Front Tyres - Excessive Wear

A3ontheA3

Reaction score
hi guys
was quite shocked to notice that both my front standard 'Pirelli Rosso-whatevers' have worn down to the cord in the centre sections. my A3 SB 140 TDI (6onthefloor) is only a year old and has done 11.5k of mostly fast 150 mile motorway trips, I do run 'Bluefin' however but don't do drag racing at the lights etc..!! I know that I should attach a photo really but can only describe the tyres as knackered, the outsides are not too bad but the centre sections show the white reinforcing and are obviously well worn though are still probably legal, both are exactly the same, incidentally the rears are 'as new'. I don't check pressures religously but probably top-up every 4-6 weeks or so.
Should I have a word with the dealer..?? or accept that they've had it and replace..?? have been considering Goodyear Eagle F1's

I've the same problem with my P zeros 7k miles and centre sections on front wheels worn I reckon mine will be US before 10k will be putting Contis or possibly Michelins on.
I wouldn't bother with dealer they will say just normal wear.

The thing to remember is that the miles that you have driven bear little meaning, until you undersand the driving style. If you drive like a granny it will last a lot longer, if you drive like a hooligan a lot less.

If you are getting scrub out on the cntre of the tyre more so than the edges then you may have the tyre pressures too high

I'm getting around 11-12K from a set of fronts.
So I don't think yours is excessive at all.
I check the pressure religiously,once a week.
Not because I'm particularly worried about wear,just that the car's handling goes to ratshit if I drop below the recommended 38F/35R.

jasaudi said:
The thing to remember is that the miles that you have driven bear little meaning, until you undersand the driving style. If you drive like a granny it will last a lot longer, if you drive like a hooligan a lot less.

If you are getting scrub out on the cntre of the tyre more so than the edges then you may have the tyre pressures too high

My missus drives our A3 moist of the time on her daily motorway commute rarely going over 70mph. I check tyres pressures every fortnight.

My original set of Conti's on the car were worn out on the centre section of the tread also at 12k. The shoulders of the tyres which normaly show the most wear weren't that bad.

The fwd A3 diesels do seem to wear the fronts alot faster than may be expected and makes me wonder if the centre section wearing is a 'characteristic' of the car.

6k on and my replacement Michelin PS2's seem to be wearing a hell of a lot better.

coupe-se said:
The fwd A3 diesels do seem to wear the fronts alot faster than may be expected and makes me wonder if the centre section wearing is a 'characteristic' of the car.

Well I don't mean to rain on your parade,but it's always the outer sections that wear on my fwd diesel.
The pressures are always spot on,there are no tracking issues.
I'm told it's my 'enthusiastic' cornering that does it.
Because of the type of driving I do (mostly A/B roads),I don't think the wear is excessive.
However,if I were only doing motorway driving and they were wearing out at the same rate,I think I might be pretty hacked off.
Maybe you just can't get 'hard wearing' tyres for my 18" wheels,I dunno.
Maybe they're all soft compounds.
Remember diesel engines are heavier than petrol,so that probably goes some way towards explaining it.
Be interesting to see if the new A4 diesels do the same,as they have moved the engine back to make the weight more central.