2.0 TDi BIG PROBLEMS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

46TheDoctor

Valentino Rossi A.K.A The Doctor
Reaction score
:w00t: I called in on friday to chat to some old friends at my local Audi dealership, i was shocked when they told me that the 2litre tdi motors are self destructing themselves, more shocked when they showed me no less than 9 2litre engines that had totally failed in the last 2 weeks, apparently the vw main agent's round the corner have another 6 2litres which the cranks were all hangin out of too! Well done Audi! The old cliche goes somethin like dont fix what ain't broken! Should have stuck with the trusty old 1900!:w00t:

Do you know whether it was the 140 or 170 bhp 2 litre TDi?

Pretty much all ages, bhp models i dont know but doubt 170 is any differrent mechanically from a 140.

So why so many problems all of a sudden? As far as I have been aware TDIs have never been more unreliable than any other engine (disregarding DPF problems).

170 and 140 are mechanically different though - 170 has extra balancer shafts which aids smooth running, which also reduces stress on components.

Thing is thats a total of 12 engines or whatever in two dealerships out of how many millions of the things - its probably not a bad success rate 99.9%. You will find that this is the case for every type and make of engine out there! An engine is a coplex piece of kit, there are bound to be a few with manufacturing faults

steve184 said:
Thing is thats a total of 12 engines or whatever in two dealerships out of how many millions of the things - its probably not a bad success rate 99.9%. You will find that this is the case for every type and make of engine out there! An engine is a coplex piece of kit, there are bound to be a few with manufacturing faults

46TheDoctor said:
more shocked when they showed me no less than 9 2litre engines that had totally failed in the last 2 weeks

9 in only 2 weeks at only 1 dealer is very bad.

Well with regard to the 170 - who cares?

Warranty + Audi Roadside Assistance = recovery and replacement car across all of Europe whilst yours is fitted with a shiny new engine

Result :)

Vertigo1 said:

Warranty + Audi Roadside Assistance = recovery and replacement car across all of Europe whilst yours is fitted with a shiny new engine

Result :)
So if yours brakes down miles from anywhere,freezing cold,you wont care.

james0808 said:
9 in only 2 weeks at only 1 dealer is very bad.

james0808 said:

I'd love to know which dealerships these engines exist at, as I'd ring as a 'concerned 2.0 TDi owner' and ask if their was a common failure.

I would expect every dealership round the country to have broken engines stacked up if there was a generic problem. To actually have a broken engine sat at a dealership that could not have spare parts fitted to sort the issue means there must have been catastrophic failures to major components. I really should stop being so sceptical!!

As for your last arguementative comment, well ............... :think:

coupe-se said:
Vertigo1 said:

Whats arguementative about that.I think if anyone broke down anywhere they would care.

coupe-se said:
Well,
kissmy1.gif
?

Gotta love the Trolls who blight all forums, their stock trade of posting in a negative manner about the brand/subject and go for the windup!!! PMSL :salute: :applaus:

coupe-se said:
Gotta love the Trolls who blight all forums, their stock trade of posting in a negative manner about the brand/subject and go for the windup!!! PMSL :salute: :applaus:
Normally i dont post negative comments,that is unless it is to boring old twats who thoroughly deserve it.

I'm as big a sceptic as anyone else but I doubt james0808 or 46TheDoctor are trolls. 1783 and 181 posts repectively.

Blind faith in our precious brand is just silly. I'd like to hear more evidence about this just like anyone else but saying it's not true because it's not widely reported is foolish. I've used this example before but...coilpacks anyone??

I am also not too concerned about this due to the warranty cover etc.....(I await a new 170 in November) although if I was buying the car eg 4 years old and 2nd hand it would certainly make me think!!

if its at one dealership - id be more likely to suspect wrongdoing at that particular dealership - could be one person in there making loads of mistakes or even someone with a beef deliberately sabataging engines!!!! who knows!!!!! its possible, albeit far fetched

Firstly neither james0808 or myself are trolls, i'm 6ft which would make me too big to be a troll. Secondly i did not start this thread in any maliscious manner to **** on anybody's chips, i'm a member of this forum and i thought seeing and knowing that of a rook of these motors have failed had some relevance to the forum, i can assure you i never made it it up and probably alot more dealers around the country have these motors hanging out of their ***** on pallets aswel. Ring your dealer and ask them for some information on the said matter, they may be a little reluctant to pass information or they may not, i dont know but i thought it would be a good idea to let you people know that you may have issues round the corner. If some of you want to ignore it and refer to me as a troll then fair enough, i just hope it don't cost you 3k for a new motor. At least rich1068 aint wearing rose tinted glasses, i'm guessing these are standard issue upon purchase of an 8p A3. Anyway i'm going to sit back under my bridge and wait for billy goats gruff to pass by.:keule:

Having spoken to a couple friends who work for VW and Audi they comfirmed to me they have seen alot of failures of the 2.0 engines including a 57 passat that needs a brand new engine fitted they reckon there is about 9 engines that have been replaced recently between the 2 dealerships here in Aberdeen

What the hell is this all about? I thought the 2.0 Tdi (140) engine was a proven unit. Been around a few years, which is why I bought my new A3. Thankfully, I don't care too much as I've still got 2 years warranty left, but intend to get another A3 next year.
Surely it can't be quite that bad, the amount of 2.0 TDI engines out there is massive! Is it, as someone said in an earlier post, just a case of 1% of the engines being ********?

james0808 said:
Of course I'd care if and when I broke down as it'd be an inconvenience.

What I meant was, the chances of my particular self-destructing are still very remote and, if it were to happen, I know I'd be able to call Roadside Assistance to get a replacement car and mine taken away plus the warranty would cover any work that needed doing. I am therefore not particularly worried about it happening to me.

If, OTOH, my car was out of warranty and I had no breakdown cover, I'd be far far more concerned, although with this many failures, even someone out of warranty would have a good case against Audi to fix it for free as an inherent fault.

Vertigo1 said:
Of course I'd care if and when I broke down as it'd be an inconvenience.

What I meant was, the chances of my particular self-destructing are still very remote and, if it were to happen, I know I'd be able to call Roadside Assistance to get a replacement car and mine taken away plus the warranty would cover any work that needed doing. I am therefore not particularly worried about it happening to me.

If, OTOH, my car was out of warranty and I had no breakdown cover, I'd be far far more concerned, although with this many failures, even someone out of warranty would have a good case against Audi to fix it for free as an inherent fault.
Whoops.Looks like i misunderstood your post.:friends:

I think if the 2.0TDI had a very serious issue, we'd know by now. This is an engine that is around four years old (also a development of the long-standing 1.9TDI) and in that time you're going to see just about every type of fault. Moreover, I can't recall any posts here on ASN describing the day when their crankshaft made a bid for freedom.

These engines would not suddenly start failing in huge numbers either, in a millenium bug kind-of-way. The truth is this is a very common engine, available in virtually all VAG products, and as others have suggested, the failures reported are only a fraction of everything out on the roads.

10 engines in Aberdeen, 15 in Chester, all in the same 2 weeks, 25 engines across 2 dealerships???? I know you ain't seen any posts before about cranks bidding for freedom, as a post has gotta start somewhere. And guess what, its about cranks bidding for freedom. Wake up and get down to the dealer and demand answers instead of blindly justifyng this problem as "a small percentage". And yes it was developed from the 1900 but these never had chocolate cranks. Errrmmm, think i'd be a tad concerned.

46TheDoctor said:
10 engines in Aberdeen, 15 in Chester, all in the same 2 weeks, 25 engines across 2 dealerships???? I know you ain't seen any posts before about cranks bidding for freedom, as a post has gotta start somewhere. And guess what, its about cranks bidding for freedom. Wake up and get down to the dealer and demand answers instead of blindly justifyng this problem as "a small percentage". And yes it was developed from the 1900 but these never had chocolate cranks. Errrmmm, think i'd be a tad concerned.

Working on assumption that there are 100 Audi Dealers in uk, Multiply this by 5 engines per week per dealer then multiply by 52 weeks per year equals . . . . . . . . . a load of ********!

benw123 said:
I think if the 2.0TDI had a very serious issue, we'd know by now

The 2.0tdi already has some very serious issues, IMO.
You don't think a litre of oil every 1500 miles, sometimes less, is serious ?
The fact some 2.0tdi's burn oil and some don't proves there are build quality/tolerance issues with the engine.
What else could it be ?
That same build quality/tolerance problems could well be leading to major failures now.
Certainly not outwith the realms of possibility.
To suggest we would somehow hear about it is nonsense.
Firstly, your local dealer isn't going to broadcast it, neither are Audi.
Secondly, the motoring press wouldn't consider it a massive expose.
Not as if the brakes are failing, after all.

bowfer said:

Plenty engine out there doing exactly the same. My gf's dad's RX8 has a bit of a drinking habit for one. But the engine is sweet as a nut!!

sat1983 said:
Plenty engine out there doing exactly the same. My gf's dad's RX8 has a bit of a drinking habit for one. But the engine is sweet as a nut!!

Completely different.
The Rotary wankel engine is known for oil consumption, as it's difficult to get the rotor tips to seal properly as they rotate around the combustion chamber.
Excessive oil consumption is NOT normal for a conventional engine though, such as the 2.0tdi.

:keule: This one goes out to VON MAXIMO. If you would take your head out of your **** for one moment and call your dealer you would soon see this is not a load of ******** as you put it, i might also add your little equation is not an exact science as some dealers may have 10 engines laid up and some may have none. GET YOURSELF AN EDUCATION YOU BLIND SENSELESS MORON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nunu:

46TheDoctor said:
Still don't buy it I'm afraid. Bowfer is right - the dealers won't tell you anything - so the only truly reliable source of information we can believe are the poor souls who drive the things on the forums. And having been a member of ASN for three years, there's still no steady stream of people reporting failures, or posting links to other boards.

Using a litre of oil every 1500 miles is obviously outside normal tolerances, but read any of the regular motoring press and every now and then you'll read about one of their long-termers with similar drinking problems.

46TheDoctor said:
:keule: This one goes out to VON MAXIMO. If you would take your head out of your **** for one moment and call your dealer you would soon see this is not a load of ******** as you put it, i might also add your little equation is not an exact science as some dealers may have 10 engines laid up and some may have none. GET YOURSELF AN EDUCATION YOU BLIND SENSELESS MORON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nunu:

There is no mention or let alone credible evidence in the press or on any other forums that there is such a serious problem with these engines. Therefore weighing up the facts of who to beleive, I would still stand my ground and state . . . . A load of ********!

And by the way, How come your so concerned about us A3'ers seeing that you drive a 1.9 A4 Jealous? I laugh in your face! ha ha ha ha

bowfer said:
The 2.0tdi already has some very serious issues, IMO.
The fact some 2.0tdi's burn oil and some don't proves there are build quality/tolerance issues with the engine.
What else could it be ?

No, its down to the way the car is driven and the length of time it's driven for. Drive your car at extra-urban speeds for 25 mile trips and you'll be lucky if it uses 750ml every 6000 miles. Drive it 1 mile a day and i'd probably expect to see a litre every 1500 miles!! The oil consumption issue is the reason the cars have changed to Longlife 3 grade and the different viscousity has cured some of the oil consumption worries. However it's still an extremeley thin oil that is required to reach the high AVS mileages and as such it can take up to 45000 miles for the piston rings etc to fully wear in. This is why the oil consumption is so high in the first 20000 miles, it eventually gets better after 30000 miles. But lets be honest now, who buys a Brand new car and keeps it longer than 40000 miles to notice that?

bowfer said:
That same build quality/tolerance problems could well be leading to major failures now.
Certainly not outwith the realms of possibility.
To suggest we would somehow hear about it is nonsense.
Firstly, your local dealer isn't going to broadcast it, neither are Audi.

In the last 4 years we have carried out 1 engine change (turbo failiure) and 4 Cylinder heads (Cylinder heads leaking coolant, common problem on the earlier engines). I find it odd how 1 centre seems to get every 2.0TDi engine that has an engine failiure, work it out for yourselves... (!!)

I'd be surprised if there are 10 2.0 TDI engine issues reported at each dealership however that doesn't really help me as my 2.0 TDI sport engine (80,000 miles and a 54 plate) has started making a knocking noise and I've been told it's more than likely a con rod issue. Either way I'm told (by an independent and a dealer) that I'd be better off replacing the whole engine rather than stripping it down further to investigate (as labour time would outweigh the cost of replacing the engine). Unfortunately it's not a £3k issue - more like just over £4k!!!

Out of Audi warranty so not ideal - surely an Audi TDI engine shouldn't fail under 100,000 miles - unfortunately Audi's answer to anything like this is 'we haven't had a significant number of issues reported therefore can only put it down to wear and tear'. V FRUSTRATING! There could well be a lot of issues out there but I can imagine Audi wouldn't be keen to acknowledge that and unfortunately only a relatively small percentage of people with issues will post them up on a forum ...

I perhaps wonder if excessive failures may be due to remaps? Are there any shady remap outfits in the region where the failures have been reported?

Nelson_Wilbury said:
No, its down to the way the car is driven and the length of time it's driven for.

Sorry, I don't accept that.
There have been quite a few reporting excessive oil use on here over the (nearly) three years I've been on here, and there is no pattern to the driving habits.
The evidence is that some burn oil and that's that.
Feck all to do with how you run it in, how you drive it etc.

bowfer said:
The evidence is that some burn oil and that's that.
Feck all to do with how you run it in, how you drive it etc.
My experience doesn't support that.

I'm on my 6th Audi, and none of them have used significant oil. I have used the same strategy for all my cars. Namely, don't go above 4000rpm for the first 1000 miles, and don't go above 3000rpm at any time, if the engine isn't up to temperature (90deg).

So, either I have been extraordinarily lucky, 6 times over, or driving habits do make a difference.

If running in and driving habits have anything to do with it, how come my previous tdi A4, or any of my other motors for that matter, barely used any ?
Are you suggesting the A3 is particularly sensitive to running-in and driving habits ?
If so, does that not suggest a problem with the engine's build quality in itself ?
Nanny it or pay for it ?
Sod that, I'll simply go for a make that builds it's engines properly.

Edit, bear in mind we have several 2.0tdi's in the fleet (Jetta,A3,A4,Passat)
All of them use oil, to the extent we've had to buy a big drum of Miller oil, to save constant trips to the dealer.
Must be a helluva co-incidence that we all drive the same way eh ?

Do I think you've been lucky ?
Quite simply, yes.

Just noticed it's not even a 2.0tdi you have !!!!