Concert III to Rns-E

Mo

Reaction score
Alright everyone ! Havent been on in a while due to holidays and work but im still loving my S3. Im just getting around to installing my RNS-E and need to ask a quick question.

I've got the concert III stereo, i think !! What i need to know is what cables if any do i need. I thought it was plug and play but now im thinking i need an adaptor.

I know this info is out there for me to find but i dont have time as im in work so id be very grateful if someone could help me out.

Thanks
Mo

Thanks for the fast replys guys. I went onto kufatec.de and it doesnt have an adaptor listed for the concert III so i think Eeef might be right. Ive been searching for a concert III to Rns-e install guide but no luck so far. Any more info appreciated

Thanks

I was under the impression that when talking to Craigyb the other day that the New S3 might be missing an Antenna for a straight swap, I've not seen him since to follow up. If this is the case then you might need a couple of extra bit. Craigs the guy to check with tho.

Hi Mo, You don't need the ISO to quadlock adapter as your car already has the quadlock fitted. It's not as plug and play as some folk think, there are some wires to move depending on your setup. Here is a link to my thread on Navplus detailing the changes. I put my GPS antenna under the dash close to the left hand airvent which requires removing the glovebox. You'll also need access to vagcom to code the unit for your car and to tell the car you have navigation.

The antenna issue "ZF short to ground" is simple to explain but tricky to fix. Basically the RNSe tells the antennas in the rear screen which has the best signal and therefore which one to use. So it has one antenna input and one output back to the electronics in the tailgate. In the Concert II+ or III units Audi changed the setup so the head unit decides which antenna has the best signal so it has two antenna inputs only (no output). More info and diagrams here

Regards, John.

Thanks John, i read your post on sat nav before, it helped a lot. I got it sorted last night and im well impressed, i didnt know it showed so many different things, well worth the £££. I need to get the vag-com sorted now.

I haven't found anyone in Belfast yet Chanlon but there is a guy in Lisburn who can do it. I want someone who's familiar with Audi's though

Not sure if it is any help this side of the water Mo, I stay just the other side of Glasgow if you want a hand. Done loads of Audis now.

Terry

Here's a rather strange question to ask.

How much do you realistically save doing a manual (2nd hand?) install over a new install? Debating whether i can really be bothered to try. Given that you have to spend £250 extra on an S3 to get the Concert II/III which you then lose, then £500? or more on a unit that might/might not work and then additional tools to install or new cables?

LDoR said:
Here's a rather strange question to ask.

How much do you realistically save doing a manual (2nd hand?) install over a new install? Debating whether i can really be bothered to try. Given that you have to spend £250 extra on an S3 to get the Concert II/III which you then lose, then £500? or more on a unit that might/might not work and then additional tools to install or new cables?

All new A3s from model year 2007 onwards come with double DIN headunits (ie the Concert II+) so no need to spec the symphony (with internal 6CD) any more. All the 2007 cars have the required quadlock connector, so just a few wires to move to suit the spec of your car. Cant see the issue really.

JohnS3 said:
so just a few wires to move to suit the spec of your car. Cant see the issue really.
In the case of an A3/S3 without Bose - no wires to move.

In the case of an A3/S3 with Bose - just 1 wire to move, the Bose wire.

Only on cars with K-line diagnostics (like the B6/B7 A4) do you need to move the K-line wire as well.

JohnS3 said:
All new A3s from model year 2007 onwards come with double DIN headunits (ie the Concert II+) so no need to spec the symphony (with internal 6CD) any more. All the 2007 cars have the required quadlock connector, so just a few wires to move to suit the spec of your car. Cant see the issue really.

Ok, thanks for the response. Very useful. This option is really starting to tempt me now. I was on the verge of putting the order in tonight. But now want to get a few questions resolved. I note that the RNS-E has the buttons for controlling the blue tooth hands free. Given that my mobile is a samsung that is not compatible with any of the arm rest chargers, do i actually need to specify the bluetooth preperation in the car to get bluetooth once i get RNS-E. i could save myself £2500 of list price by going this way.

Also what is meant by "moving wires" for the Bose system. Do you just mean, connect the wires...

Is there anybody in the North West with VAGCOM who like to do the recoding when i eventually get the car.

LDoR said:
Ok, thanks for the response. Very useful. This option is really starting to tempt me now. I was on the verge of putting the order in tonight. But now want to get a few questions resolved. I note that the RNS-E has the buttons for controlling the blue tooth hands free. Given that my mobile is a samsung that is not compatible with any of the arm rest chargers, do i actually need to specify the bluetooth preperation in the car to get bluetooth once i get RNS-E. i could save myself £2500 of list price by going this way.

If you spec the GSM kit in the armrest (£385), the armrest too (£95) and the multifunction steering wheel (£270) you have a fully functioning bluetooth car kit that works with the standard headunit. The cradle is only for charging and using the phone antenna on the roof.

Also what is meant by "moving wires" for the Bose system. Do you just mean, connect the wires...

Have a read here for more info. The Bose wire is on a different pin on the RNSe.

Is there anybody in the North West with VAGCOM who like to do the recoding when i eventually get the car.
S8craig is in the Manchester area, he'll probably do the coding if you pop up to see him.

HTH

JohnS3 said:
Hi Mo, You don't need the ISO to quadlock adapter as your car already has the quadlock fitted. It's not as plug and play as some folk think, there are some wires to move depending on your setup. Here is a link to my thread on Navplus detailing the changes. I put my GPS antenna under the dash close to the left hand airvent which requires removing the glovebox. You'll also need access to vagcom to code the unit for your car and to tell the car you have navigation.

The antenna issue "ZF short to ground" is simple to explain but tricky to fix. Basically the RNSe tells the antennas in the rear screen which has the best signal and therefore which one to use. So it has one antenna input and one output back to the electronics in the tailgate. In the Concert II+ or III units Audi changed the setup so the head unit decides which antenna has the best signal so it has two antenna inputs only (no output). More info and diagrams here

Regards, John.

Can I confirm the "ZF short to ground" issue doesn't apply to 07MY with Bose?

no, it does. I have it on a MY07 Bose car with retro-fitted RNS-E