High mileage chipping

robby

Reaction score
Well i've just bought a 2003 2.0tdi sport with 83k, it's just had a new timing belt and full service but i'm wanting to have it remapped - will it be asking for trouble at this mileage?

cheers

No you should be fine especially with the super strong diesel engines! If the service brought no problems up then i'd say go for it, we've done cars with alot higher mileage then that on them and never had any problems!

Thanks - the only diesel car i've had chipped before was a Fabia vRS which only had 20k on the clock
The map gave excellent results so with the higher starting point of the A3 i'm hoping not to be dissapointed :)

As was said , these cars are only just run in with 20k on the clock and they keep getting better
I had mine mapped with 100k on the clock so am still happy with mine and I got better fuel economy
Of that was a Fabia 100PD
Sarah

There is at least two people on this forum who have had turbo failure with re-mapped 2.0 TDI engines @60k miles, just as the warranty has run out! Expensive!!.

ScottTDI said:
There is at least two people on this forum who have had turbo failure with re-mapped 2.0 TDI engines @60k miles, just as the warranty has run out! Expensive!!.

Really? A link or two would be nice.

I guess if the car is serviced properly and the car isn't thrashed all the time it should be ok?

robby said:
I guess if the car is serviced properly and the car isn't thrashed all the time it should be ok?

Thats how I see it. There always a certain amount of luck involved with these things as well.

my mums car is totally standard 2.0 TDI DSG and has had a new turbo fitted at 55,000 miles

and the same wiht a friends megane 225 , new turbo and cat , just as the warrenty expired.

personally if you let your turbo cool down after a drive , for example drive steady for the last few miles, and then let the engine tick over for a minute or so

if you turn your engine off with a hot turbo , the oil is no longer running through the turbo bearings , and so there is no more cooling affect from the oil. this oil then gets boiled by the turbo , and this leaves burnt oil deposits in the turbo , these can build up , and cause a restriction in the oil gallery , leading to the turbo being starved of oil , and which leads to bearing failure .

ScottTDI said:
TBH, with something as expensive to fix as a knackered turbo, I'd not be at all surprised if Audi refused the claim even if the car was under warranty should they discover the car had been remapped.

Equally there must be many cars out there with mega miles that have been remapped with no issues, we have to remember that people tend to shout about problems with their cars but keep quiet if all is fine.
IMO even if you remap you are unlikely to rag the car all the time so if mapped to a sensible power level and the car is looked after as mentioned in this thread it wouldn't put me off. The 2.0tdi shows significant gains not only in actual power but driveability I wouldn't hesitate, in fact I've had 4 done to date with the most recent being the wifes 2.0tdi DSG and she covers 30K per year.