s3 or tt ?

audi_driver

S LINE
Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys would choose between an s3 or a tt? I have an 8p a3 sline and told my gf that if i get a new car itll have to be the s3 which she replied " it just looks the same as ur car" what do you guys think? The tt is still too feminine for my liking

I've been through the same brain thoughts myself. I test drove both cars on the same day the the S3 made me feel way happier.

The TT interior and exterior is gorgeous (although I'm not keen on the lights) and there's a white one on the Sixt forecourt I see nearly everyday and drool over. But it is a bit of a girls car. Not too practical. And more expensive. Even with the 2.0 (losing the quattro of course) and the sports suspension only, not magnetic ride, and the same options as the S3, the TT was about £500 more. And to get closer performance by taking the 3.2 (yet still slower) costs another 5k.

For me I simply don't like it THAT much. I felt way cooler in the S3 too because it's a special car and far rarer.

S3 in ibis white with all the toys - makes sense!

A much better deal than the TT, more room, more fun, bigger boot, more tuning portential for the money!

A tt is a bit of a hairdressers car in my opinion - dont get me wrong though i do like them but i will never own one

staz1000 said:
Even with the 2.0 (losing the quattro of course) and the sports suspension only, not magnetic ride, and the same options as the S3, the TT was about £500 more.

Did the options really make that much difference ?

According to the Audi UK site, the base OTR price of the TT is £24.9k and the S3 is £26.8k.

The TT in base spec and S3 are a bit different tho - TT has no Xeonons, leather etc as standard.

I have no doubt we will see a 2l Quatro TT sometime soon, and when you are able to compare like for like performance wise it will come down to nothing more than body style.

I went S3 because it has more room for the kids, the TT was just a bit tight for them.

I think the TT will have better residuals (Coupe) marginally, but the TTr is already not looking so hot - with 6 month old TTr's below list.

mfspen said:
Did the options really make that much difference ?

According to the Audi UK site, the base OTR price of the TT is £24.9k and the S3 is £26.8k.

Yeah the S3 has quite few standard bits like xenons and heated seats. I just put in all the extras that are standard and that I want and it was 300 quid more. And only FWD and 200bhp. No thanks!

TT with magnetic ride for me next time - I might be getting old, but S3 and Sline suspension is annoyingly hard unless you go for aftermarket kits.

Covenant said:
....Sline suspension is annoyingly hard unless you go for aftermarket kits.
I agree. The Sportback version is markedly more comfortable though.

I prefer the looks of the tiTTy, but practicality would rule it out for me. Actually, I probably won't go for the 2.0T next time either, as I'm sure that gas guzzlers are going to be increasingly targetted by 'green' taxes in future. The new VED bands are just the thin end of the wedge IMO.

I had the same dilema and love the TT - 2 things swayed it for me the first being TT availability followed by very limited space - I rarely carry passengers but would like the option.

Boydie said:
S3 in ibis white with all the toys - makes sense!

A much better deal than the TT, more room, more fun, bigger boot, more tuning portential for the money!

A tt is a bit of a hairdressers car in my opinion - dont get me wrong though i do like them but i will never own one

I have to agree with Boydie, the S3 is far more practical, try and get two suitcases in a TT!!

Covenant said:
TT with magnetic ride for me next time - I might be getting old, but S3 and Sline suspension is annoyingly hard unless you go for aftermarket kits.

Have you driven one? I"m told it's a bone shaker (IE track option) when it's switched on.

JohnS3 said:
Have you driven one? I"m told it's a bone shaker (IE track option) when it's switched on.

That's the point - I need to drive to test obviously, but one setting for comfort and one for caning it :racer: seems like the best of both worlds to me.

JohnS3 said:

There's a good review of it in this months Evo Fast Fleet. Highly rated!

audi_driver said:
she replied " it just looks the same as ur car"

Most women are the same, they cant tell the difference between a performance model to a normal one, mine is until i pointed out the differences and it was "oh yeh it does look totally different!"

Shao_khan said:
I think Technically Sir you couldnt wait - hence the current steed ;)
Yeah, not a bad old donkey to tide me over, is it? :icon_thumright:

staz1000 said:
I test drove both cars on the same day the the S3 made me feel way happier.

Thats what happened to me.....felt the S3 was alot more rewarding to drive than the TT.

After buying the S3, a friend got a TT 3.2, I've driven that and not felt any difference to the S3

Autocar this month states a RS TT will be produced in 2009 with a turbocharged 2.5 engine from the Jetta in the US apparently its built already and awaiting the green light. To directly go against the Porsche Cayman etc its got around 350bhp.

Also a S TT has already been given the green light with the engine from the S3!!

So Audi have the engine, but will they have the balls to put it in the A3?

if the TT-S is going to happen it will be a very nice car to drive!!!

Lighter than the S3, with the same engine and quattro, I think it will be a beauty...

Pedro

Just hope they put it in the S3 and slap an R on the front. That's what I'm holding out for, sadly seems a long way off still.

JamS3 said:
Autocar this month states a RS TT will be produced in 2009 with a turbocharged 2.5 engine from the Jetta in the US apparently its built already and awaiting the green light. To directly go against the Porsche Cayman etc its got around 350bhp.

Also a S TT has already been given the green light with the engine from the S3!!

350bhp TT will DESTROY the Cayman, would be much closer to the 911

I'd love to see an RS3 with that 2.5 in a couple of years, would definitley trade in the S3 for one! :) My moneys here for the taking Audi, just build the car god damn it!