New Milltek Trim , What would u choose ? 80mm or 90mm??

madalex

S3-less untill December
Reaction score
Original twin 90mm Jet
image525rk3.jpg

408.jpg

Or the new 80mm Non rolled slash cut
472.jpg

471.jpg
Not the best photos , i can see these style looking better on a decent photo

So what u think guys ? :hi:

The 90 mm Milltek trim is alot like the s-line optional Exhaust trim which i had on my A3
P1000140.jpg

madalex said:
Good question, not a massive fan of either really. Much prefer the stock pipes.

I'll make up my mind when I get around to fitting the milltek turbo-back! I wonder if it's possible to have to stock pipe fitted to the milltek system?

tell me about it , stock pipes best by far , i could have the pipes cut off and have anything i want but im not convinced they will b dead straight then

Twin 80mm is way nicer, if you see the twin 90 on a car it looks a mess! way too big.. all IMO ofcourse!

I've not been able to see the S3 Milltek video on their site for a while. Does anyone have a copy?

80mm look better... 90mm look way too big well they are too big. stock still the best but if you wana upgrade id personally go for the 80mm. more subtle, nice size and better looking.

90mm ones look horrid, pure chav!

80mm's look better as they are more like the original ones.

I followed a TT with twin 'chav' exhausts on Friday night.
I tried to take a photo,but couldn't.
It just looked so ridiculous.

Stock,for sure.
Seriously,if you're worried how your exhaust tips look,you've too much time on your hands.
If you want your car to be noisier than stock,you're an anti-social menace and it should be an endorseable offence,IMO.

bowfer said:
If you want your car to be noisier than stock,you're an anti-social menace and it should be an endorseable offence,IMO.

:blownose:

...Also I presume you dont ride around on that bike in your profile picture?

jonnyc said:
:blownose:

...Also I presume you dont ride around on that bike in your profile picture?

The 100% stock and road legal bike,you mean ?
I'm all for noisy exhausts being an endorseable offence,bikes or cars.

I hate noisy pipes they sound really naff IMO. To be fair to Miltek they are not usually a lot louder than standard but I'd keep the S3 standard as it sounds good and looks just right.

bowfer said:
The 100% stock and road legal bike,you mean ?
I'm all for noisy exhausts being an endorseable offence,bikes or cars.

Still, im pretty sure an S3 with a full Milltek system would be quieter than your bike..

Anyways, My S3 is de-catted and has one tiny silencer at the rear, sorry.

jonnyc said:
Still, im pretty sure an S3 with a full Milltek system would be quieter than your bike..

I can't be ***** looking up the relevant noise regulations.
The point is,if I were reported for noise,my bike is 100% legal.
I doubt Milltek exhausts display the appropriate BSAU/EU stamps,so if I were to report 'you' for excessive noise,you would face the hassle of having to put the standard exhaust back on and take it to a testing station to prove it.
You would also face a fine.
With specific reference to your car,you are probably breaking two laws.
1/Noise
2/No cat
Well done for having an illegal car,I'm sure it makes you very proud.
I consider illegal exhaust noise,car or bike (but cars are more prolific),a massive social problem at the moment.
Quite honestly,thank feck you don't live near me.
You should be grateful too,as I would report you in a flash.
The thing that gets me is that you probably consider yourself 'better' than the chavved up Corsa down the road.
I don't see the difference myself,you're both noisy twits to me.

Sorry to go on,but noisy exhausts do my fecking head in....

bowfer said:
I can't be ***** looking up the relevant noise regulations.
The point is,if I were reported for noise,my bike is 100% legal.
I doubt Milltek exhausts display the appropriate BSAU/EU stamps,so if I were to report 'you' for excessive noise,you would face the hassle of having to put the standard exhaust back on and take it to a testing station to prove it.
You would also face a fine.
With specific reference to your car,you are probably breaking two laws.
1/Noise
2/No cat
Well done for having an illegal car,I'm sure it makes you very proud.
I consider illegal exhaust noise,car or bike (but cars are more prolific),a massive social problem at the moment.
Quite honestly,thank feck you don't live near me.
You should be grateful too,as I would report you in a flash.
The thing that gets me is that you probably consider yourself 'better' than the chavved up Corsa down the road.
I don't see the difference myself,you're both noisy twits to me.

Sorry to go on,but noisy exhausts do my fecking head in....

You need to chillout mate.

siu00adg said:
You need to chillout mate.

And where do you get the impression I'm not chilled ?
Merely discussing the current obsession with louder than standard,and therefore illegal,exhausts,espeicially on a brand that used to be above this sort of thing.
I'm afraid I used to enjoy illegal exhausts,20 years ago.
Until I realised I was being an attention seeking fool.
I was able to recognise that and do something about it though.

bowfer said:
And where do you get the impression I'm not chilled ?
Merely discussing the current obsession with louder than standard,and therefore illegal,exhausts,espeicially on a brand that used to be above this sort of thing.
I'm afraid I used to enjoy illegal exhausts,20 years ago.
Until I realised I was being an attention seeking fool.
I was able to recognise that and do something about it though.
You just come across on here as a bit uptight. Maybe I'm wrong. Sorry.

As for exhausts, I personally wouldn't like it chav loud, but its nice to have a bit of a fruity note when you give it some.

Also, I wouldn't report someone to the police for something as trivial as a loud exhaust, forgive me for saying but thats a bit anal, and IMO a waste of police time.

Let me say one thing. I'd hate my exhaust to sound like it was bolted on in a Halfords car park. The reason I have chosen to get a Milltek is for the perfromance gain, not a boomy exhaust note, hence the reason I have chosen an emissions legal resonated variant.

Can I also point out that a motorbike, whether legal or not will always be louder than my car. Using the logic you apply, if an exhaust is certified road legal then you're happy with it yes?

If everyone in your street owned a Gallardo or a some other exotica then I'm sure you'd have no complaints about the noise levels! Or would you be campaining for a ban on Supercars?

CJP80 said:
Let me say one thing. I'd hate my exhaust to sound like it was bolted on in a Halfords car park. The reason I have chosen to get a Milltek is for the perfromance gain, not a boomy exhaust note, hence the reason I have chosen an emissions legal resonated variant.

:iagree:

CJP80 said:

Can I also point out that a motorbike, whether legal or not will always be louder than my car. Using the logic you apply, if an exhaust is certified road legal then you're happy with it yes?

If everyone in your street owned a Gallardo or a some other exotica then I'm sure you'd have no complaints about the noise levels! Or would you be campaining for a ban on Supercars?

Firstly,where is your proof that a road legal bike is louder than a road legal car ?
If we're talking specifically about exhausts,I doubt there's much difference.
Bike noise is primarily caused by the exposed drive-chain thrashing around.
Car noise,assuming a legal exhaust,is mostly tyre noise.
If you stay near a dual carriageway,for example,it's tyre noise you'll hear.
If a car has a legal exhaust,I can have no complaint.
Down my street,I have a Maserati something-or-other,several Porsche 911's,a Porsche Cayenne,several big Mercs and a BMW M6.
None of them are anywhere near as annoying as a car with an aftermarket exhaust.

siu00adg said:
Also, I wouldn't report someone to the police for something as trivial as a loud exhaust, forgive me for saying but thats a bit anal, and IMO a waste of police time.

That entirely depends on the scenario.
If I were to randomly report everyone I saw,I'd agree.
However,if some chav is constantly roaring past my house at all hours,I reserve the right to get fecking ****** off and report him.
That isn't anal,in my book.
It's being a noise nuisance.
It's intersting to see that several English councils have set up departments specifically to deal with noisy car exhausts.
Tip of the iceber,and you only have yourselves to blame really.
Shame it'll probably mean even more draconian measures for the majority though.

siu00adg said:
I'm sorry, what!?

If you run an illegal exhaust,you only have yourselves to blame for either being reported now,or for being part of a wider problem that eventually leads to draconian measures for all.
I'm sorry,but it really is this simple.
Just as you don't have the right to open your house windows and impose your music choice on other people,you don't have the right to impose your 'fruity' exhaust note on others.
Just grow up and go about your business quietly,for the love of god.

bowfer said:
If you run an illegal exhaust,you only have yourselves to blame for either being reported now,or for being part of a wider problem that eventually leads to draconian measures for all.
I'm sorry,but it really is this simple.
Just as you don't have the right to open your house windows and impose your music choice on other people,you don't have the right to impose your 'fruity' exhaust note on others.
Just grow up and go about your business quietly,for the love of god.

Who said I have ever run an illegal exhaust? I haven't, not once. You're the one who has fitted illegal loud exhausts (and even worse than that, to a motorcycle), so isn't it you that is to blame?

Anyways, lets stop this flamage!

bowfer said:
Firstly,where is your proof that a road legal bike is louder than a road legal car ?
Are you kidding?
bowfer said:
If you stay near a dual carriageway,for example,it's tyre noise you'll hear.
If a car has a legal exhaust,I can have no complaint.
Ok, but a road legal Ferrari on full throttle is going to sound louder than any boy racer buggy!
bowfer said:
Down my street,I have a Maserati something-or-other,several Porsche 911's,a Porsche Cayenne,several big Mercs and a BMW M6.
None of them are anywhere near as annoying as a car with an aftermarket exhaust.
Perhaps its the attitude of the inconsiderate driver that causes the excessive noise?

Perhaps its the attitude of the inconsiderate driver that causes the excessive noise?

Won't make a difference.
For a given type of driving,the illegal exhaust will always sound worse.
Driving like a nun at 30mph,or driving like a pillock,it stands to reason the loud exhaust will always sound.....er....louder ?

siu00adg said:
Who said I have ever run an illegal exhaust? I haven't, not once. You're the one who has fitted illegal loud exhausts (and even worse than that, to a motorcycle), so isn't it you that is to blame?

As I said,I fitted illegal exhausts to bikes 20 years ago and quickly realised it's a pillock's game.
Really,what purpose does it serve ?
All it does is attract attention to you,which I can only assume is the purpose.
If people hear the loud exhaust,they'll maybe notice the rest of the mods done,the dark windows,etc.etc.
Look at me,me,me ME !
If you just want looks,go for a road legal option (if there is such a thing).
I note Milltek's website 'dodges' the legality issue somewhat.
All they say is they aren't as loud as others.
So presumably,they're claiming they aren't 'as illegal' as others.

Well perhaps these kids driving around today will be on here in 20 years starting a similar thread...it's easy to see your mistakes with the benefit of hindsight.

I personally, am not interested in making my car sound louder. If it does sound slightly louder as a consequence of fitting the new exhaust, so be it. I am certain it will still be quieter than any GSX R.

Hmm.. looks like I touched on a bit of a sore point!

Oh well.. Happy motoring!!

BORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRPPPPPP!!! popoppppp...

****** pethetic , people need to live there own lives , not try and make people unhappy like them selves :faint: , If you want an s3 sounding like an Enzo so be it ,

I agree 80mm is Nicer

madalex said:
****** pethetic , people need to live there own lives , not try and make people unhappy like them selves :faint: , If you want an s3 sounding like an Enzo so be it ,

Whilst I agree with you in principal,you don't have the right to impose your choice on other people.
Do you want your neighbours blaring out music all hours ?
No,which is why we have anti-social noise laws.
Illegal exhausts are being looked at more and more closely by councils and the government.
It's such a completely pointless and incredibly selfish thing to do,IMO.
Enjoy them while you can though eh ?

bowfer said:
Whilst I agree with you in principal,you don't have the right to impose your choice on other people.
Do you want your neighbours blaring out music all hours ?
No,which is why we have anti-social noise laws.
Illegal exhausts are being looked at more and more closely by councils and the government.
It's such a completely pointless and incredibly selfish thing to do,IMO.
Enjoy them while you can though eh ?

I think your missing the point a bit Bowfer. These guys aren't on about tearing round the streets at 3 in the morning. :no: Also the Milltek system, from what I've read, isn't really any noisier that the normal system - just a different tone :music: , although of course it's all about the performance gains :) . I've never heard it so I can't really comment - have you? I suspect like all technology, things have come a long way since the exhausts you used to fit. I can't see how the Milltek system would come even close to the noise produced by say the RS4 :hubbahubba: (now there's a machine!!)?

The current law from what I can see (in case anybody is still with us by now) is:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/environment/cvtf/theenvironmentalimpactsofroa3793?page=5#1011

And to pass the MOT I think it's down to the tester for what is excessive.

I completely agree that if someone way tearing down my street is the small hours (especially if I was on a street with Masseratis and Porsches) I'd be mighty p*ssed! But the "legality" of their exhaust would be the least of my worries... I'd have them regardless :gun2: .

I think the 90mm looks better, but not as good as what's fitted as standard (for what it's worth).