !

But how long will this one last ? another 30,000 miles ??????? so its just out of warrenty ?????

Ah, what you want to do is ask Audi for a letter confirming that the warranty on the head will be 3 years from replacement as per their original warranty. You can but demand :)

I think my mind is made up , as soon as it has less than six months warrenty left its going in the Trader

stevehsv868 said:
but you dont expect a head gasket at 31,000 miles

Your lucky... I'm having a new cylinder head and it's only done 7,000. Would have done more but it's been off the road so much!

Suggest everyone regularly checks coolant for contamination!

roadrunner said:
Your lucky... I'm having a new cylinder head and it's only done 7,000. Would have done more but it's been off the road so much!

Suggest everyone regularly checks coolant for contamination!

Did your show contamination in the coolant ? mine has none at all , clean as a whistle , it just drinks coolant

Yes it did. The car was registered last November and the contamination became obvious in the first month. They changed the oil cooler and seal. Since then it has been backwards and forwards 5 times for flushing out and various other replacements in an attempt to resolve the problem. It lasts a month or so then the problem recurs. Currently having a new cylinder head. I think it is a faulty head and not the gasket.

To be honest I've lost all confidence in the car and it'll also definitely go with 6 months warranty left at the latest. If I have one more problem of the same nature then 1 year old or not I'll demand a replacement.

Shame cos its a nice car when it's going.

yeah it is a shame i love my , FUEL, OIL and COOLANT burning A3 2.0 TDI DSG

ive just got mine back after a new head , and touch wood all seems well, but as ive said before , there will be no way im keeping the car once the warrenty runs out !