S3 & MTM

Astakos

Reaction score
Hello guys!

I didn't have the chance to write in this forum mainly due to my not having enough time!

I had a chat today with the Greek dealer of MTM (I live in Greece) and he told me something that I still cannot believe.
According to his sayings, MTM when remapping the new S3, actually removes the engine rev limiter. I am not talking about the speed limiter, which I do know quite well that it is removed. I am talking about the actual rev limiter !!!!:motz:

I think this is outrageous! It is the silliest thing I've ever heard and a tuning house with the reputation of MTM will ever do!!!
If this is true it puts, apparently, so much in danger the entire engine and actually affects the reliability and longevity of the remapping itself!

Therefore, for all you guys out there that you have MTMed your new S3, is that the case? Is actually MTM that retarded?:gun2:

Thank you all guys for your replies!

I'm not familiar with MTM remaps, or anything with the 8P A3, but in an old shape S3(8L), if you have it REVO'd, the rev limiter is removed also, so it can rev into the red bit of the rev meter, but only by an additional 200 revs or so. I've also driven a Big turbo IHI A3 1.8T with 330ish BPH with a raised rev limiter running on standard internals. So personally, I'm sure a removed limiter is reasonably safe for the engine, like how often do you hit the rev limiter when driving on the limit anyways? You will still change up, as when it goes pass the original limiter, you will feel the power drop off, and change up accordingly.

I would have thought they'd have raised it but not removed it altogether.

Chris.

s3bow said:
I would have thought they'd have raised it but not removed it altogether.

Chris.

Chris, that's I have been told! He was talking about removal not just a couple 100s of revs up!

I rarely thrash my car but on the occassions I have I have hit the rev limiter in the first 3 gears and think it is there for a reason, not sure I'd be happy with it being removed completely, assuming the same 'safety/reliabilty' tolerances are built into the rev limiter by the manufacturer as all other engine components it should be safe to raise it a little to exploit the extra power - this sounds more realistic but I have no proof.

I think Klauster has an MTM remap, I'm sure he'll be along soon and may be able to confirm the story.

Regards, John.

in my old s3 i was able to redline it... owned the car for over a year had a bigger turbo on it too but gave me no problems... has jojo says how often do you hit the rev limiter neway.
as for the new S3 im sure its safe and reliable to do so... although im leaving mine as it is...

Redlining it is one thing, completely different from over-revving the engine without having the slightest "safety pin" or any other secure way!

I think completely removing (if true) the rev limiter is extremely dangerous!

I have already sent an e-mail to MTM Germany, but I have yet to receive an answer!! :mad: