LHD headlight adjustment to UK driving

NellyJ

Reaction score
Apologies as the answer to my question may be out there somewhere, but......

I have a MY'04 LHD A3 2.0TDI S-Line and I'm trying to re-register in the UK. There seams to be conflicting info as to whether the headlights can be re-directed for UK traffic without replacement. I have std units as opposed to Xenons.

Can the headlights be re-adjusted as the replacement route is rather costly, (along with speedo, rear fog etc to make it UK compliant)?

Having had a quick look at the Elsawin workshop manual, it seems that at that time Audi were using black patches on the headlights to cut out the 'kerb-lighting' part of the headlights both for LHD in RHD countries and the other way round. So it looks like the answer to your question is No. It seems like you will need to change both headlights to RHD versions.

Many thanks. I am hoping to keep the costs to a minimum but with replacement lights and speedo there's a significant cost creep. Question - do you know if the speedo cluster can be easily removed and opened to gain access to the dials? I appreciate that the cluster is coded to the car but if I can strip down a breakers yard speedo to remove the dials and insert into my unit this will save approx. 500 quid - my cluster shows km/h only where for type approval I must also indicate mph speeds.

Thanks, NJ

NellyJ said:
Apologies as the answer to my question may be out there somewhere, but......

As far as the Headlights + Rearlight go, its not too big a deal.

You can pick up replacement UK headlights and rear lights on Ebay very cheaply, the front lights just change over and the rear ones, you can just attach wires and criss cross them over and hide it under the plastic in the boot. (Audi will say you need some special clip that costs a small fortune but my electrician friend did it with a couple of parts he had in his tool kit and some spare wire)

I had to do this on three A3's while I was living in Germany.

As for the Speedos, I havent the foggiest, you dont say where you live but chances are it will be cheaper to do it where you are than in the UK so perhaps get the parts off Ebay.

Alternatively you could do what my Polish, Slovak and other east european neighbours do and just not bother at all, just think, no speeding fines or congestion charges....

Hi

I'd like to know how you got on with all this, I've got an A3 1.9tdi 130 from Spain trying to UK register.
Did you manage to amend the cluster as the overlay is only £50? How difficult was it?
What happened with the front lights?
Why do you have to do anything to the rear?
Mine has fog lights left and right so maybe that's not an issue.

Regards

David