A3 in Superman Returns

B

Boydie

Lois Layne drives an A3 lol i presume its a 3.2 V6 but I think the engine note in the movie is fake as well as the brake skid lol

Sportback though :(

its on sky premiere now by the way:salute:

Probably a V6 yeah.

I watched a programme the other day where they were interviewing "famous" people who liked cars. They had this american actor on (didn't know who he was) and he was talking about his favourite car, a Plymouth Prowler, which his mum got him when he was 17. He said it's a V6 so it's good on fuel, and the British interviewer was nodding in agreement. What the hell kind of country thinks a 3.2l V6 is economical!?!?!

staz1000 said:
What the hell kind of country thinks a 3.2l V6 is economical!?!?!

Well, it's a lot better than our big block V8s.

Keep in mind fuel efficiency awareness is a relatively new thing here in the United States. During the "energy crisis" in the '70s, our solution was to lower speed limits not increase the efficiency of our engines!:ermm:

lol imagine i turned up there with my 3dr derv a3 - they would be gobsmaked!

Was in NY in May and the US is in a state of almost total panic over fuel prices right now. The prices are going through the roof compared to what they used to be (they're paying about half what we do now, as opposed to about a fifth not that long ago) and not only are many Americans driving huge V8s which drink fuel like you wouldn't believe, many of the manufacturers over there just don't have economical engines to offer.

I'm sure I heard that GM was going to start selling the Astra over there, albeit with a slightly different appearance and a different name. All of a sudden fuel economy is a big issue for them and they haven't a clue what to do about it so they're turning to Europe where we've been designing cars with this in mind for decades.

.:R2theT said:
During the "energy crisis" in the '70s, our solution was to lower speed limits not increase the efficiency of our engines!

Actually the average fuel efficiency during the OPEC embargo increased, but has again decreased since the early 90s.

EDIT: Yes Vertigo you're right. Apparently all the green people in America want the government to increase fuel costs to help solve the problem of pollution and using more fuel than can be suppied in the long term. The government is reluctant though as the car manufacturers "donate" a lot of money to the parties, also as the europeans are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of the efficiency game it'd severely damage the american car market! It's a sticky old mess.

The USA sportback is only available with the 3.2.
Or at least,that's the way it was when the Superman film came out and I had a quick look at the Audi US website.
But that was ages ago.
Diesels are making their mark in the US.
They'll probably take to them quite well,as they favour torque above BHP.

Audi still don't sell a single diesel though! Crazy yanks

You aren't able to get 51 cetane diesel in America, so engines designed for the EU market (where its been law since 2000 for diesel to be at least 51 cetane) will not work properly. The manual for my car says to put a minimum of CN51 diesel in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetane_number

You can boost cetane with additives though can't you? And it wouldn't be too hard for the US to start making better fuel is there was a demand.