Single Din to Double Din...

mdre83

Reaction score
Anyone know whether it's possible to convert a single din into a double din, moving the climate controls down etc...

Cheers

it is and there are instructions on line and craig on here has done it, try and search and it should come up.

it isn't too easy though and you have to trim the climate control unit as the single din version is bigger than the double din.

Yep, I did it for the RNS-E conversion
It is fairly easy as long as your fairly competent mechanically and can stand the sight of your A3 dash with all its guts hanging out!!
The hardest things to do are actually swapping to the double din cage and cutting down the climate unit.
You will need a double din cage, all the switches, card tray and facia surround, plus depending on what radio etc your putting in, you'll need associated connectors.

I did mine one evening and it took approx 2 hrs

Hope that helps

mdre83 said:
Anyone know whether it's possible to convert a single din into a double din, moving the climate controls down etc...

Cheers

This is a good link to show you how to dismantle your dash.

How much smaller is the double din climate control compared to the single din one?
Is there much to cut away?

With the facia surrounds, is it possible to get one that is exactly the same colour/texture of the original. As you've probably guessed I'm looking to fit an aftermarket HU rather than the RNS-E unit :eyebrows:

I've currently got an aftermarket (Single Din) HU installed, but the surround I bought is slightly a different colour/texture. To look at from a distance it's fine, however up close you can tell the difference.

Excellent link mate, cheers :icon_thumright:

The double din climate control is not just a straight trim off either side, it needs a double angled cut off each side, a case of a bit at a time and trying it, I used a junior hacksaw and a small sander. I have seen the correct climate units come up on ebay though from time to time.

I wouldn't know about the facia surrounds though as IMO the RNS-E is the best way to go to fully integrate with the dash and the DIS. It's also a great unit on it's own merits!

Anyone got any pics of their sat nav retro fitting in a single din A3? Just wondered how well they fitted. Do they look factory? Has anyone dealt with S8craig? Any pics? Just curious!

They are exactly the same as factory fit because you use all the same parts. Can't get any pictures of mine at the moment as the cars at the dealers, while I slum it in a 57 plate A6 lemans:cool:, but I can take some when I get it back.

Cheers craig!! Does the climate control sit further back from factory?

**edit**it does! Looks spot on!

whats the finish like on the edges after cutting and sanding?

Cheers for the info...

pics are cool, cheers mate.

mdre83 said:
whats the finish like on the edges after cutting and sanding?

Suppose it depends how good you are at doing it, mine is spot on, but then I'm used to scribing and cutting things.

Don't fancy cutting down the single din climate controls for the coversion, also don't fancy paying £450 for the double din ones.

Anyone out there wanting to do a double to single din conversion that is willing to swap the controls?

...or if anyone know where I can pick them up cheaper, please let me know

Cheers

eBay item number 110174056833 no bids and starting at a tenner.

24b5_1.JPG
1416_1.JPG

You owe me a pint! ;)

:beerchug: there on me mate....what a find!

only one thing putting me off, I aint got heated seats :think:

what you think...?

Cheers :icon_thumright:

Think of it this way, two extra switches are free!!