Gap insurance & service plan ??

Kris

Reaction score
Well, waiting on delivery of my S3 and pondering over Gap and service plan. So, would be interested on your guys views on the following.

1) Gap insurance - I was quoted £500 and told them too much so they said how about £450! Is this a reasonable price? Also, not sure how long i'd keep the car and will be using Audi Insurance which replaces the car with new in the first year. How many of you guys have taken out gap?

2) Pre paid service/parts/tyres - I have the service/parts package with my current A3 but i'm now not convinced it's value for money. To be honest the first thing i cocked up on was forgetting the Audi long service intervals. At present costs £240 per year so i'd probably pay twice that if i kept the car by the time it had its first service. RAC breakdown cover is included for the 3 year period but i can't see any great financial benifits. BTW: I was quoted £38 per month for the full package (including tyres) on the S3. Your views please gents.

Thanks
Kris

Pretty sure RAC cover is included with the car - it's not something you get with the prepaid service package.

I think GAP was offered to me at £399 standard. I'll check when i get home

Also on the '08 model S3/A3 the first inspection service is 3 years or 20,000 miles ( then 2 years or 20,000 ) with an oil change before that dependant on what the car tells you.

This should make servicing a bit cheaper - not sure how much they charge for an oil-change rather than a full inspection but it must be less.

Mine has done 700 miles and curently says oil change in 8300 ( or 350 days ) , Inspection in 19000 / 1050 days ish..

So it looks to me like the inspection is exactly 20k or 3 years with oil change before that.

8300 is not long for an oil change but then I drive round town a fair bit and use the right pedal too much!

It would probably take me 3 years to do 20k by which time i would have paid out over £1300 !! That's a service, a full set of tyres and cash left over. The only real benifit is if expensive none warrenty parts fail such as a turbo ...... do they though ??

I would think pretty much everything should be covered by warranty in the first three years.

Should only exclude friction stuff such as brakes, clutch etc.

If the Turbo went before 20k miles I would be looking for a free replacement!

Kris said:
Well, waiting on delivery of my S3 and pondering over Gap and service plan. So, would be interested on your guys views on the following.

1) Gap insurance - I was quoted £500 and told them too much so they said how about £450! Is this a reasonable price? Also, not sure how long i'd keep the car and will be using Audi Insurance which replaces the car with new in the first year. How many of you guys have taken out gap?

2) Pre paid service/parts/tyres - I have the service/parts package with my current A3 but i'm now not convinced it's value for money. To be honest the first thing i cocked up on was forgetting the Audi long service intervals. At present costs £240 per year so i'd probably pay twice that if i kept the car by the time it had its first service. RAC breakdown cover is included for the 3 year period but i can't see any great financial benifits. BTW: I was quoted £38 per month for the full package (including tyres) on the S3. Your views please gents.

Thanks
Kris
Printed out a GAP insurance quote from some random website of £280 showed it to Audi and they matched it. To be honest I recon they would do it for less if you pushed.

My GAP started at £600 and I paid £200 in the end,that was from the dealer so bargain hard. Tell them you can get a better deal from a motoring association you are a member of, worked for me.

Good Luck

Mark

Intresting feed back. I'll get a quote for Gap and stick it under their nose.

Regarding the service plan/parts I used the term insurance which the sales guy strongly disputed and said the plan covers parts not under the VAG warrenty and were subject to wear and tear. If you look at the service plan brochure there are a lot of expensive parts not covered under warranty such as turbo, altenator etc.

I got free gap insurance from Glasgow Audi after I pestered them for some free services. They said there was no way I would get free servicing as that's a large part of their revenue, so offered me free gap insurance. I was quite happy with that considering they also knocked a grand off the price of the car.