Has air intake reduced power?

Johnnyb

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just had the carbonio cold air intake fitted to my 07 S3, and after driving it for 2 days i cant work out if it has reduced the cars power or just made it feel smoother i.e. reducing turbo lag.

I have also previously had the forge diverter valve fitted which you could feel instant results. When i put my foot down now it doesnt seem as aggresive when the turbo kicks in, but at the same time doesnt feel any slower, could this be an increase in lower end torque in that you dont get the lag to turbo kick in the back as much?

Also, you do hear of cars being down on power after an air intake has been fitted, i was just curious to as what it is that reduces power if the intake has been modified to give improvements?

Thanks

Heat is the normal issue I think with induction kits reducing power rather than increasing. They can look good, sound good to some tastes, but sometimes that's it.

Why did you fit it?

Alone I would have thought it would do little and if you are modding the car, I wouldn't have thought it was the place to start either.

Johnnyb said:
Hi,

I have just had the carbonio cold air intake fitted to my 07 S3, and after driving it for 2 days i cant work out if it has reduced the cars power or just made it feel smoother i.e. reducing turbo lag.

I have also previously had the forge diverter valve fitted which you could feel instant results. When i put my foot down now it doesnt seem as aggresive when the turbo kicks in, but at the same time doesnt feel any slower, could this be an increase in lower end torque in that you dont get the lag to turbo kick in the back as much?

Also, you do hear of cars being down on power after an air intake has been fitted, i was just curious to as what it is that reduces power if the intake has been modified to give improvements?

Thanks

You will probably need to remap the car to get the benefit of the intake, preferably a custom remap.

The only way to know for sure what it has done to the performance of the car is to get it dyno'd, since your perception of speed and power is all over the place, its hard to tell the difference of 10bhp more or less on a 260bhp car.

Hi,

Sorry i should have said, i have had the car remaped, had it bluefined, the next step was a diverter valve which is very good, and i decided to put this on as i heard good reports about it, and that it spools up the turbo quicker. Its just at the point of the turbo kicking in thats changed slightly it actually feels to have slightly more torque higher up the rev range,

Thanks

Be interested to hear the outcome of this as I have been considering one just for looks alone under the bonnet as I didn't expect too much of a gain but if it affects performance in a negative way I'll reconsider. I'm quite happy with the S3 in standard form and have to pinch myself that I haven't had it remapped yet.

Have the Carbonio intake fitted to mine, certainly hasn't reduced power, if anything throttle response and pick up feels sharper with the intake

Simple to fit, but not Cheap, £204 including Vat and delivery