2.0TDI remap - clutch freindly ones?!

Mikey

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed before. I was wondering the other day if or not there are remaps out there for the 2.0TDI (140) that dont sh4g the clutch?

I have owend a mk4 golf PD130 that had the revo treatment and after a year i had major clutch slippage. I sold the car before it was completly owned and the new owner has since fitted a new one (£££££ ouch). My best freind has a PD140 2.0TDI same as mine with Custom Code software. Had the map installed at 9k miles and at 17k miles it shagged his clutch, new clutch now fitted!

One of my older cars was a ibiza cupra 20vt that was mapped at revo and that never had any clutch issues, had that nearly 3 years too remapped.

So does any tuning company offer a clutch freindly map for the 2.0TDI?

I have been driving a pd130 for 105k Superchipped miles... still on the original clutch...

Traffic light gp's and stop start conditions would see it off quicker I reckon...

Most of the remaps out there by any good tuner shouldn't damage your clutch. We can offer a custom remap which means we can basically spread the power range right out through the revs saving your clutch or we can also give you a not so highly tuned remap which will again save your clutch.

One way of saving the clutch - don't plant your foot at every opportunity...

Clutch wear is more related to the way you drive the car rather than the remap.

Just get a Sachs uprated clutch. Be much better in the long run. I'll be purchasing one of those immediately after I get my remap

15,000 'Bluefinned' miles on my 140 so far and no clutch problems, i know i've probably jinxed myself with that last comment though... :)

Superchips don't seem to go chasing big number gains on there remaps but instead concentrate on the driveability aspect whilst still providing a good amount of extra oomph...

Mine definately doesnt suffer from the aggressive 'spike' of low end torque that some Revo and CC cars i've been in have and imo it's the low rpm/high torque scenario that tends to do the clutch in on the TDI's

110% recommendation for the Superchips from me :icon_thumright:

You'll find it has less to do with the remap than the driver. I've put nearly 80k miles on 3 revo remapped cars since 2003 and none has suffered from clutch problems. None of my customers over the years have complained about clutch slip either, but I do give them the 'be nice to your car' talk after remapping their cars.

If you dump the clutch aggressively at every opportunity or accelerate in high gers at low speed, you're bound to put excessive load through the clutch, remap or not. The same applies to cars treated roughly whether remapped or not, you're bound to cause problems.

planting your foot has no resemblance on clutch wear whatsoever. It is the times when the clutch is slipping which causes wear, ie, puling off and changing gear. When your clutch is fully engaged or fully disengaged there is absolutely no wear. Given this i dont see why any sort of remap would affect your clutch - the engine is still turning and the fact it has more torque or power shouldnt make it wear any faster - it is the way you drive the car which causes excessive clutch wear, resting your foot on the pedal, lots of stop start driving (like i do!) and harsh pull offs form a start - ie racing someone!