Buying a used A3 3.2 Quattro Sport - any advice?

liy6ml1

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post. Previously a Lotus Elise owner and forum enthusiast. Sold that couple of yrs ago and got a Pug 306 Gti - now fancy something bit more powerful (torque) and understated as somewhat bored of boyracers. The A3 3.2 seems like a perfect Q car!

I have found (and put a deposit) on a car I saw and wanted to get some advice from the expert - you guys! Details are as follows:

2003 53 Reg AUDI A3 3.2 V6 Quattro Sport 3dr
Circa 25,000 miles
Manual
Lava Grey with black leather interior
Xenons
Park distance control (for the missus :shrug:)
Front loading CD system (sorry don't know the correct name)
Front Arm rest
Heated seats

FASH and about 3 months MOT. 2/3 previous owners.

Price: £12,900 (less a £2,500 trade in for my knackered Pug)
- includes 6 month warranty -

SO (finally) - Have I got a good deal, and is there anything I should look out for?

Thanks in advance!:)

looks like a great deal - Welcome to the dark side!

Thanks jasaudi!
Anyone think it's worth getting an AA check or are these things practially bombproof as the reputation implies?

Check its had the Brake fluid changes (every 2 years) and the Haldex (Quattro) oil change (IIRC it will be at 20k on an 03 3.2) it changed to 40k on later cars.

Sounds a nice car.

If you are worried about the service, check the service book and get the dealer to check the service schedule on their systems and ask for a print out. That will tell you everything that has ever been done to it by Audi. And they can do it so don't let them tell you they can't :)

If the 2003 service book is the same as my 2005 service book there is no specific part in the service book that gets stamped for the brake service (if done at a different time to the AVS service). It will be marked as additional work (2 years) if done at same time as the AVS. This may be the same for the Quattro service? I've not checked my service book yet for that. If there is no specific section for the Haldex and nothing noted as additional 2 year work with the AVS check with the dealer or see is there are any invoices? Like "jasaudi" says an Audi maindealer should be able to confirm this has been done at a maindealer and the records where updated correctly.

"Welcome to the dark side!"

Welcome indeed.

Have fun, but start saving up for those visits to the petrol station, not to mention that from next March it will cost us £400 in road tax :(

Excellent - pleased to know less of my money will go to line the chanellors pockets.
Will need to save for Ipod connection kit (not sure which) and some sexier wheels :)

IF I coud have bought a whole petrol station I would have bought an R8 and kept the change. I'll keep dreaming and pretend that I bought this for the 4 seats (not sure why I'd explain not getting the RS4 though!)

The RNS-E is a great addition and well worth the money.

I have to say the "dark side" is definitely what owning a 3.2 feels like as everyone raves about the S3 :icon_thumright:

I have to say I am very pleased that they do, cos there are less people who understand the true power of the dark side :)

Hmmm. wasn't considering the RNS-E but may look into it. I already have TomTom though and plan on putting a Parrot into the car as well as I think that is the best £100 you can spend on a car (apart from driver training)

I'm also in the TomTom camp here (but please let's not start yet another RNS-E vs TomTom discussion).
The Parrot 3100 works fine for me too.

OK guys this is a real aim bazoka at foot and pull trigger moment - yes I have been advocating the RNS-E which I have in my A3 and it is superb and yes I love it, but the integration is not great especially when you tie it in with a bluetooth kit.

I have a parrot in my A4 - it is fabulous, no problems what so ever and a complete joy and pleasure to use.

Which is better - let's not go there :motz:

I have a theory that I will apply rigourously to my car/life experiences:- if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Hence I will keep to my parrot and avoid any unecessary headache and expense.
Appreciate the honest though guys. Makes a change from what I see in most forums which goes along the lines of: "what I have is the best and I'll defend it to the death, even if I know better!".
(Read - Audi-sport has mature members shocker!)