Chris NottJMB Retrofits
    4th Gear

Status

Has air intake reduced power?

Hi,

I have just had the carbonio cold air intake fitted to my 07 S3, and after driving it for 2 days i cant work out if it has reduced the cars power or just made it feel smoother i.e. reducing turbo lag.

I have also previously had the forge diverter valve fitted which you could feel instant results. When i put my foot down now it doesnt seem as aggresive when the turbo kicks in, but at the same time doesnt feel any slower, could this be an increase in lower end torque in that you dont get the lag to turbo kick in the back as much?

Also, you do hear of cars being down on power after an air intake has been fitted, i was just curious to as what it is that reduces power if the intake has been modified to give improvements?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit GSB1's Youtube Channel
    Heat is the normal issue I think with induction kits reducing power rather than increasing. They can look good, sound good to some tastes, but sometimes that's it.

Why did you fit it?

Alone I would have thought it would do little and if you are modding the car, I wouldn't have thought it was the place to start either.
    Present: Ice silver B8 S4 s-tronic saloon (standard)
    Past: Agate grey B5 S4 saloon (MRC tuned)
    Hers: Volcano red 8P A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI CR 170 sport quattro

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyb
    Hi,

I have just had the carbonio cold air intake fitted to my 07 S3, and after driving it for 2 days i cant work out if it has reduced the cars power or just made it feel smoother i.e. reducing turbo lag.

I have also previously had the forge diverter valve fitted which you could feel instant results. When i put my foot down now it doesnt seem as aggresive when the turbo kicks in, but at the same time doesnt feel any slower, could this be an increase in lower end torque in that you dont get the lag to turbo kick in the back as much?

Also, you do hear of cars being down on power after an air intake has been fitted, i was just curious to as what it is that reduces power if the intake has been modified to give improvements?

Thanks
    You will probably need to remap the car to get the benefit of the intake, preferably a custom remap.

The only way to know for sure what it has done to the performance of the car is to get it dyno'd, since your perception of speed and power is all over the place, its hard to tell the difference of 10bhp more or less on a 260bhp car.

4th Gear

Status
    Hi,

Sorry i should have said, i have had the car remaped, had it bluefined, the next step was a diverter valve which is very good, and i decided to put this on as i heard good reports about it, and that it spools up the turbo quicker. Its just at the point of the turbo kicking in thats changed slightly it actually feels to have slightly more torque higher up the rev range,

Thanks

6th Gear

Status
    Be interested to hear the outcome of this as I have been considering one just for looks alone under the bonnet as I didn't expect too much of a gain but if it affects performance in a negative way I'll reconsider. I'm quite happy with the S3 in standard form and have to pinch myself that I haven't had it remapped yet.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

1st Gear

Status
    Have the Carbonio intake fitted to mine, certainly hasn't reduced power, if anything throttle response and pick up feels sharper with the intake

6th Gear

Status
    It looks simple to fit is this the case and how much approx ?
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

1st Gear

Status
    Simple to fit, but not Cheap, £204 including Vat and delivery