Running In New S3

g5und

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed before but the search doesn't bring anything up.... I have looked, honestly!

I've just picked up my new S3 :icon_thumright: and was wondering what is the correct thing to do in terms of running the car in? The dealer told me not to bother running it in, but I'm not too convinced.

What are people's thoughts on this?

Modern engines are bench run, so i didn't bother just don't go mad bouncing it off the rev limiter for the first 500 miles or so and don't boot it before the engine has warmed up.

Others will disagree.

Dealer told me the same, but in the book it says to not use full throttle / high revs for 1500km

I didn't manage to stick to that! I've only done 700 miles but have definately used full throttle and high revs.

I never use full throttle / high revs until the temp has reached 90 though.

Hasn't used a drop of oil yet.

Mixed engine speeds but dont go above 5k rpm until 800-1000miles and it should be ok.

I did this and had no problems, I'm on 7k now and no oil consumption at all!

I ran it in until 1000... although dealer said 500 to me when i asked.
Let it warm up properly... No problems at all.

My dealer did say you could not rev it too high when cold as it would not let you? I have not tried this and wont be but my dads old polo gti would not go past 5k rpm when cold. It was like a rev limiter.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I plan to keep this car long term so I want to make sure I treat it properly in its early days.

The first 1000 miles at set revs I would personally say related to older cars with less accurate egineering tolerances. That's not to say new cars don't need bedding in a little. It is critical to bed the pistons in the first few hundred miles, drive too slow i.e. lows revs, and the barrels/rings will glaze. This will cause blow by and oil consumption. Pretty much the first few hundred miles of running is the important bit setting the engine for life. I know it goes again't what manufacturers say but according to some of them a modern car needs the same running in as a mini did 20 years ago. Should be getting my new car in about a month, I will be warming up the engine and driving the car normal with occasional load/high rpm and increasing load after a few hundred miles.