New A4 pricelist

I like the new look, there is a feature in Septembers audi driver and all looks promising. The now previous model (B7) is a superb car and far quieter than the A3 2.0tdi's so if Audi have addressed a few of the minor issues with that model should be a winner for them. The stereo upgrade is superb for that price.

Apologies to David R,didn't notice you posting this in the A4 forum 20 hours ago !

No problems. Are you interested?

There are several video reports on the new A4 on the Audi TV website at http://tv.audi.com/. Have a look in the 'On the Road' section.

It's an American site but it's the same as the Audi Germany TV site, only it's in English - or at least what the American's think is English!

it looks good to me, much more likely to go for an A4 than an A3 when and if I change.

alhough very dissapointed to see that the new ipod interface which sounds great requires Navplus to operate.

It looks a terrific car.

I wonder of the new 2.0 CR diesel will be available in the facelifted A3 next year ?

dm_irish said:
alhough very dissapointed to see that the new ipod interface which sounds great requires Navplus to operate.

I noticed that,but I wouldn't take that as gospel.
There are several things about that price list that are evidently wrong.
It's clearly a very,very,rough draft.
Audi would have to be dreadfully silly to make buyers go for satnav,just to get ipod.

I am interested in the new A4,but I'll get clarification of prices etc.first.
Maybe wait for S-line prices to come out.
It does look quite expensive though.
Around £24000 for the basic SE (no cruise as standard,which is crap)
+£500 for metallic paint
+£550 for Bose
+£190 for cruise (which is standard on every other competitor)
+£200 for three spoke steering wheel
+£200 for ipod (guessing,going by current prices for it)
+£400 for sports seats
+£1000 for the sports suspension

That's you up to £27K,for a car with a 143bhp diesel engine....
Hmmmm....
Not very competitive Audi,is it....

One could get a good spec 320D with 163bhp for that.

Base price for a 320D SE is £25,940, and you would have to add most of the things you list as extras on that too.

When I last costed a 320D SE to the same spec as my current car on the BMW configurator, it came out well over £29k.

mfspen said:
Base price for a 320D SE is £25,940, and you would have to add most of the things you list as extras on that too.

When I last costed a 320D SE to the same spec as my current car on the BMW configurator, it came out well over £29k.

If you're comparing like for like,powerwise,we should be looking at the 318D.
Exactly the same 143bhp.
An SE spec one of those is £24790.00,with cruise control and an MF steering wheel as standard.
A 320D SE is £25940.00,as you say,but it actually has 177bhp.
I suppose this is where the quandry lies.
Standard 320D with more power,or specced up A4/318D with less.

bowfer said:
.... I suppose this is where the quandry lies.
Standard 320D with more power,or specced up A4/318D with less.
Agreed.

I'd be happy with the 143bhp A4, as it pushes out 320Nm of torque compared to the 280Nm from my car (which certainly isn't lacking in 'go' !)

Think I'll keep an eye on the chipping companies.
If I can chip a 143bhp A4/318D,then I could have the best of both worlds.
Interesting that the B+O is 'only' £550.
It's price and spec suggests it's just a straight replacement for Bose.
I'd need clarification of the i-pod situation first though.
It MUST be a typo to suggest you need satnav to get i-pod !?!?

With regard to the LED headlights (described as 'daylight running lights').
Stupid question maybe,but can these be switched off during the day ?
They might be welcome at night,but they look proper w*nk during the day (seen them on an A6/A8).

One of my colleagues at work is in the market for an A4 or 3-series after March next year - his first reaction was to faint at the price increases, his second sheer bemusement at the lack of Petrol engine options.

Why put an asthmatic 1.8 in a car like that? Just for the company car market? This car cries out for an option between 1.8 and 3.2

Covenant said:
Why put an asthmatic 1.8 in a car like that? Just for the company car market? This car cries out for an option between 1.8 and 3.2
I dare say that the 2.0T will be available eventually.

I doubt that the 1.8T would feel asthmatic though. Yes it's 40bhp down on the 2.0T, but it's torque curve is flat right down to 1500rpm, so with slightly lower gearing it will probably feel pretty similar in everyday driving.

I agree with Bowfer I think is a very rough draft to start off with to get initial interest and discussion.

It's going to be interesting to see what they class as standard on the Sport model and S line when eventually they come on line.

bowfer said:
I'd need clarification of the i-pod situation first though.
It MUST be a typo to suggest you need satnav to get i-pod !?!?

not so sure bowfer, I know navplus have been working on an ipod interface, maybe they have come up with it and it is an easy way for audi to say they have it now?

very dissapointing as it looks an impossible retrofit of navplus in the new a4 with the buttons around the gearstick

Sure I read in a car mag last week that they expected new A4 prices to be less than the current model because of savings made. There again, car mags are invariably wrong when it comes to guessing the price of a new model.

dm_irish said:
not so sure bowfer, I know navplus have been working on an ipod interface, maybe they have come up with it and it is an easy way for audi to say they have it now?

very dissapointing as it looks an impossible retrofit of navplus in the new a4 with the buttons around the gearstick

confirmed it on the audi.de configurator that you can't spec the ipod interface without the navplus.

It's farcical that a company like audi who are supposed to be 'ahead' of everyone else technology wise can't even have a feature like an ipod interface in their latest car.

This feature has been available on the cheapest of the cheap cars for years now, how can audi think this is a satisfactory situation?

dm_irish said:
confirmed it on the audi.de configurator that you can't spec the ipod interface without the navplus.

It's farcical that a company like audi who are supposed to be 'ahead' of everyone else technology wise can't even have a feature like an ipod interface in their latest car.

This feature has been available on the cheapest of the cheap cars for years now, how can audi think this is a satisfactory situation?

If that is the case,that's the A4 out for me.
£550 for a B+O upgrade that I can't connect an i-pod to ?
If correct,absolutely ludicrous !
It's so unbelievable I am still assuming it's a mistake in the brochure and website,to be honest.
I'm hoping someone,somewhere,will go "oops" and we can laugh about it.
Except it isn't funny.

I'm going to e-mail Audi CS for clarification.
I'll post their reply.

I think there may be some confusion regarding the fancy 'Audi Music Interface' option, which is separate from the Concert and B&O options, since on page 10 of the brochure it says :-

"Audi Concert radio – CD-player with MP3 capability and 6.5"
colour display
Audi sound system speaker package, 10 speakers including
sub woofer (180 Watts)"

One thing is clear - the initial brochure is an edited version of the A5 brochure, and it does contain errors. I spotted 'A5' instead of 'A4' in one place.

I have just looked at the brochure for the new A4 on the Audi Germany website and translated the item about the Audi Music Interface using Babel Fish. No a perfect translation but I think it gives the gist of the information and it seens that this is only available with the DVD Navigation System

"AUDI music interfaces for the binding of Apple iPod starting from generation 4 (iPod, 205.88 iPod mini, iPod nano, iPod photo, iPod video) as well as USBSpeichermedien and MP3-Playern (only USB 2,0), operation over the MMI system, the radio plant and/or the multi-function leather steering wheel (if along-orders), accommodation in the glove subject (reference: Only with navigation system with DVD orderable and only with special adaptor cable [ available over AUDI original accessories ] usable)"

My take on it is that the AMI is an optional enhancement to Nav Plus (which happens to include an MP3 interface).

But if instead of Nav Plus, you upgrade the standard Chorus audio to Concert (or its B&O further upgrade), that also comes with MP3 interface.

mfspen said:
My take on it is that the AMI is an optional enhancement to Nav Plus (which happens to include an MP3 interface).

But if instead of Nav Plus, you upgrade the standard Chorus audio to Concert (or its B&O further upgrade), that also comes with MP3 interface.

thats wrong, the AMI is the ipod interface.

The confusion is all yours imo. The concert radio with 'mp3' capability just means it can play mp3 CDs just like the current one, nothing to do with ipod.

You need MMI to use it on the Q7, A8 and A6 and it appears only way to get MMI on A4 is with Navplus

The Audi music interface offers a market-leading, unique and intelligent integration with the iPod. Any iPod Generation 4 and higher (iPod, iPod nano, iPod photo) equipped with the Dock Connector may be connected to the supplied adapter cable. The main iPod menu structure will be displayed on the MMI screen. The central control knob on the MMI panel, or the multifunction steering wheel controls, may be used to easily navigate through playlists, albums, artists, etc. The Audi music interface also charges the iPod battery while it is connected

New features that differentiate the Audi music interface system from other systems with MP3 compatibility include its adaptability with future generation devices. The Audi music interface uses a standardized 18-pin connector in the glovebox. The adapter cable with the iPod Dock Connector is just the beginning; various adapters, including USB, are under future consideration.

More info on the system working in MMI cars:

http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Features/printer_2601.shtml

Fair enough.
But I don't think I would let something as trivial as an iPod interface put me off buying the car !

The AMI interface is a full control system for iPods, allowing you to access the contents via the nav screen and control it using same. For that reason it requires the nav system to operate. TBH this seems reasonable as it's a fair step above the usual "ipod" interface most manufacturers tout, when in fact it's nothing more than an AUX audio input.

What is surprising is that they don't offer such a simple AUX audio input for A.N.Other MP3 player (iPods included) for those who don't want or need the full features of the AMI system.

AMI has been available on the A8 for a while now, here are some threads with a bit more detail:

http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/experience/technology/Audi_Music_Interface.html

http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5296&highlight=ami

Vertigo1 said:
The AMI interface is a full control system for iPods, allowing you to access the contents via the nav screen and control it using same. For that reason it requires the nav system to operate. TBH this seems reasonable as it's a fair step above the usual "ipod" interface most manufacturers tout, when in fact it's nothing more than an AUX audio input.

What is surprising is that they don't offer such a simple AUX audio input for A.N.Other MP3 player (iPods included) for those who don't want or need the full features of the AMI system.

AMI has been available on the A8 for a while now, here are some threads with a bit more detail:

http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/experience/technology/Audi_Music_Interface.html

http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5296&highlight=ami

not sure that is reasonable at all vertigo, if you pay £500 for a stereo upgrade with a 6" colour screen you still can't use an ipod? even when willing to pay more than the price of an ipod to get the interface on top of the stereo upgrade!?!?

Basically I'd expect the stereo in a brand new 'luxury' car to have the features of a £200 off the shelf headunit as standard. Even if audi are going to charge you the £200 or so for the honour for a cable it wouldn't be unusual. But no, they want to charge you what, around £3k as the only way to get an ipod interface? How on earth could that be considered reasonable? It's a joke! (Never mind the fact that they are raping you in the price of the satnav to begin with)

I can't believe audi have manged to put me in the Bowfer camp. Their attitude to technology and pricing is farcical.