Badger5EM Tuning
    Mo
    Neutral

Status

Concert III to Rns-E

Alright everyone ! Havent been on in a while due to holidays and work but im still loving my S3. Im just getting around to installing my RNS-E and need to ask a quick question.

I've got the concert III stereo, i think !! What i need to know is what cables if any do i need. I thought it was plug and play but now im thinking i need an adaptor.

I know this info is out there for me to find but i dont have time as im in work so id be very grateful if someone could help me out.

Thanks
    Mo
    07 Phantom Black S3

2. # ADS
    ADS

R8GGA

Status
    you want one of these!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Plug-Play-SET-...QQcmdZViewItem

sorted me out perfectly. Radio removal keys proved particularly useful!
    awesome cars; both gone now though
    2004 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro S-Line DSG inAvus Silver, RNS-E Sat Nav, GSM, 18" RS4's, Bose, Tints
    2008 S3 3Dr, GIAC HAMMER, Phantom Black, RNS-E Sat Nav, GSM, FBMFSW, Optics, Privacy, Ipod, Rear Sensors, Armrest
    Weekend / Summer:
    2002 Ferrari 360 Modena, Nurburgring Silver, Bordeaux leather
    2006 BMW M6

Lord of War

Status
    Don't think you need anything. The Concert3 should be a straight swap, the older Concert2 needed a cable kit (as shown above)

Mo
    Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the fast replys guys. I went onto kufatec.de and it doesnt have an adaptor listed for the concert III so i think Eeef might be right. Ive been searching for a concert III to Rns-e install guide but no luck so far. Any more info appreciated

Thanks
    07 Phantom Black S3

1st Gear

Status
    I was under the impression that when talking to Craigyb the other day that the New S3 might be missing an Antenna for a straight swap, I've not seen him since to follow up. If this is the case then you might need a couple of extra bit. Craigs the guy to check with tho.
    Nothing to see here: Woofdoggy , move along please........

6th Gear

Status
    Hi Mo, You don't need the ISO to quadlock adapter as your car already has the quadlock fitted. It's not as plug and play as some folk think, there are some wires to move depending on your setup. Here is a link to my thread on Navplus detailing the changes. I put my GPS antenna under the dash close to the left hand airvent which requires removing the glovebox. You'll also need access to vagcom to code the unit for your car and to tell the car you have navigation.

The antenna issue "ZF short to ground" is simple to explain but tricky to fix. Basically the RNSe tells the antennas in the rear screen which has the best signal and therefore which one to use. So it has one antenna input and one output back to the electronics in the tailgate. In the Concert II+ or III units Audi changed the setup so the head unit decides which antenna has the best signal so it has two antenna inputs only (no output). More info and diagrams here

Regards, John.

Mo
    Neutral

Status
    Thanks John, i read your post on sat nav before, it helped a lot. I got it sorted last night and im well impressed, i didnt know it showed so many different things, well worth the . I need to get the vag-com sorted now.
    07 Phantom Black S3

6th Gear

Status
    No probs.

R8GGA

Status
    Whoa, should have checked my facts, sorry for the erroneous post! I assumed your Concert III was like my Symphony II, now I know better...
    awesome cars; both gone now though
    2004 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro S-Line DSG inAvus Silver, RNS-E Sat Nav, GSM, 18" RS4's, Bose, Tints
    2008 S3 3Dr, GIAC HAMMER, Phantom Black, RNS-E Sat Nav, GSM, FBMFSW, Optics, Privacy, Ipod, Rear Sensors, Armrest
    Weekend / Summer:
    2002 Ferrari 360 Modena, Nurburgring Silver, Bordeaux leather
    2006 BMW M6

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo
    I need to get the vag-com sorted now.
    Is there someone in the Belfast area that can do this for you?
    S3 Sportback (8V) - May 2014 - Estoril Blue - S-tronic, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Tinted windows, Flat Tyre Warning System
    My other baby: www.babybmw.net

Mo
    Neutral

Status
    I haven't found anyone in Belfast yet Chanlon but there is a guy in Lisburn who can do it. I want someone who's familiar with Audi's though
    07 Phantom Black S3

1st Gear

Status
    Not sure if it is any help this side of the water Mo, I stay just the other side of Glasgow if you want a hand. Done loads of Audis now.

Terry

57 Plate Imola Yellow S3

likes his V6

Status
    Here's a rather strange question to ask.

How much do you realistically save doing a manual (2nd hand?) install over a new install? Debating whether i can really be bothered to try. Given that you have to spend £250 extra on an S3 to get the Concert II/III which you then lose, then £500? or more on a unit that might/might not work and then additional tools to install or new cables?

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LDoR
    Here's a rather strange question to ask.

How much do you realistically save doing a manual (2nd hand?) install over a new install? Debating whether i can really be bothered to try. Given that you have to spend 250 extra on an S3 to get the Concert II/III which you then lose, then 500? or more on a unit that might/might not work and then additional tools to install or new cables?
    All new A3s from model year 2007 onwards come with double DIN headunits (ie the Concert II+) so no need to spec the symphony (with internal 6CD) any more. All the 2007 cars have the required quadlock connector, so just a few wires to move to suit the spec of your car. Cant see the issue really.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS3
    so just a few wires to move to suit the spec of your car. Cant see the issue really.
    In the case of an A3/S3 without Bose - no wires to move.

In the case of an A3/S3 with Bose - just 1 wire to move, the Bose wire.

Only on cars with K-line diagnostics (like the B6/B7 A4) do you need to move the K-line wire as well.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

Dorsprung Turch Vechnique

Status
    Sounds so simple!

likes his V6

Status
    All new A3s from model year 2007 onwards come with double DIN headunits (ie the Concert II+) so no need to spec the symphony (with internal 6CD) any more. All the 2007 cars have the required quadlock connector, so just a few wires to move to suit the spec of your car. Cant see the issue really.
    Ok, thanks for the response. Very useful. This option is really starting to tempt me now. I was on the verge of putting the order in tonight. But now want to get a few questions resolved. I note that the RNS-E has the buttons for controlling the blue tooth hands free. Given that my mobile is a samsung that is not compatible with any of the arm rest chargers, do i actually need to specify the bluetooth preperation in the car to get bluetooth once i get RNS-E. i could save myself 2500 of list price by going this way.

Also what is meant by "moving wires" for the Bose system. Do you just mean, connect the wires...

Is there anybody in the North West with VAGCOM who like to do the recoding when i eventually get the car.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LDoR
    Ok, thanks for the response. Very useful. This option is really starting to tempt me now. I was on the verge of putting the order in tonight. But now want to get a few questions resolved. I note that the RNS-E has the buttons for controlling the blue tooth hands free. Given that my mobile is a samsung that is not compatible with any of the arm rest chargers, do i actually need to specify the bluetooth preperation in the car to get bluetooth once i get RNS-E. i could save myself 2500 of list price by going this way.
    If you spec the GSM kit in the armrest (385), the armrest too (95) and the multifunction steering wheel (270) you have a fully functioning bluetooth car kit that works with the standard headunit. The cradle is only for charging and using the phone antenna on the roof.

Also what is meant by "moving wires" for the Bose system. Do you just mean, connect the wires...
    Have a read here for more info. The Bose wire is on a different pin on the RNSe.

Is there anybody in the North West with VAGCOM who like to do the recoding when i eventually get the car.
    S8craig is in the Manchester area, he'll probably do the coding if you pop up to see him.

HTH

1st Gear

Status
    Hi Mo, You don't need the ISO to quadlock adapter as your car already has the quadlock fitted. It's not as plug and play as some folk think, there are some wires to move depending on your setup. Here is a link to my thread on Navplus detailing the changes. I put my GPS antenna under the dash close to the left hand airvent which requires removing the glovebox. You'll also need access to vagcom to code the unit for your car and to tell the car you have navigation.

The antenna issue "ZF short to ground" is simple to explain but tricky to fix. Basically the RNSe tells the antennas in the rear screen which has the best signal and therefore which one to use. So it has one antenna input and one output back to the electronics in the tailgate. In the Concert II+ or III units Audi changed the setup so the head unit decides which antenna has the best signal so it has two antenna inputs only (no output). More info and diagrams here

Regards, John.
    Can I confirm the "ZF short to ground" issue doesn't apply to 07MY with Bose?
    2008 VW Golf R32 3dr

DBP :: RNS510 :: Winter Pack :: Retrofit Cruise :: OEM LED Tail Lights :: R-line badges ::

Neutral

Status
    no, it does. I have it on a MY07 Bose car with retro-fitted RNS-E